• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Anyone ever have a PEAK fail on them?????

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
I know that I have not...I wonder if any of you have.
:popcorn:
Also- what do you guys think the lifespan (hrs) of the Eiger Rebels will be
when running the 10440 Li Ions in them- I am guessing it will not be as long as if I was running the NiMH or Alk in it due to the heat issue.
Any guesses?

Curt R

Enlightened
Of the 8000 plus lights that we have built about 35 have had a 5 mm LED go out in the first several years of production. About 5 of those have been with the newer dash 29 snow white LED. Another 10 or 12 of the larger lights have failed and about 15 others have had the battery button re-soldered and returned.

Two FR 1000 lights with a broken feed wire to the LED and returned. Those were 12 gauge shot gun mounted units with corespecops.com in the first week. No problem with their other 30 and is has been 8 months of field duty operations.

Curt

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
Of the 8000 plus lights that we have built about 35 have had a 5 mm LED go out in the first several years of production. About 5 of those have been with the newer dash 29 snow white LED. Another 10 or 12 of the larger lights have failed and about 15 others have had the battery button re-soldered and returned.

Two FR 1000 lights with a broken feed wire to the LED and returned. Those were 12 gauge shot gun mounted units with corespecops.com in the first week. No problem with their other 30 and is has been 8 months of field duty operations.

Curt
That's what I am talking about- rock solid reliability- and on the slim chance something goes wrong- they will fix it. I keep telling people to give PEAK a chance as an EDC and they get all hung up on the web site- they just don't know what they are missing. I would bet dollars to donuts that a Fenix engineer would NOT have fielded this question regarding their product. Take a chance people- you might just like what you find.

Last edited:

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
Gotta love Peak...especially the brass Peaks! :naughty:

yeah- the brass has silky smooth thread action and nice look. I am digging the SS for the durability- but it is third on the list for thermal conductivity- HA, Brass then the SS.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope, never had a Peak fail me---and I've been buying 'em since I joined up here in 2004.

About the only problem I can recall is that my brass pocket body Matty wobbled a bit while tailstanding. I sent it back to Robyn and Curt and they leveled it off and sent it right back. They will take care of you. :thumbsup:

Andrew

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had a number of PEAKs fail - fail to escape from Lightnappers, with the result that my collection has been slipping away light by light. I attribute part of this to my fondness for polished brass PEAKS.

As for LiIons, which I now use almost exclusively (except in the 2 X AAA and 2 X AA bodies), none of my PEAKs have been damaged or, so far as I can tell, affected in the least by heat. Having discussed this at length with Curt - who knows infinitely more than I about this subject - it appears that failures will more likely be in the form of a gradual degradation of performance as the LED phosphor coating is slowly eroded by heat. But the design and build of these lights has been enhanced by the use of a heat-transfering epoxy which surrounds the heatsink and which certainly seems to work well in drawing the heat away from the LED and circuitry.

Before PEAK's Eigers appeared on the scene, Curt advised that running LiIons with 5mm's would significantly reduce LED lifespan. However, the 5mm's and P'4s in my many PEAKs have not suffered in the least from LiIon heat. Time will tell about the Rebels in the Eigers. If any heat related problems do develop I suspect that it would be principally due to the smaller mass of the Eigers and perhaps due to the lower heat-transferring efficiency of SS and Brass bodies that are so popular. If any such problems are reported in the future, we can switch over to HAIII's, or Eneloops, or just ignore them.

Other types of failures? I've had none at all, which seems to me to be the result of phenomenal engineering and the careful way in which PEAKS are built. I am fortunate enough to live nearby, have witnessed first-hand the manufacturing and assembly process of these lights, and am truly impressed with their quality. There is, of course, room for improvement: MORE BRASS and MORE KNURLED SS!

fyrstormer

Banned
Gotta love Peak...especially the brass Peaks! :naughty:
You brassheads and your...brass...headed...ness...

Anyway, I prefer stainless. Hard as a rock, easy to refinish, and non-tarnishing. That being said, I have two of their aluminum lights and the only reason one is chipped is because I managed to fling it on the ground while drunk-walking a little too enthusiastically, but a little Aluminum Black cleared that up.

fyrstormer

Banned
Curt advised that running LiIons with 5mm's would significantly reduce LED lifespan. However, the 5mm's and P'4s in my many PEAKs have not suffered in the least from LiIon heat.
I have noticed a small amount of radiant heat with my McKinley running on a 3.6v RCR123, as opposed to a primary, but I'm really loathe to throw away batteries.

