Need Help Choosing a New Work Flashlight

travis200

Newly Enlightened
Background is I work for a utility company at night so I need light mainly for up close work usually 5-20 feet from me. I like a lot of light as it usually dark as I work. I have a Leatherman Monarch 500 from Costco that I like but the beam is not what I want. There seems to be a big dead spot in the center, I want a better overall beam.

Requirements:
needs to use 1-2 AA batteries
needs to have a belt sheath
probably be a Cree bulb
size depends probably 4-6 inches?
like a long run time as will be used alot each night
maybe a high and low but I will probably always have it on high
prefer more spot flood lighting over long distance but ok if does both
No tinting needed prefer just be able to see stuff as is
price range up to $75ish maybe more for the right light

I have been checking out the reviews here but as many of you know.
Too many choices and since it is hard to try out lights in the real world, I need help from the flashlights gods.

Thank you

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
:welcome:

Hi Travis! I'm sure many people will chime in with great ideas, so I'll just share a few of my own.

The Zebralight H501w is a nice option for close work (about 5-10 feet), and is literally all flood. It's incredibly tiny, runs on a single AA (alkaline, lithium, or rechargeable), and can clip to your belt or shirt for hands-free work. I'm definitely a big fan of their lights. That said, it won't do distance lighting; it's a phenomenal light up to about 15-20 feet out (less if there's lots of ambient light), but beyond that it's pretty much useless. Still for those 15 feet, it's glorious.

Other options include the Fenix LD20 with a diffuser (which would let you switch between spot and flood), or 4-seven's recent light: the Quark. (You can get it in AA or 2xAA versions.) Many, many companies make 2xAA cree-based lights: EagleTac, Olight, and Nitecore are just a few common names you'll hear. All are fairly well respected here on CPF. Nitecore's Smart PD light, in particular, is especially popular these days.

I'd definitely encourage you to lean towards a "warm" or "neutral" tint LED if you're at all concerned about color rendition, since they greatly help differentiate tones and colors.

Is there any reason you're wedded to AAs? People often shun CR123s because they think that the batteries are expensive or assume that they're not available as rechargeables; both beliefs are incorrect. Many of the high-end lights use 123s because of their power; primaries cost just about $1.50 each if you buy them in bulk (e.g. from Surefire.com), and they're also available in rechargeable versions.

If you decided to make the switch to 123s, I'd also recommend a Malkoff M60WLF dropin for a Surefire G2. The Malkoffs have a very useful beam pattern (though you might need a high-low switch for it; on high it could easily be too bright!) and would run for about 3-4 hours on high on 2 rechargeable 123s.

Hope this helps!

- FITP

Last edited:

sygyzy

Enlightened
I second the H501w recomomendation. I am glad I got it as, like FlashInThePan says, it's all flood. Even on low, it's perfect. In fact, I leave it on low most of the time.

groo01

Newly Enlightened
Groo here
If working outside in rain etcI would look at streamlights.
my 4aa led is still my most used,has a nice beam,not too brite,
uses AAs and does not mind a swim or two.:wave:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'd also suggest the Zebralight. 8% off coupon at 4sevens is "CPF8".

Also Cree is LED, not bulb, and Cree is only one of the companies that produce a current gen high power LED. :)

:welcome:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a package deal being offered now here for a Fenix TK20 + E01 (for an additonal $1) if you're lookin for a handheld instead of a headlamp.

Both are good lights, i've exceeded this month's budget already (3 lights, LF drop in + other odds and ends) so this will have to be for next month if its still available.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olight T25 or I25, Fenix LD20, there's. lots of great choices.

An iTP C8R or C8T is probably the best value and at $45 would leave you enough left over money to buy 4-8 AA NiMh batteries and a charger.

If you were ready to make the jump to 18650 rechargeables a LumaPower D-Mini EX would offer a whole other class of output and it's a flood monster that would be great for the work you do.

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olight T25 or I25, Fenix LD20, there's. lots of great choices.

An iTP C8R or C8T is probably the best value and at $45 would leave you enough left over money to buy 4-8 AA NiMh batteries and a charger.

If you were ready to make the jump to 18650 rechargeables a LumaPower D-Mini EX would offer a whole other class of output and it's a flood monster that would be great for the work you do.

Hey MattK its nice to see a dealer jumping in the threads to actually suggest and help some people instead of just advertising in the Dealers Corner threads. Thankyou

Another reason to love BJ. That and the OD finish Fenix lights. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're welcome. :)

Matching users needs to flashlights is something I do every day so that it's almost second nature to me now. The variety of great lights on the market today can be pretty overwhelming.

patryk79

Newly Enlightened
hey there... may i suggest the Fenix TK20....

i got one as a gift for my girlfriends uncle; he works in construction and is currently on the SF Bay Bridge project. the color is neutral white, which is great if you work outdoors, especially in the rain and fog. it has two settings, so you can have 45 lumens for up close and about 150 for a bit of distance.

i do not own a fenix myself, but the one i gave as a gift has impressed everyone on his work crew, especially once the bay area fog rolls in.

anyway, thats MHO. :huh:

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another reason to love BJ.

Oh right "Battery Junction". Took me a while to work that out but thats my dirty mind ..

When this new fenix MC10 comes out, it could be the new work light of choice. Clip and an adjustable head. Thats if you can wait until then.

Viper715

Enlightened
I love my ZL H501W, pair it with say a Nitecore D20 or a Fenix TK20 and you got your bases covered.

travis200

Newly Enlightened
Thank you to the many suggestions. I was partial to AA as I get them free from work but after reading there are better batteries. I settled on the Olight M20 Warrior with a diffuser. Not sure if I will need the diffuser but might be handy. Also picked up the Lumapower mini D Ex as suggested by MattK. Added in some 18650 batteries and a charger so I should be ready to turn night into day when I work.

It is hard trying to find a small holster light that offers good run time and alot of light in 1 package. I am hoping the M20 will do it.

Thank you to Battery Junction for helping me spend my money.

Next upgrade will be my Petzl headlamp but gotta save up for that.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the light side Travis!

Surefire Saint Minimus's are coming in this week - that could be a good Petzl upgrade. :)

Wattnot

Enlightened
Based on your needs, I highly recommend a headlamp (like the Zebra already recommended) and a Fenix TK20 (click for link). The TK20 works GREAT on nimhs (nickle metal hydride rechargeables) and the batteries and chargers are cheap. The TK20 also has a warmer, almost incandescent like beam. At closer distances, any extremely powerful lights will actually become a hinderence since the light will reflect back in your face and make it harder to see what you're trying to look at!

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
zebra is just pure flood though , he might need a reflector light for some throw at 20 feet to see something in finer detail well lit and a light with a nice broad hotspot ...i say Fenix LD20

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
mini mag led, should do it, most of my building maintanance crew uses them, not the best light, but it gets the job done.

travis200

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to the light side Travis!

Surefire Saint Minimus's are coming in this week - that could be a good Petzl upgrade. :)

Thank you MattK,
I think my Petzl Myo XP looks like a better overall light for my needs than the Surefire headlamp. Good output and good run time as I always have my Petzl on high with the diffuser on.