Looking for wristwatch with these characteristics

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I spent some time over at watchtalkforums and while there was certainly a wealth of information, no one was keen on helping a 'newb' out. So here I am asking my CPF brethren instead :wave:.

I'm looking for a wristwatch with these qualities:
- atomic synchronization
- automatic movement (essentially anything that doesn't require me to wind or replace the battery)
- tritium capsules in bezel similar to Luminox
- not gaudy in appearance (I've got small wrists)
- analog rather than digital, but hybrid would be ok too

That's about it, I don't really have a budget restraint other than I'd like to stay under $1k definitely (preferable to be < $500 ideally). Regarding the automatic movement, I'm not exactly sure if that's even the right terminology. I'm just looking for a maintenance-free watch that recharges itself either via solar, kinetic or whatever methods. One I'll never have to set, and one that has self-illumination on the face. The Luminox watches are nice but the Quartz movement requires a user-replaceable battery right? I used to have a Citizen EcoDrive that had atomic synching and a solar cell behind the face, but it didn't have tritium anywhere. Something with a chronograph would also be nice but not a deal-breaker if absent. As for the band, I'm typically not a metal fan so if it comes with that I'll likely replace with a Maratac Zulu instead.

woomart

Newly Enlightened
Wow that's a tall order.
I don't know if the make an atomic snyc. wristwatch that can adjust analog hands. Try the Traser 3 watches, they make a automatic movement watch with tritium hands and dial markers. Even in tritium blue which is apparently hard to find. Check them out. Your right though about Citizen watches I have three of the Eco-Drives and they require little to no maintenance but their dial markers are weak. My favorite watch is still my Citizen Titanium Eco-Drive, very light material, like wearing nothing on your wrist. If you like the darker grey finish Ti is they way to go.

http://www.traserusa.com/en/watches/detailkat5watch26.html

dooz

Newly Enlightened
You might want to take a look at Praetorian watches, look for model ''Signifer'', lots of trit colors / bands options. Other than that, Luminox & Traser H3's would be the way to go i guess. Luminox does make a model with an automatic mvnt, but is rather classy, and no chronograph.

Automatic movement + H3 = very limited choice :sigh:

Let us know if you find something interresting, id be interrested in such a watch :naughty:

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the input fellas. The Citizen Eco-Drive I used to own had a canvas band, solar recharging through the face, and did atomic syncing with analog hands. I can't remember the model # otherwise I'd reference it. But anyway, it fit the bill of what I'm looking for except it didn't have trits. The more I think about it, the more a compromise is in order. I've decided that I'm gonna give up the atomic syncing in favor of obtaining the trits. Think I'm gonna go with a Marathon GSAR if I can find one for <$500. I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks again for the input. :)

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out Ball Watches they have some with 75 trit vials on one watch. The only thing they don't offer is Atomic sync, but AFAIK there is no way to have atomic sync with a manual or automatic mechanical movement though several makers offer quartz analog with atomic sync.

Rexlion

Enlightened
Sounds like my watch has everything you want except the tritium. I bought it on ebay, a LaCrosse "E. Howard & Co." atomic watch. I like the roman numerals on the watch face and the excellent quality leather band. There are a couple of these listed on ebay now (but with arabic numerals) for under $90; see for example item 350229979727 . Also on amazon and elsewhere, both gold and stainless.

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow those are super nice timepieces but far outside any type of perceived budget I though I had. Thanks for the link though. :huh:

I'm giving up on the atomic syncing altogether. Now I'm just looking for models less than $500 that are both automatic and have tritium on the face. My mind is stuck on a Marathon GSAR but I can't seem to find any within my price range.

Gatsby

Enlightened
As far as I know there are no current models that combine both atomic synchronization with kinetic/solar power AND tritium hands.

