Long term lantern

Wireman

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a lantern that will stay lit for at least 24 hours on one charge. It doesn't need to be super bright, just illuminate a single room enough to get by.

I need it to have some type of smart charger so it could recharge the battery rapidly after use, but I want to also be able to leave it plugged in 24/7 and have the charger keep the batteries topped off and maintained.

Any recommendations?

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
you dont need anything spectacular. Just buy any PR2 base (regular mag bulb type) lantern (coleman, energizer, etc) and replace the bulb with a NiteIze Mag 2-6cell bulb.

even on two AA batteries, it should last more than 12 hours. ON 2 D batteries, the reviewer below stopped testing after 24 hours because the output had only dropped to 92%

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/niteize_magbulb.htm

and i see you have a preference for rechargable batteries. Well, with this you probably wont need them, but you can use Nimh D sized batteries, or even just eneloops in thier D adaptors

Crenshaw

Last edited:

Wireman

Newly Enlightened
This is for someone else so I'd rather not have anything modded. I'd prefer to just have a store-bought Lantern.

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Erm, you need 24/7 operation, AND you have continual access to a power point?

Just turn the room light on. Sorted!

Last edited:

Wireman

Newly Enlightened
Erm, you need 24/7 operation, AND you have continual access to a power point?

Just turn the room light on. Sorted!
Erm?

No, I don't need 24/7 operation. Please read the original post, thanks.

Wireman

Newly Enlightened

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are several lanterns that run a single cree off 3-4 C or D batteries. On low setting, you should get exactly what you want. There's a Rayovac at Batteryjunction for around 30, IIRC.

Wireman

Newly Enlightened
There are several lanterns that run a single cree off 3-4 C or D batteries. On low setting, you should get exactly what you want. There's a Rayovac at Batteryjunction for around 30, IIRC.

Thanks for the info, however, the only Rayovac I found in that price range doesn't have any type of charger built in.

perterra

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the link!

4 AA batteries (or equivalent cell) seems mighty small, tho. I was hoping for something with a more substantial rechargeable battery.

Its bright enough to read by but you wont be blinding anyone with it. Only one I know of. Good luck in your hunt.

P

clyffepypard

Newly Enlightened
I've not seen any decent LED based lanterns that are re-chargeable, apart from the apollo already mentioned, but that is more aimed at the back-packer market.
There are a variety of fluorescent tube based lanterns that might meet your requirements, though you will struggle to find one that runs for 24Hrs or has anything like fast charging. They typically have a 5W tube, and can run for anything from just a few hours to maybe 10hrs depending on the make.
A quick search on eBay will show you a spread of lanterns to look at.

Last edited:

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to have a Coleman larntern that you plugged in 24/7 and have the charger keep the batteries topped off and maintained.
The first year is ok but after that the battery life is shorter and shorter and die, I have to buy new battery every year, it's cost too much.
I just got this one, it's just use D batteries.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018S4XIS/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Last edited:

Wireman

Newly Enlightened
Nope.

I remember years ago seeing lanterns with large square 12V rechargeable batteries that would last for a while. With the technology where it is today, I can't believe that I can't find a rechargeable lantern that won't power an LED (or anything else) for a day. My Maglite will run for 48 hours. My EDC Surefire E2L will run for 100 hours...