How to Clean an Automobile Windshield?!?!

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I give up.

One of my pet pieves is a dirty windshield in my car. Drives me totally nutz. I'm very good at getting the windshield clean (inside and out), but my problem is that no matter what products I use, I seem to develop a blueish/greyish haze on the inside of the windshield after a few days to a week. I'm not sure of the source of the haze since it happens in all cars (i.e. wife's car, my old car, brother's car, Mom's car) that I've cleaned over the years and seems quite persistent.

I have used a variety of products that all work very well in getting the windshield clean, but yet after a few days the haze comes back. Some products worse than others. Its almost like there is some sort of residue from the cleaners, or the maybe the microfiber cloths that I'm using. I do get the same result using paper towels also... along with lint :mad:

The haze that I refer to is very minor mind you.... most people would barely notice it, but if you get very close to the glass and wipe your finger on it, you would notice that the haze would wipe off with your finger.

So what's the deal with the haze?!?! Am I using the wrong products, wrong technique, I live in NJ, global warming? Any clue.

Oh, and no I don't smoke.

So I have made it my mission to come up with the ultimate window cleaning proceedure. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
MSax

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
If it's a new car, it could just be some of the volatile plasticizers used in the plastic fittings and upholstery condensing on the inside of the windshield. If so, leaving the windows open a bit on each side might help. Also, it should diminish in time.

Last edited:

Vinniec5

Enlightened
It's the outgassing of the plastic/vinyl as PhotonBoy says to clean it easily use a 2 to 1 mix of water and Isopropyl Alcohol in a spray botttle. Ammonia based window cleaners work well also but most dont recommend for car windows anymore i still use them anyway, you have to be careful around stick-on tinted windows as the ammonia cuts the glue that the only worry. If the buildup is really heavy use straight Alcohol then go over it with window cleaner to remove the streaks so you aren't blinded in the rain or at night. I use plain paper towels only no newspaper or cloths they hold the oils and ink and just smear it around, its looks clean till you drive at night or against the sun. I don't recommend using washer solvent because of the blue dye it just smears. Its there so noone drinks it

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
use microfiber cloth, dry.apply pressure, idk what that haze is, i too have it, can't really stop it from coming, but mf cloth does good job of getting rid of it.
i noticed, i doesn't come in dry climate, my guess it is condensate, mixed with your exhale gases, defrost\defog or even just an airflow on your windshield creates temp. difference, thus moisture, plus byproduct of human respiration are not pure co2.
i rarely see that haze on back window.

1 what

Enlightened
Wow - I thought I was the only irritable old man who got upset about the stuff on the inside of the windscreen! It drives me nuts when I drive of a night.
I've noticed that it does not decline a lot as the vehicle gets older and older and older and so I wonder if it really is "outgassing" from automotive plastics etc or if its a deposit from the aerosol of GKW in the air coming into the car. Does anyone out there live in a pristine environment and drive a very old car - if so do you get this "Stuff"?

oronocova

Enlightened
I too demand my windows be clean perfectly clean and my wife hates it because it holds us up. Invisible Glass works really good and a clean microfiber cloth, or even two clean cloths one to clean it the first time and use the second clean one for another wipe. I have found that one microfiber cloth doesn't equall another microfiber cloth. They ones made just for glass or with a "finer weave" work best. I also have seen a "as seen on tv" gadget at walgreen for 10 bucks just for inside glass. Looks like it would work pretty good.

All that info and I still get streaks :-/

DimmerD

Enlightened
Do you ride with the windows down? That can lead to road grime getting inside, also can lead to your headliner starting to fall. Don't clean if it's hot or even warm, wait till it's cool. Some do better with Windex, others not. Have you tried just rubbing dry newspaper to buff it out? If you are using towels that have been through your washing machine then fabric softeners can still be in the towel smearing on your windshield. How about just plain water and a good chamois?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Same problem here. Some good advice here, thanx guys. Subscribed.

For me, microfibre works best for now, but not perfectly. I'll try some of the above mentioned tricks.

bernie

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
i rarely see that haze on back window.

Hmmm... That's true. I either don't get it on the back window or its just that I'm constantly looking through the front so I notice it more there. I'll have to inspect that further.

