White Top vs. Black Top Duracells

WIshooter

Newly Enlightened
Are the 2650 MiHD Duracells that are rated at 2650 the cells that are called the "white tops"? :shrug: I went to the local Target after reading about them in the good deals forum.....the only duracell AA rechargables that I spotted were the 2650 green/black made-in-Japan and the copper/black 2200 made-in-China. If the green/black's are the "white tops", how do they get their name? :thinking:

clintb

Enlightened
Nope, those are just regular, non LSD, NiMh. The white topped Duracell AA that is referenced here quite a bit is a repackaged Sanyo Eneloop. You have to be careful though, it must be made in Japan, else it will not be an Eneloop.

Not sure about the copper/black 2200.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
They have to be labeled as "Precharged" 2000 Mah and the area around the nubbin at the positive terminal have to be white, and made in Japan.

InHisName

Enlightened
Ok, so Eneloop s are the white top made in japan.

Are there white top NOT made in Japan ? Who would make those ?

What about the made in china black top ones who makes those ?

If a Duraloop tests out to 1900+ on a c9000, then what do the black top ones test out to? Has anyone tested these yet ?

Battery Bum

Newly Enlightened
About ten days ago I was in my local Target and found 4 packs of the Japanese white top duraloops on sale for $6.45 instead of the normal 12.95. I bought a couple packs and later decided this was too good to pass up so the next day I returned to get more. I found hanging there on the battery hooks the same packages containing the black top pre charged duracell. Same package - different battery. The Chinese version. Luckily and happily I found some packs of white tops behind the blacks and grabbed them all. I queried a clerk who told me that they are restocking now with the black tops. I hope this doesn't mean that Duracell is no longer using the Japanese Eneloop. Anyone else seeing white top Duraloops being replaced with black tops?

clintb

Enlightened
Yes. At my local store, I only see AAA white tops. I used to see AA also, but they are all now black topped.
Whoa, white topped AAA's?! Check to see if they're made in Japan. If so, and they're at a good price (<$10/pk 4), you should grab a bunch.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I bought the last two white-top AA packs at my local Target during the mark-down, all that's left is black-tops now.

Whoa, white topped AAA's?! Check to see if they're made in Japan. If so, and they're at a good price (<$10/pk 4), you should grab a bunch.

Nearly all the AAA packs there are white-top. They were the same price as the AAs, ~$6.50

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Black-topped Duracell pre-charged made in Japan?

I just got back from Costco, where they were selling multi-packs of black-top Duracell pre-charged NiMH, but they were labeled as "Made in Japan," not "Made in China." The black top itself looked like they were a little different than the other black top Duracell's I've seen, in that there appear to be a few small pin-sized holes in the black paper around the positive contact. Are these Duraloops, or ROV, or...?

Bones

Enlightened
Re: Black-topped Duracell pre-charged made in Japan?

I just got back from Costco, where they were selling multi-packs of black-top Duracell pre-charged NiMH, but they were labeled as "Made in Japan," not "Made in China." The black top itself looked like they were a little different than the other black top Duracell's I've seen, in that there appear to be a few small pin-sized holes in the black paper around the positive contact. Are these Duraloops, or ROV, or...?

Yours appears to be the first report of a pre-charged NiMH cell that's labelled as made in Japan that may not be the Eneloop.

If your up for bringing a set home for a closer look, I'm pretty sure your post will find a big audience...

Marduke

Flashaholic
A new sub species perhaps....

Or worse yet, black top Duraloops to add to the confusion of white top Durahybrids...

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
the only other major mfr. in japan i can think of is matsushita(panasonic).the toshiba nimh i had a while back were made by them.the hitachi's were sanyo's.
this could be good that panasonic is jumping into the oem market for lsd's.

Wyeast

Enlightened
Sadly, the new Costco multipacks do say "Made in Japan" on the back of the card, but the batteries themselves say "Made in China". :mecry:

p9250151.jpg

p9250148.jpg
p9250149.jpg

I knew they were Durahybrids at the time, just got a little desperate as they didn't carry Eneloops anymore, and couldn't snag any white tops at Target that day. *hangs head*

Last edited:

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sadly, the new Costco multipacks do say "Made in Japan" on the back of the card, but the batteries themselves say "Made in China". :mecry:

Good catch. That's gotta be a violation of some sort of country-of-origin labeling law. Or, maybe it's perfectly legal, as long as the cells correctly state China, and they just did it to avoid the stigma of "Made in China."

Bones

Enlightened

I knew they were Durahybrids at the time, just got a little desperate as they didn't carry Eneloops anymore, and couldn't snag any white tops at Target that day. *hangs head*

Thanks for clarifying the origins of this new Costco Duracell multi-pack Wyeast.

In case you haven't noticed the relevant threads in the MarketPlace, eBay is becoming a pretty good source for reasonably priced 'Duraloops'.

Vendors seem to have realized that cells labeled as made in Japan with white tops are in greater demand, and several are now including this information in their listings:

AA's:

http://desc.shop.ebay.com ... duracell+aa+nimh+japan

AAA's:

http://desc.shop.ebay.com ... duracell+aaa+nimh+japan

Duracell Mobile charger including 10 AAA and 10 AAA cells stating all the cells were made in Japan:

http://cgi.ebay.com ... duracell-mobile-charger-extra-batteries
-

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
Good catch. That's gotta be a violation of some sort of country-of-origin labeling law. Or, maybe it's perfectly legal, as long as the cells correctly state China, and they just did it to avoid the stigma of "Made in China."

I have heard of products made in Mexico that are packaged in the US that receive the made in the USA label. Perhaps this is a similar situation or maybe the packaging itself was made in Japan. Whatever the case, it is clearly misleading and should not be allowed IMO. :thumbsdow