There is, of course, room for improvement: MORE BRASS and MORE KNURLED SS!
Nah, the real improvement will be the introduction of mokume special editions, aged a year in the sun like fine...er...something. :naughty:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Though brass and SS aren't as thermally conductive as aluminum, I imagine that their increased mass [heatsink] offers about the same amount of protection. But I'm no expert, so I just buy both!

Theatre Booth Guy

Enlightened
The closest thing I've had to a failure is dirty battery contacts - made for a flickery turn on and a little dimmer than normal. A quick wipe and they were back to performing like new!

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
I've had a number of PEAKs fail - fail to escape from Lightnappers, with the result that my collection has been slipping away light by light. I attribute part of this to my fondness for polished brass PEAKS.

As for LiIons, which I now use almost exclusively (except in the 2 X AAA and 2 X AA bodies), none of my PEAKs have been damaged or, so far as I can tell, affected in the least by heat. Having discussed this at length with Curt - who knows infinitely more than I about this subject - it appears that failures will more likely be in the form of a gradual degradation of performance as the LED phosphor coating is slowly eroded by heat. But the design and build of these lights has been enhanced by the use of a heat-transfering epoxy which surrounds the heatsink and which certainly seems to work well in drawing the heat away from the LED and circuitry.

Before PEAK's Eigers appeared on the scene, Curt advised that running LiIons with 5mm's would significantly reduce LED lifespan. However, the 5mm's and P'4s in my many PEAKs have not suffered in the least from LiIon heat. Time will tell about the Rebels in the Eigers. If any heat related problems do develop I suspect that it would be principally due to the smaller mass of the Eigers and perhaps due to the lower heat-transferring efficiency of SS and Brass bodies that are so popular. If any such problems are reported in the future, we can switch over to HAIII's, or Eneloops, or just ignore them.

Other types of failures? I've had none at all, which seems to me to be the result of phenomenal engineering and the careful way in which PEAKS are built. I am fortunate enough to live nearby, have witnessed first-hand the manufacturing and assembly process of these lights, and am truly impressed with their quality. There is, of course, room for improvement: MORE BRASS and MORE KNURLED SS!
All excellent points- also, I would not consider a failure of an Eiger at this point a true failure since I have switched from Eneloops to the Li Ion 3.7v. It does create extra heat and I fully understand that heat may shorten whatever the lifespan is of the Rebel with a 1.2 NiMh or 1.5 v Alk.- I still am thinking it will last longer than I expect it will- and it is crazy bright!

+10 for the more knurled SS and Brass:twothumbs

Last edited:

22hornet

Enlightened
It has been my experience that Peaks go on forever and take almost any abuse.
When something goes wrong, it is bad from the start, after that, when/if they function correctly, they will remain doing so.

My Peaks that were bad from the start:
- A luxeon III Pacific that was "dead on arrival" It worked for a few minutes, then it went dim, then it went out. I got it replaced it and the replacement works admirably.
- A Mediterranean (luxeon III) that arrived without a front lens.
- A Baltic that was not really waterproof and had a fogged reflector after a shower. So I had to fasten the head components better and lube the O-rings.

Whatever flashlight I carry, I always carry a Peak or ARC (AAA) as well, as these are the flashlights I trust the most. And, somehow, I have the feeling that I am right :).

Kind regards,
Joris

cnw4002

Newly Enlightened
Yep, i just had one fail tonight. It is an Eiger for AAA lug body, cool tint, power level 6, brass. I ordered it on 09/08/13, now what do I do with it.

Eiger AAA/10440
• MATERIAL : Brass
• BODY STYLE : Lug
• COLOR : Cool
• BEAM ANGLE : Narrow
• POWER LEVEL : 6
$39.95
Yes
$39.95
Subtotal:
$39.95
Shipping:
$5.00
Tax:
$0.00
Total:
$44.95
Order Confirmation
Confirmation
Order Date:
08/13/2009
Order Number:
yhst-73555118081639-3926

Last edited:

cnw4002

Newly Enlightened
It is only a month old, it does not need cleaning. It is also a brand new Lithium primary battery. It still lights some but after a few minutes it goes out. It you shut it off it will not light. It almost seems as if it overheats and won't work until it cools down.