• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Cree bar

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,
I am toying with the idea of making a cree bar for a either a fixed lighting or a portable light. I have the XR-E emitters but need to source all the rest.

What to I need exactly? I have noted the folowing :
- the strip MCPCB
- the cree bar itselft (heasink)
- the cree bar "kit" including the covers etc
- a xitanium converter or some other regulation circuit

Last but not least : can I reflow solder my emitters to the MCPCB? Can I do it at home in my oven? Can I do it with a good soldering iron?

Thanks for any tip and info

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
If they are stars, you can reflow with a good iron (think more than 20W at the very least) but more likely a gun-type would be good for reflowing. You could also always use the stove if you have one of those neat flat-top ceramic stoves... Just use very little solder, or use paste if you can.

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
No the CREE that I have are XR-E emitters, not stars.

Do you think I can solder the emitters to the strip MCPCB with solder and a soldering iron? Or is it mandatory to reflow them on the strip with solder paste?

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
No the CREE that I have are XR-E emitters, not stars.

Do you think I can solder the emitters to the strip MCPCB with solder and a soldering iron? Or is it mandatory to reflow them on the strip with solder paste?

It will be very very difficult with just a soldering iron. You'll need a hot plate or an oven and reflow the emitters on. That's what I would recommend. The center pad of the LED is not accessible from the topside and can only be reflowed.

Wayne