Olight
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cool White vs Neutral white

Default Cool White vs Neutral white

Hey guys, I think I'm still pretty new to these things. Can someone help me? What are the pros and cons of a cool tint and a warm tint?

I just don't get it. Some people to just seems just crazy over warm tints even though they know it won't be as efficient in terms of output/runtime compared to LEDs with cool tint.

Whats the deal here?

Thank you in advance
    Maglite 4D Incad., Solitaire, 3D LED Jetbeam Jet-I MKII R, Jet-III PRO Ti, Jet-Ti M, TC-R3 ,TC-10 Fenix LD01 SS Surefire C2 4Sevens Quark AA Ti, Quark Mini AA, Preon 0

Default Re: Cool White vs Neutral white

Quote Originally Posted by berry580 View Post
    Hey guys, I think I'm still pretty new to these things. Can someone help me? What are the pros and cons of a cool tint and a warm tint?

I just don't get it. Some people to just seems just crazy over warm tints even though they know it won't be as efficient in terms of output/runtime compared to LEDs with cool tint.

Whats the deal here?

Thank you in advance
    i just got the new Romisen RC N3 warm white, take a look at the beamshots in comparision with the Romisen RC N3 II Q5
    Why are all the contestants in Miss Universe only from Earth?

Its a matter of preference... what color tint do you prefer to look at? I have always preferred Incan and warmer tints, but I can get by with just about anything, so long as its not blue/purple.
    CLICK HERE for my flashlight reviews.
    PAUL KIM... AN INDUSTRY GENIUS

and just FYI . . . .

Runtimes are usually identical, regardless of which "tint-bin" you choose.

Dont' put all yer' emphasis on "ultimate number of Lumens".

Often, a "nicer tint" can make for a MUCH more pleasant viewing experience.

_

In what way would it improve your viewing experience?
    I think I heard that certain colors can be hard on your eyes etc. But if its too harsh, then you can always lower the output... can't you? I tend to use lights with continuous variable modes.

Is there something I haven't accounted for? :S

Oh, and so far all the lights that i've had has a cool white tint.
    Maglite 4D Incad., Solitaire, 3D LED Jetbeam Jet-I MKII R, Jet-III PRO Ti, Jet-Ti M, TC-R3 ,TC-10 Fenix LD01 SS Surefire C2 4Sevens Quark AA Ti, Quark Mini AA, Preon 0

its just like having a stock incan mag but instead its led and efficient but color is same , yellow

Cool white LEDs makes outdoor colours and skin tones dull and grey. How bright a light is is dependent on how much light is reflected. Outdoors a warm white will appear to be brighter. The bin difference isn't visible anyway. Get that RC-N3 warm. You'll see what I mean once you get it.

Incan and warm tint is different. The difference being CRI. How evenly distributed across the spectrem. The warm white LEDs aren't as good as incan or sunlight in this regard. It's as bad as cool LED's in Cree's case but the light falls into a more useful range. For example warm CFLs might be just as warm as incan but look at reds and browns under it and it looks weird.
    Last edited by R@ndom; 09-12-2009 at 11:32 PM.

What are the pros and cons of a cool tint and a warm tint?
    In what way would it improve your viewing experience?
    Caveat: When most people talk about their warm tints, they actually mean neutral according to the manufacturer (around 4000-4500K CCT). We just call them warm by habit because they're warmer than the cool tints. There are even warmer tints as well, though IMO those go too far in the other direction.

Your typical white LED is actually a blue LED covered in yellow-green phosphor. It has gaps in the colour spectrum it emits and an uneven distribution overall. This causes colours to appear unnatural under the light and makes it more difficult to distinguish boundaries and colours than it would be under sunlight.

For cool white there's a gigantic spike at blue, a gap at cyan, and then a spike at yellow-green with a rapid falloff to a gap towards red. Neutral white slops on more phosphor to convert more of the blue, which reduces efficiency but gives better red coverage.

Reds and browns are very common in nature so the colour distribution of warmer tints can be more useful than getting fractionally more lumens from using a cool tint. Especially outdoors.
    Increasing red light and reducing blue also has the added benefit of cutting through fog and smoke better, since blue tends to scatter easily.

There's a thread dedicated to analyzing the spectral distribution of all kinds of things here:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=220118

eg: Cool white LED

Flashaholic*

If you want see the things you shine the light to, get the cool white, white and bright, like HID.
    If you want to look at the color of the trees and sidewalk and skin tones, get the neutral white, yellow and dim, like M@glight.

