• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Blue Shark issues.

Blackwaterdiving

Newly Enlightened
I recently built two dive lights designed to hold the 6-die Osram Ostar LED, running off a 14.7li-ion battery. Due to recommendations on this site, I chose the blue shark driver to run it.

I bought two of these drivers, and assembled both units. When I assembled the first, there was a little flame from the IC, and the unit functioned in direct drive. THE SECOND WORKED PERFECTLY (I've been diving the assembled light for several months now without issue).

I tried to contact The Sandwich Shoppe for some indication as to what I did wrong, I received no technical response. Chalking it up to a bad soldering job or just bad luck, I ordered another (order #16539).

When I received the new driver, I was VERY careful about assembling it. When I connected it to load and power, I found that it did boost - but only slightly, like .5v vout vs vin. When i turn up the trim pot, the LED began to get bright, but at about 1/4 turn flickers and goes dim for the remaining 3/4 of the wiper's travel.

Can anyone PLEASE tell me what's wrong here? Can I send the driver back for inspection? I'm certain I assembled this correctly, I checked for problems, I was careful about polarity. I don't know what the problem is, but I'm getting a bit frustrated. Would a short video help?

Thanks.

Dave

Last edited: