best AAA nimh batteries?

kobebeef24

Newly Enlightened
I am going to buy either an e01, ld01, or ITP EOS flashlight, which all take AAA batteries. I'm wondering what are the best AAA nimh batteries in terms of discharge rate, capacity, durability, and overall performance. Though the eneloop AAs are the top of the line batteries, I heard the eneloop AAAs are horrible. Can anyone steer me the right way for which AAA nimhs I should buy?

Bones

Enlightened
I would hardly call the Eneloop AAA cell horrible, but they also don't seem to be as robust as their AA sized sibling.

It's been speculated that this is simply a consequence of their significantly smaller size and the fact that some chargers aren't optimized to charge AAA cells. However, since this applies to AAA cells generally, I believe the Eneloop still ends up being the best AAA sized cell as well.

For what it's worth, a set of four I put into service in late 2006 are still going very strong.

MarioJP

Enlightened
For 200mah more of the sacrifice of LSD would be total of 1000mah for AAA. That all depends what your application needs.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would hardly call the Eneloop AAA cell horrible, but they also don't seem to be as robust as their AA sized sibling.

It's been speculated that this is simply a consequence of their significantly smaller size and the fact that some chargers aren't optimized to charge AAA cells. However, since this applies to AAA cells generally, I believe the Eneloop still ends up being the best AAA sized cell as well.

For what it's worth, a set of four I put into service in late 2006 are still going very strong.

same here, i have some cells that were higher capacity, but they all suck after time and cycles, the mere 800ma enloops are now at a (less balanced) capacity that is higher than the 850s 900s and Psudo1000s
i am not thrilled with how well ANY of them maintain a balance of similar capacity, and longevity.

so which cell is better? the one listed at 1000ma that now eaks out 675ma or the one that is 800ma and eaks out 675ma ? :thinking:

notes: of each of them , some are more or less capacity, all wakey different, but when used in series, its all about "The Weakest Link" so even though i have 1000s that will still show 825ma , thier teammates will be as bad as 570ma , so the Team, is actually 570ma, with the poor weak link getting pulverised on to low of discharges again.

Last edited:

InHisName

Enlightened
I've wanted AAA eneloops but most pricing was identical to the AA prices. I just could not stomach that. I found a vendor on eBay that supplied LSD NexCells called EnergyON AAA s for $13/8. They tested out to be 776MAH and still do many uses & 3 months later.

Unfortunately, he is only selling in batches of 20 now. $33 ship included.
I think its $38 for AAs

If you're lucky in finding Duracell white top made in japan s at Target by 9/21 you can get 4/$6.45. I've been to 5 and they only have black top ones or are out of stock completely.

clintb

Enlightened
I've wanted AAA eneloops but most pricing was identical to the AA prices. I just could not stomach that. I found a vendor on eBay that supplied LSD NexCells called EnergyON AAA s for $13/8. They tested out to be 776MAH and still do many uses & 3 months later.

Unfortunately, he is only selling in batches of 20 now. $33 ship included.
I think its $38 for AAs

If you're lucky in finding Duracell white top made in japan s at Target by 9/21 you can get 4/$6.45. I've been to 5 and they only have black top ones or are out of stock completely.
Please to be sharing the eBay seller's name. :)

vali

Enlightened
If you dont mind waiting you can get some GS Yuasa Enitimes from DX. $8.34 for 4 of them.

They are 750 (tested myself) and LSD. I am currently testing the self discharge and they hold the charge pretty well.

drmaxx

Enlightened
I am going to buy either an e01, ld01, or ITP EOS flashlight, which all take AAA batteries.
I heard the eneloop AAAs are horrible.

The performance of AAA is in general horrible (not just eneloop). They are half the weight of a AA, but only deliver 1/3 of the energy. Many AAA flashlights operate with 3 AAA which are heavier then a single AA but without having substantially more juice in them.

Eneloops in general are not the highest capacity NiMH on the market. Typically the top performers have 25 - 30% more capacity. However, they usually have the disadvantage that they age faster and loose their edge rapidly with use and abuse.

Bottom line: The term >best< depends on your preferences. If peak performance is the most important point, then eneloops are not the best choice. If reliable long term performance is your priority then eneloops are an excellent compromise.
It seems that many on cpf prefer the second option.