Neutral white is awesome! You won't notice the brightness difference, but you WILL notice the tint.

Quote Originally Posted by glockboy View Post
    If you want see the things you shine the light to, get the cool white, white and bright, like HID.
    If you want to look at the color of the trees and sidewalk and skin tones, get the neutral white, yellow and dim, like M@glight.
    A lot of HID lights are 4300K now. Neutral white doesn't have to be dim either. Just build a triple MC-E Mag in neutral white.
    Awesome! I just got the Luxoulree Z4 bin XD-Q! Wait... are you saying they released the Z5 bin the day after I bought it?

In my opinion cool white looks brighter as neutral white, this is for most people so, because of the human eye.
    Much people told me that they see better colour difference with neutral white, i cant see it. So take that what you like.

Cool White
    ad in: alot of light
    ad out: Limited useability due to limited color rendition ability

Neutral White
    ad in: Very useable, sufficient output for most tasks
    ad out: somewhat insufficient as accent lighting due to adequate [but not superb] color rendition

Warm white
    ad in: Very high CRI compared to cool white, wonderful light out in the woods or areas with alot of green vegetation.
    ad out: Not the brightest LEDs [in XRE form] compared to NW or CW

To give you a good idea of the different variations from an observational standpoint, consider these pictures and the amount of yellow phosphor in each

Neutral White

Warm White

W100 "Q4" cool white

Generally, cool white is used in flashlights more often than not...so there's not really much preference in selecting tints. I personally use Neutral White and Warm whites in combinations for household fixed lighting.

I have a L4 modded with an [M bin?] 5A tinted MC-E and outdoors it is amazing. It rivals the tint of an incandescent and really breaks the long rigid perspective about the cold CCT nature of LEDs. Its pretty hard to describe the feeling, as if warm white LEDs aren't LEDs and fit in their own category. Since the beginning when McGizmo spoon fed us with details on the Nichia 083 parties of the forum has been raging on CRI for many months now...specifically in the effects of observing the world around us through improved color rendition.

Consider these series of shots
    [1: CW on top, WW on bottom], Lights used: two MCE modified L4s on 17670s

[2: Surefire A2 on top, WW on bottom], Lights used: Surefire A2-WH, MCE modified L4

[3: CW on top, A2 on bottom]

the wall is very light green [there are no white walls in this house, or at least vacant white walls] and the cameras daylight balance may have distorted the tints. But you should be able to tell that the WW CREE is at least comparable with the A2's xenon with the absence of a central hotspot. In the picture where the WW is taken with the A2 the A2s beam came out very realistic due to the fact that the camera is not being flooded by the CW's intensity. What the WC fail in color rendition is compensated by increase in intensity relative to WWs, so for many it doesn't seem that big of a change.

This example kind of reinforces the sentence in italics. The CW just gave out so much light that using a fully automatic camera its impossible to gauge rendition readings without the camera stepping back to protect its CCD chip. From left to right [Control][CW][WW][A2]

Then try saabluster's shots mentioned in his DEFT thread
    Quote Originally Posted by saabluster View Post
    R2 WH----------------- Q2 5A----------------- MCE 6C
    Note the color rendition differences as you proceed to warmer LEDs?

I hope someone with a manual camera can take shots outdoors, because thats where it really matters
    Last edited by Illum; 09-14-2009 at 06:28 PM.

You all seem to be forgetting about SSC and Nichia neutral whites when it comes to CRI. Both rate mid-90's for CRI, and render colors head and shoulders above the Cree Neutral whites. (especially the Nichias)

In my experience with neutral white LED's, the shift of the color into a typically more useful range is fairly effective compensation for the loss in output. This is especially noticeable outdoors. In many cases, a Neutral LED binned 1-2 bins (dependant on brand) lower than it's cool counterpart will appear to be comparatively bright to the human eye when the LED's are driven at the same current.

I have links to several discussion threads on the topic in my mod thread. (Linked in my sig) They're a pretty good read.
    Due to my current schedule being pretty darn hectic, I will not be accepting new modding projects until things settle down.

Whats the deal here?

Thank you in advance
    First off, while lumens are important, they arent everything.
    Really, the if you compare a Q5 cool tint, to a Q3 neutral tint, you really wont see that much brightness difference. White wall hunting, the cool tint will likely look better, and slightly brigher (only very slightly), the cool tint will most likely look "whiter".

Take both lights outside, and check out dirt, rocks, trees, flowers, and wildlife. The warm tint will most likely look MUCH better, give better depth perception, and better contrast. The pictures available in various posts on the subject give some idea of this, but seeing it for real the difference is HUGE.

Ive compared 2 pretty much identical lights, eagletac P10A2's, one cool, one warm, in an outdoor test.
    The cool tended to make everything a bit gray, harder to distinguish details. Also, colors tended to be way off. Red flowers were purple, yellow flowers were very pale. There was very little difference between the colors of rock, dirt, twigs, and dead leaves. Everything was a bit washed out looking.
    The warm tint was much better at color. Red flowers were red, yellow flowers were yellow. Much better contrast between rocks, twigs, dirt, and dead leaves.

The most notable difference between cool and warm came when spotting a rabbit.
    With the cool, the rabbit was gray, and hard to make out against the background. I could barely see it.
    With the warm, the rabbit was actually more brown, and stood out well against the background, and was easy to see.

I guess it comes down to what you do with the light, and how your eyes are.
    White wall hunting, Cool wins
    Indoors, both are ok, but for me the warm is slightly better
    In nature: warm wins, bigtime for me anyway

overall, the brightness difference between a warm and a cool isnt that much, usually 15% or so. Most people cant see the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by fixitman View Post
    overall, the brightness difference between a warm and a cool isnt that much, usually 15% or so. Most people cant see the difference.
    I guess I'm just more sensitive

Quote Originally Posted by Illum View Post
    Cool White
    ad in: alot of light
    ad out: Limited useability due to limited color rendition ability

Neutral White
    ad in: Very useable, sufficient output for most tasks
    ad out: somewhat insufficient as accent lighting due to adequate [but not superb] color rendition

Warm white
    ad in: Very high CRI compared to cool white, wonderful light out in the woods or areas with alot of green vegetation.
    ad out: Not the brightest LEDs [in XRE form] compared to NW or CW

To give you a good idea of the different variations from an observational standpoint, consider these pictures and the amount of yellow phosphor in each

Neutral White

Warm White

W100 "Q4" cool white

Generally, cool white is used in flashlights more often than not...so there's not really much preference in selecting tints. I personally use Neutral White and Warm whites in combinations for household fixed lighting.

I have a L4 modded with an [M bin?] 5A tinted MC-E and outdoors it is amazing. It rivals the tint of an incandescent and really breaks the long rigid perspective about the cold CCT nature of LEDs. Its pretty hard to describe the feeling, as if warm white LEDs aren't LEDs and fit in their own category. Since the beginning when McGizmo spoon fed us with details on the Nichia 083 parties of the forum has been raging on CRI for many months now...specifically in the effects of observing the world around us through improved color rendition.

Consider these series of shots
    [1: CW on top, WW on bottom], Lights used: two MCE modified L4s on 17670s

[2: Surefire A2 on top, WW on bottom], Lights used: Surefire A2-WH, MCE modified L4

[3: CW on top, A2 on bottom]

the wall is very light green [there are no white walls in this house, or at least vacant white walls] and the cameras daylight balance may have distorted the tints. But you should be able to tell that the WW CREE is at least comparable with the A2's xenon with the absence of a central hotspot. In the picture where the WW is taken with the A2 the A2s beam came out very realistic due to the fact that the camera is not being flooded by the CW's intensity. What the WC fail in color rendition is compensated by increase in intensity relative to WWs, so for many it doesn't seem that big of a change.

This example kind of reinforces the sentence in italics. The CW just gave out so much light that using a fully automatic camera its impossible to gauge rendition readings without the camera stepping back to protect its CCD chip. From left to right [Control][CW][WW][A2]

I hope someone with a manual camera can take shots outdoors, because thats where it really matters
    Tint is not the same thing as CRI, so saying that warm white = high CRI is totally incorrect. The LED with the highest CRI on the market only reaches 83 on the color rendering index, incandescent are a full 100 CRI. A "warm" LED is just another low CRI emitter with a lower color temperature. Kelvins degrees is not the same as CRI.
    Last edited by Outdoors Fanatic; 09-13-2009 at 11:24 AM.

Flashaholic*

We can now see how the neutral white more and more becomes popular, and soon this tint likely will be available for every light. I even suspect it may be the main tint and be more popular than cool tints. Some people dislike it because they mean it's much dimmer than the cool. I don't agree, because the around 20% less output is a moderate difference. Though the difference under some circumstances, like when shining at white and blue objects appears bigger than so, the usefulness of the warmer tint is to prefer in the most cases I think.
    Also I understand many people experience a warmer tint to be much more relaxing for the eyes in the long run.
    Well, the time will show if I am foreseeing right...

Regards, Patric

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoors Fanatic View Post
    ...The LED with the highest CRI on the market only reaches 83 on the color rendering index, incandescent are a full 100 CRI...
    Nichia High-CRI LED's are rated at 92CRI, and are tested by McGizmo at closer to 96CRI.

SSC P4 High-CRI emitters are rated and tested at 93CRI.

Both are much better than the 83CRI you're talking about. IIRC the Cree Neutral LED's are 83CRI
    Due to my current schedule being pretty darn hectic, I will not be accepting new modding projects until things settle down.

Flashaholic*

My take is that for indoor/urban use - the cool (6000K+) seems (and might be 10-15%) brighter, but for rural/outdoor use you "see" more with neutral (4300K+).

My whole household is lit using 5500K+ CFL and I love it, but not for outdoors use. My old eyes get "annoyed"/irritated after a while of looking at browns and greens with a cool LED say in a forest as everything looks blue-grey...

There is a simliar thread here somewhere here where someone talked about color sensitivity with age as well.
    ie. as our eyes age - certain colors will look better, or worse depending on the tint - so that needs to be factored in as well. What looks good for my 50YO eyes won't necessarily look good for 20YO eyes, and vice versa.

take a look at my outdoor vs indoor pics of cool/6000K vs neutral/4300K light comparison in my sig below...
    (specially focus on the color targets, and which are easier to "identify" quickly)

Last edited by lebox97; 09-13-2009 at 03:37 PM. Reason: tiepo, added kelvin rating
    the reality of life... 50% +/- of it will be in darkness(unless you have a light!) dba
    - compare lights

Rolleye11 Re: Cool White vs Neutral white

Here's a comparison of three tints in an equal host.

All were (and maybe still are) the best flux bin within the given tint bin that I could get my hands on.

All are Cree XP-E emitters in a Fenix E1 (which originally used a Nichia surface mount power led) with a freshly charged NiMH AAA.

Left is a cool white, flux bin R2, tint bin WG

Bottom Right is a neutral white, flux bin Q2, tint bin 5A

Top Right is a warm white, flux bin P3, tint bin 7A

Enjoy!

Now for people (not in this thread) calling cool white WD and WH LED's "neutral" PLEASE STOP.

Flashaholic*

Take both lights outside, and check out dirt, rocks, trees, flowers, and wildlife. The warm tint will most likely look MUCH better, give better depth perception, and better contrast. The pictures available in various posts on the subject give some idea of this, but seeing it for real the difference is HUGE.

Ive compared 2 pretty much identical lights, eagletac P10A2's, one cool, one warm, in an outdoor test.
    The cool tended to make everything a bit gray, harder to distinguish details. Also, colors tended to be way off. Red flowers were purple, yellow flowers were very pale. There was very little difference between the colors of rock, dirt, twigs, and dead leaves. Everything was a bit washed out looking.
    The warm tint was much better at color. Red flowers were red, yellow flowers were yellow. Much better contrast between rocks, twigs, dirt, and dead leaves.
    Sorry, but that's not my experience at all.

In order to inject some balance, I use primarily cool WC tinted lights (Q5 Nitecores) outside, and find that colours are rendered just fine thank you.

I have completely normal colour vision and simply do not see this 'washed out' effect.

For me, the cool tints are a crisp, pure white (whereas the warm ones look yellow) and they show outdoor objects such as vegetation, leaves, rocks, flowers and so on perfectly well: good contrast and accurate colour - as they appear in daylight. As a test of artificially coloured objects, I've just shone two different cool tinted lights at our two cars (one red, one metallic blue) and - guess what? - yup, they too, appear exactly the same colour as they do in daylight.

The so-called 'warmer' tints do appeal to some people, but I suspect that what they actually do is to exaggerate the warmer tones like reds and yellows. Very aesthetic, maybe, but I'd rather have my colours accurately rendered.

