Coleman 8D Twin LED: Run Time? Recommended NiMh & Charging System?

LEDrechargeman

Newly Enlightened
Hello Everyone,

I'm thinking of purchasing the new Coleman 8D Twin LED Lantern - High Performance model #2000001808 primarily for power outages. The higher lumen output (580) is appealing. The spec sheet for this model does not list the run time for low and high settings like most of their other spec sheets.

Questions:
1. What is the run time with alkaline D cells?
2. What NiMh D cells are most appropriate for this lantern?
3. What is the run time with CPF recommended NiMh D cells?
4. Which charger is recommended for 8 NiMh D cells? Ideally, I'd like a charger that can be powered by 120v AC and 12v DC (for a 12v solar panel in case of a prolonged power outage).
5. Which solar panel is recommended for this application?

Thanks!

LEDrechargeman

Newly Enlightened
After reading the following two posts from another thread, it looks like I need to consider other lanterns. Please feel free to delete this thread. Thanks.
-the build quality, I am sorry to say, stinks. With my Favourlight, I feel a sense of security that if I dropped it it might survive, and that it would do just fine in a pouring rain. I do *not* get the same sense of confidence from the Coleman. The plastic base is very, very cheaply made, and feels almost brittle. No o-rings in sight down there! I get the impression that if dropped with eight meaty LSD D cells inside, the thing would just crack right along the bottom. Bad Coleman!

LEDAdd1ct
+1 on being cheaply made.Took mine back because of it.Other than the build quality Coleman has done a good job with this lamp.Maybe in the future they will get it right.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
As an indoor emergency lantern or work light, it isn't awful, and it sure is bright. But you know how by holding something and examining something, you either get the feeling "this is well made" or "this is made/put together poorly/cheaply"? Well, when working/playing/evaluating the Coleman 8D Twin LED High Performance/Output, I get the feeling "this is made/put together poorly/cheaply."

I would have to say that the one thing that really made me cringe is the fact the base is spray painted/painted metallic grey. From a distance and from the photo online, it looks like metal. Painted plastic? :sigh:

For your specified use, power outages, it may still be worth considering. For the immediate future, I will be holding on to mine, but with reservations about having to baby it.