InHisName

Enlightened
Yea! I just checked my Target and after 8 days or out of stock, they had some. 6 packs, all white tops. I bought four. I left two for others going to Warrington,PA for them.

Started the first 4 on discharge to see how much % full they were. Then do a capacity check to see what I get.

I looked for a "mobile charger" by duracell but did not see any. No matter, I still have a good c9000. also an older maha240 when 4 isn't enough.

btw, the AAAs are listed as 'Procter & Gamble' brand not Duracell in their search.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I might have to back and see if I can get some more. At those prices they would make great gift along with an overnight charger and a decent flashlight for people who use flashlights.

My aaa Eneloops are fantastic. My Maratac aaa light takes a long time to run of out juice. I put a set of 4 right of the box in a heavily used remote control. They lasted a good 3 months before needing a recharge.

Last edited:

InHisName

Enlightened
Please to be sharing the eBay seller's name. :)
it is 'lowmarkup' search his store 'batteries' the white with blue lettering are the LSD cells. The ones with orange color are 2700 and NOT LSD.

I measured my 16 EnergyONs I got from him with my c9000 and put the data a few months ago here. I also measured the dynamic impedance measured by the Australian tester I bought earlier this year.

Albinoni

Banned
I am going to buy either an e01, ld01, or ITP EOS flashlight, which all take AAA batteries. I'm wondering what are the best AAA nimh batteries in terms of discharge rate, capacity, durability, and overall performance. Though the eneloop AAs are the top of the line batteries, I heard the eneloop AAAs are horrible. Can anyone steer me the right way for which AAA nimhs I should buy?

I heard the eneloop AAAs are horrible

Really and says who ? Onbviously who you got this info off, knows jack poop about batteries. Eneloops are one of the best batts out there on the market and probably way ahead over the others. The other ones I also highly reccomend are the Imedions and PowerEx.

Ozgeardo

Newly Enlightened
I have been using both AA and AAA eneloops for about 3 years now.
Previously using primary Lithium's that were getting just too expensive.

In the field I use AAA extensively in my Garmin GPS 101 and my Petzl Tactica XP (modded with SCCP4). Also AAA, I carry a Fenix LOD for back up light in the field. Other than some Lithium Ion batts I require for mission specific equipment I only need to carry AAA's as spares (1 x set of charged batts in equipment and 6 spares usually see me through 8 days of field use. Plus I get to swap around batts if absolutely necessary,

Late last year I purchased a MAHA C9000 and have been paying attention to how my AAA eneloops have fair ed:

They are all still as good as new, they all hold charge for months when laid up and still perform excellently when fired up. They all maintain mid to high 700 mAh reading when refreshed/charged.

My Tactica XP and Garmin 101 are the 2 most critical pieces of kit I use in the field and I work in a very adventurous/dangerous environment, have every confidence in my Eneloop AAA's.

I would dearly like to have a high end tactical "thrower" flashlight in 3 or 4 x AAA configuration to further enhance my interchangeability but those I have played with (Led Lensar P7) just do not cut the mustard against my TK11(R2) or M20 running on 18650's when I need big tough light for SAR etc.

If you need AAA NiMh then I will stand by Eneloops

mfm

Enlightened
Really and says who ? Onbviously who you got this info off, knows jack poop about batteries.
There were some people here who did some unscientific tests and came to the conclusion that GP batteries were better...

I'm using Eneloop HR-4UTGA batteries and they work very well.

Tuikku

Enlightened
About using AAA batteries in iTP A3...

I have some NiMh AAA batteries (700mah "HEIenergy", don´t ask, not a clue about are they quality or not).

On High, they can keep iTP lit about ~2-3minutes.
After that voltage is quite low but if you let the battery rest awhile, voltage rises.

On medium, iTP will give light about 10+minutes.
Low not measured yet...

Are my NiMh batteries bad on capacity, bad in giving enough current, both, or is this a normal feature?

Fulgeo

Enlightened
I have 8 Eneloop AAA batteries, of which I have used 4 vigorously for more than a year. They are what I use in my pocket carry torches. They have proven to be a very robust cell. No failures and just a touch of bottom case indention. You would be well served by using Eneloop batteries. I also have 60+ AA Eneloops and have not experience one bad cell for two years. As a rule of thumb I use Eneloops for my AA & AAA needs and I use Accupower Evolution cells for my C & D needs. This modus has not let me down and I doubt it would let you down.