Now I know how individual and subjective colour perception can be, so if that's not your experience, fine. But I'd rather have a crisp clear pure white light than the yellow or orange ones in the picture above.
    Last edited by Moonshadow; 09-13-2009 at 02:30 PM.

Flashaholic

I think I mentioned somewhere - again a lot of it comes from what lights you grew up with. For me, growing up with fluorescent lighting, I am used to seeing all objects in that tint, and so anything but cool white looks weird - and I can't figure out what colors it is because my color reference point is with cool white.

For someone who grew up with incans, on the other hand, warm would be what they're used to.

Of course, a cool white high CRI would be what I want =)

So - imo it mainly comes down to preference and what you grew up with. I would recommend warms to those who are used to incans, and cools to those who are used to fluorescent... or to try both anyway.
    EDCs: Quark AA Tactical w/ XM-L, Foursevens Mini ML-X
    Backpack: Quark 123˛ Turbo X

I really like cool white LEDs, but I am goint to test the neutral white waters.

I have some parts on order to build a couple of neutral white (Cree XR-E Q3-5C) P60 drop-ins for some of my lights and try out neutral white LEDs for myself.
    While the various beamshots give you an idea, the only way to know is to try it yourself.

Now I just need to wait a week or so for all the goodies to arrive and then I can start building...

One great way to view the subject attractiveness of a flashlight's LED is to illuminate a well printed photograph of people (portrait)... you can use magazine ads for this purpose. You will see very quicky how scenes are rendered this way.

And just for some wide ranging comparisons of tint... here's a chart I made using some of my own lights...

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshadow View Post
    In order to inject some balance, I use primarily cool WC tinted lights (Q5 Nitecores) outside, and find that colours are rendered just fine thank you.

I have completely normal colour vision and simply do not see this 'washed out' effect.

For me, the cool tints are a crisp, pure white (whereas the warm ones look yellow) and they show outdoor objects such as vegetation, leaves, rocks, flowers and so on perfectly well: good contrast and accurate colour - as they appear in daylight. As a test of artificially coloured objects, I've just shone two different cool tinted lights at our two cars (one red, one metallic blue) and - guess what? - yup, they too, appear exactly the same colour as they do in daylight.

The so-called 'warmer' tints do appeal to some people, but I suspect that what they actually do is to exaggerate the warmer tones like reds and yellows. Very aesthetic, maybe, but I'd rather have my colours accurately rendered.

Now I know how individual and subjective colour perception can be, so if that's not your experience, fine. But I'd rather have a crisp clear pure white light than the yellow or orange ones in the picture above.
    Pretty much my experience as well. I find that deep reds are slightly subdued under today's cool white LEDs relative to how they appear under sunlight, but other than that to me they render colors pretty well. But in a scene heavy with warm colors, you might want a light source which exaggerates those colors for greater constrast. Sure, the colors may not be accurate as defined as appearing the way they do under sunlight, but you'll be able to see better nevertheless.

Also, it bears mentioning that "cool white" and "high CRI" are NOT physically mutually exclusive. A casual reader of this thread might get the impression otherwise. There don't happen to be any cool white, high-CRI LEDs being made now that I'm aware of, but that is likely due to the need to formulate a suitable phosphor, not because it can't physically be done. So yes, based on the LEDs currently made, you need warm or neutral white if you want high-CRI, but that won't be the case forever.

Quote Originally Posted by jtr1962 View Post
    Also, it bears mentioning that "cool white" and "high CRI" are NOT physically mutually exclusive. A casual reader of this thread might get the impression otherwise. There don't happen to be any cool white, high-CRI LEDs being made now that I'm aware of, but that is likely due to the need to formulate a suitable phosphor, not because it can't physically be done. So yes, based on the LEDs currently made, you need warm or neutral white if you want high-CRI, but that won't be the case forever.
    This is a point I wish more people would remember before posting on the subject.

Time for Eva Green or Megan Fox to clear this up

Quote Originally Posted by R@ndom View Post
    Great post!!

Quote Originally Posted by R@ndom View Post
    I thought you were referring to the tree...then I scrolled down

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoors Fanatic View Post
    Tint is not the same thing as CRI, so saying that warm white = high CRI is totally incorrect. The LED with the highest CRI on the market only reaches 83 on the color rendering index, incandescent are a full 100 CRI. A "warm" LED is just another low CRI emitter with a lower color temperature. Kelvins degrees is not the same as CRI.
    very well, then how your you explain the dramatic increase in color rendition due to warmer tints?