Currently among analog watches the choices for solar/atomic is pretty much limited to Citizen and Casio (including their upscale Oceanus watches). I have a Citizen Skyhawk AT and it is nearly perfect - the atomic sync works flawlessly, the eco drive movement is time tested and proven, it has an analog face with digital and discrete subdials with two alarms, stopwatch, countdown timer, world time zones but looking at it the face does not scream digital. They also have the Altessa which is similar but without the pilot digital features. I also have a Casio GW2000 which is all analog (the gw2500 is a Breitling Aerospace inspired ana digi) and is solar/atomic, has a chronograph, countdown, alarm, etc... and looks pretty sharp - it has the same 5 motor movement some of the Oceanus models use. There is also the Edifice casio models in addition to the Oceanus.

I have a 6.5" wrist and both fit very well, even the large Skyhawk due to shorter lugs sits well on my wrist although it is as large as I'd care to wear and I am NOT a giant size watch guy (don't fully understand that trend in all honesty and I did try a 44mm Glycine Incursore and it was just too doggone big).

The Citizen does have substantially better lume than the Casio, although the Casio lume has improved (it was traditionally a huge liability) and the Skyhawk stays readable for me at least through the entire night. However, the GW2500 ana/digi has an LED backlight which, IIRC, can be programmed to turn on when you move your wrist to view it so it can be seen without tying up your other hand. Might be worth considering...

I've owned a bunch of automatic and manual wind watches over the years (my emotional center remains on my Swiss Army auto chrono with the time tested Valjoux 7750 movement and I still have a vintage Hamilton and a Seiko auto SKX175 dive watch) including vintage and new, and I have to admit that the Citizen and Casio have really won me over. The ability to wake up every day on the way out the door and strap one of them on knowing that they will both be working and that they will both be completely accurate (something that obviously is not the case with mechanical watches) is rather compelling. I didn't think I would take to the technology like I have - as I am a pretty traditional guy in everything other than flashlights - I use fountain pens and have been an absolute steadfast devotee of mechanical watches since my childhood really other than digital watches for the gym and yard work.

I've actually added another Casio digital atomic/solar watch, a GW9000 mudman as my weekend knockabout watch and probably 95% of the time I have one of those three watches on my wrist. They are that good and that addicting.

I understand the desire for a tritium watch now that I have a trit bezel for my Novatac - it is cool and I've almost pulled the trigger on a luminox once or twice - but I'd seriously consider a Citizen or Casio atomic/solar with good lume or a backlight. Day in and day out I think you'd find those two features will be more useful than the trit tubes.

mon90ey

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guy,

While you're looking at that GSAR, you might want to check out this one on the same page:

The Marathon Navigator w/Date.
Specs:
Type 6. genuine GI quartz tritium vial watch. Swiss-made heavy-duty full quartz movement. Water resistant to 196 feet, Altitude performance to 35,000 feet. Case is nylon/fiberglass composite-very durable, nearly indestructible. Second time zone rotating bezel. Stainless steel back has engraved full military markings. (NSN 6645-01-364-4042D).

I've been wearing one daily for over 5 years. I cracked the crystal and the elapsed time bezel the other day, and am sending it off to International WatchWorks, Inc. in N.C. to have it repaired for less than $80. I'm also buying a new one to rotate out with the old one. In 5 years, I've only put one battery in it, and I only have to set it once or twice a year. Usually that's not a set but just a time hack. Seriously, it keeps better time than my Casio, and boy is it tough!

Just my two cents worth. Take care.

Carl :thumbsup:

Gary123

Enlightened
I just bought and returned the titanium Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon ($3k). Their NRC exemption for higher emission trits makes their lights tremendously bright. I returned it because the small diameter (40mm) coupled with the substantial thickness (18.5mm) made for unattractive dimensions and the straight cut around the body really accentuated its thickness. But the workmanship, Ti, legibility (my poor old eyes) ..... for $3K is a bargain. You would spend $10 for a similarly configured Breitling.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Everyone.

the Casio Oceanus looks nice! Nice feature that the LED's turn on whenever wrist movement is in a certain position is really nice! I am going to have to search this watch out to see it in person.

If the Citizen 3rd Generation Skyhawk Eco-Drive just had better nighttime (like Tritium or superluminova) it would be the perfect watch!

My current (non atomic) Citizen Skyhawk gained only 10 seconds in 6 months.

Well, yall gave me a lot to look at!
Thanks!