Street Photography

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The current climate of slight paranoia on the streets about photograpers
is putting me off though, should it??

Not at all! You're doing nothing wrong by taking photos in public, even of other people. Even, for that matter, of the police, after some recent clarification was provided.

Regards,
Tempest

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well i watched that in mute, and i think i still understand when he made some hand gestures, about not looking through the view finder, cos people will react to it.

Unless someone is holding a camera up to their eye, people dont generally think they are taking a picture.

I do this all the time...:tinfoil:

surreptitiously taking pictures is easy.
or else, use a DSLR with crazy zoom lens, or even telephoto, and take pictures of stuff reallllllly far away. people dont mess with you if you look professional either.

Crenshaw

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
or else, use a DSLR with crazy zoom lens, or even telephoto, and take pictures of stuff reallllllly far away.

Try the same DSLR with a 50mm lens for street photography :) Much more fun.

Regards,
Tempest

LEDobsession

Enlightened
or else, use a DSLR with crazy zoom lens, or even telephoto, and take pictures of stuff reallllllly far away. people dont mess with you if you look professional either.

Crenshaw

I do both in public. If you have a massive zoom lens, people seem to think you're hard at work.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do both in public. If you have a massive zoom lens, people seem to think you're hard at work.

wearing vest full to bursting with odd camera stuff will probably help too...:sssh:

i suspect that they think that if someone has spent thousands of $ on a lens like that, they probably arent being creepy....unless they are REALLLY creepy

Crenshaw

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Has anybody any experience of street photography? Any shots they would like to share?

Streets eh, you mean like this?:

4greab.jpg

For discrete public candids, try one of these:

http://www.camerafilters.com/pages/rightanglelenses.aspx

iapyx

Enlightened
Street Photography with people you mean.
I find it one of the hardest thing to do: photographing people. I don't mean portraits, but like what you mean: streetpeople.

I really like photography (and do mostly black&white). It's in the line of my education (archtecture). There's one thing I try to avoid: keeping my camera diagonally. It's too much a trick for effect. (I don't always live up to my own rule though)

Nice video!

DoctaDink

Enlightened
I, as most people, am somewhat intimidated by pushing my camera into someones face or space, so I have found that it is easier to capture some of those candid shots by letting the camera hang around my neck with my trigger hand casually holding the camera so as to look at rest, and surreptitiously trip the shutter without making a scene. It is helpful to shorten the strap to cause it to rest higher on the chest to avoid the "shot from the ground" appearance. I've also found that if the camera is on a tripod, you can set it up and stand next to it casually, and take photos without stirring up much attention. Can also set a self timer or interval timer, though that gives less control. I have found this useful in cultures where people are less use to, or comfortable with having there photos taken.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've actually posted this before in another thread....

its more of a back alley than a street...but hey..why not..:eek:

ColorfulColumns.jpg

Crenshaw