It's the outgassing of the plastic/vinyl as PhotonBoy says to clean it easily use a 2 to 1 mix of water and Isopropyl Alcohol in a spray botttle.

Interesting theory. Is it the off-gassing of the plastics or is it the oxidation of the chemical residue from the cleaners. No mater what cleaner you are using there will always be some residual left behind. So maybe clean it with the normal glass cleaner and then followup with IA spray wash as a finish? If the haze still comes after then it would definitely lead creadence to the plastic off-gassing theory. As scary as that seems.

Then again, I had a Nissan Pathfinder with 403,000 miles and I still had the hazing issue with that vehicle. So I'm thinking its some sort of oxidation issue.

Good ideas though guys.

MSax

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are using towels that have been through your washing machine then fabric softeners can still be in the towel smearing on your windshield. How about just plain water and a good chamois?

That makes sense to me. My microfiber cloths are right out of the dryer and "springtime fresh". So maybe those chemicals are being left behind and oxidizing over time?

MSax

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I give up.

One of my pet pieves is a dirty windshield in my car. Drives me totally nutz. I'm very good at getting the windshield clean (inside and out), but my problem is that no matter what products I use, I seem to develop a blueish/greyish haze on the inside of the windshield after a few days to a week. I'm not sure of the source of the haze since it happens in all cars (i.e. wife's car, my old car, brother's car, Mom's car) that I've cleaned over the years and seems quite persistent.

I have used a variety of products that all work very well in getting the windshield clean, but yet after a few days the haze comes back. Some products worse than others. Its almost like there is some sort of residue from the cleaners, or the maybe the microfiber cloths that I'm using. I do get the same result using paper towels also... along with lint :mad:

The haze that I refer to is very minor mind you.... most people would barely notice it, but if you get very close to the glass and wipe your finger on it, you would notice that the haze would wipe off with your finger.

So what's the deal with the haze?!?! Am I using the wrong products, wrong technique, I live in NJ, global warming? Any clue.

Oh, and no I don't smoke.

So I have made it my mission to come up with the ultimate window cleaning proceedure. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
MSax
Off gassing...probably not the cleaner.

adnj

Enlightened
The best cleaners that I have used are Airkem Vivid (aerosol) and Rain-X Anti-fog (pump). I only use a clean cotton towel.

The haze is dirt/particulates that collects because of the condensation that forms on all windshields. The particulates are usually hydrocarbons from fuel and oil in traffic, brake dust, tire wear residue, and cigarette smoke.

A/C or defroster venting is aimed at the windshield and unburned fuel/oil is mixed with the moisture that is sticking to the inside windshield. The fuel/oil layer clings to the glass and the visible haze starts to form. The need for defroster venting is why the windshield gets the thickest haze. There is constant airflow into vehicles, usually through the windshield and footwell vents.

You will always notice the haze more at night because of headlamp glare and the angle of the windshield to oncoming headlamps.

One way to cut down on the issue is to park your car in an attached garage. every night. It has to do with rapid changes of atmospheric humidity outside of the car.

Last edited:

762x51

Newly Enlightened
Invisible Glass works really good and a clean microfiber cloth, or even two clean cloths one to clean it the first time and use the second clean one for another wipe.

+1. Stoner Invisible Glass and a quality microfiber glass cloth are the tools to use. And yes, there is a difference in quality with microfiber cloths. Get good ones from a shop specializing in auto detailing like Autogeek.

FRANKVZ

Enlightened
It could also be vinyl protector that you've sprayed on your dash heating up in the sun and leaving a film. That's also why it would be worse on the windshield as most cars have fabric beneath the rear glass.

Archie Cruz

Banned
One word.
Brillianize.
Good enough for aircraft cockpit windows, almost all plastics, your windhshield and mine, and All my computer and other video screens!
Spray, spread in circles, change cloth, keep going in circles till all haze is gone.
Brillianize.
In 25 years, it's all I could find that stays on the job at least a week.

fredb

Newly Enlightened
After washing and towel drying, I've found ordinary newspaper to be the absolute best for getting all the windows absolutely streak-free and crystal-clear. I've never had any issues with ink transferal.