Quick Review: ARC AAA

Smaug

Newly Enlightened
Construction: 10
I don't see how they could have built this light any better. Hard anodized aluminum, good grip on account of the knurling, and the perfect size to be thrown into a pocket or purse and forgotten about until the time comes. For someone who carries keys in his/her pocket, it is too big to be on the keychain. For those people who have a gi-normous mass of keys which they carry in their coat pocket or purse, it is fine. It would probably get beaten up and look all crummy but still work. The clip that is now included on it is the same as you would find on an old-style pen: a tight metal one that can only clip comfortably onto something thin. Still, it is a good idea to include it as different people will react differently to it. (it would be perfect to clip onto a backpack, for instance...) One last thing to justify that high score. in a pinch, you could put this between your ear and your head and use it as a makeshift headlamp.

Beam: 10
If you buy this light thinking of a Mag-Lite Solitaire, you will be pleasantly surprised. This little ARC absolutely annihilates the Mag and anything else in it's size range. It puts out about the same amount of light as my Pelican L1, which runs on 6V worth of expensive (by comparison) button batteries. Please understand that when I give the beam of this light a 10, it is for its size. I also gave the beam of the Streamlight 4AA a 10, but it's a different class, of light, yes?

Overall: 10
I really can't think of any improvements that could be made on this light. I have given extremely high reviews to all the lights I've reviewed so far, but that is on account of having done a lot of research before buying. (thanks everyone)

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
The clip has really surprised me. I've used it on a hat brim that's a little more than 1/8" thick expecting it to bend out and lose its spring, but it's still the same tight little bugger that it was to start with. In spite of all the critism that this clip has received, I suspect that it might be like the rest of Peter's stuff - quality!