I'm looking for a multi-tool

pulstar

Enlightened
Hi guys. After spending some time in "flashlight department" i've started to thinking about getting some nice pocket multi-tool. But i have ZERO experience with this kind of gadgetry so i would need a bit of a help here.

firts of all, my budget would be around 80-100$ max. It must be easy-to- carry in a pocket and it has to have essential parts(sharp and durable knife, tongs, screwdriver,...), saw would be a nice addition since this tool would be used on mostly camping and hiking in woody areas. And very important: It must be left-handed friendly!

I only know brands like Leatherman and Gerber and i prefer knives made in Europe or USA. But that doesn't mean i'm oriented only towards these two brands.

*i'm searching for something similar to leatherman freestyle, but this model doesn't have a saw...

Thanks for help and replies.

Last edited:

PAB

Enlightened
I may not know where I am, but I'm not lost
The Freestyle is pretty small for a multitool. It only has a knife and pliers. It's as small as they come and is barely a multitool. If you really want a saw you are going to have to get a bigger multitool or else carry one separately. I prefer something a bit bigger. Like the Swiss Army Cybertool 41 or the Leatherman Wave or if you have big hands even the Leatherman Surge. Of course you need a belt pouch, clip, or belt hanger with those. I use the Swiss Army belt hanger so it hangs from my belt inside my pocket and doesn't wear a hole in my pocket.

pulstar

Enlightened
I really like leatherman's design and still prefer pocketability over number of tools. I would really like high-quality and sharp blade with some extras mentioned in first post. Wave looks nice but i find it a little bulky, and i think i wouldn't need all those tools. But on the other hand, there is no other multitools in leatherman's product range that contain a saw. Is there a posibility using a blade to cut through small branches?(for example, using a stone to "hammer" on a blade to cut through wood). And more, i really don't want it to rust a first month. i have had experiences that all that "stainless steel" blades aren't so rust proof like they should be...

CaseyS

Newly Enlightened
I have a Leatherman Squirt P4 that's nice and very small, but It may be a little too small. In order to get the tools to fit, some of them have been compromised. The bottle opener is terrible. The pliers are nice, but again small. You might want to take a look at the next size up, the Juice. They're small enough to carry, but big enough to be useful.

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my leatherman Wave, and it's big brother, the Surge. I've heard the Juice is pretty nice too.

kwkarth

Enlightened
I really like leatherman's design and still prefer pocketability over number of tools. I would really like high-quality and sharp blade with some extras mentioned in first post. Wave looks nice but i find it a little bulky, and i think i wouldn't need all those tools. But on the other hand, there is no other multitools in leatherman's product range that contain a saw. Is there a posibility using a blade to cut through small branches?(for example, using a stone to "hammer" on a blade to cut through wood). And more, i really don't want it to rust a first month. i have had experiences that all that "stainless steel" blades aren't so rust proof like they should be...

I have just about at least one of everything that's out there, some more than one.

If pocketability is a key factor, along with quality of manufacture, and usability, then I would recommend a Leatherman Skeletool or Skeletool CX.

Link to Skeletool CX

Tools:
154CM Stainless Steel Clip Point/Sheepsfoot Combo Knife
Needlenose Pliers
Regular Pliers
Wire Cutters
Hard-wire Cutters
Large Bit Driver
Bottle Opener
Carabiner Clip
INCLUDED BITS: Phillips #1 and #2 Bit, Screwdriver 3/16" and 1/4" Bit
Features:
DLC-coated Stainless Steel Handles with Carbon-fiber Handle Insert
Stainless Steel body
Outside-accessible Blade for One-handed Opening
All Locking Blades and Tools
Removable Pocket Clip
DLC Coating for Scratch and Corrosion Resistance
Nylon Sheath Sold Separately
25-year Warranty
Measurements:
4 in | 10 cm (closed)
5.0 oz | 142 g

I have been EDC'ing a Skeletool CX for well over a year now and find it better built, and of more utility than any other multitool I have. I also carry a small Victorinox Executive as well. IMHO, the Freestyle is too limited in utility and the Skeletool isn't really any bigger, but it is waaay more utilitarian. If you want more utility than the Skeletool, let me know.

BTW, I am in my right mind, because I too am a lefty, although, I do a few things ambidextrously or right handed.

ABTW, The Blast also has a nice complement of tools, and still a decently light weight. I have both, but the CX I carry more often.

Link to Blast

Last edited:

pulstar

Enlightened
I have just about at least one of everything that's out there, some more than one.

If pocketability is a key factor, along with quality of manufacture, and usability, then I would recommend a Leatherman Skeletool or Skeletool CX.

Link to Skeletool CX

Tools:
154CM Stainless Steel Clip Point/Sheepsfoot Combo Knife
Needlenose Pliers
Regular Pliers
Wire Cutters
Hard-wire Cutters
Large Bit Driver
Bottle Opener
Carabiner Clip
INCLUDED BITS: Phillips #1 and #2 Bit, Screwdriver 3/16" and 1/4" Bit
Features:
DLC-coated Stainless Steel Handles with Carbon-fiber Handle Insert
Stainless Steel body
Outside-accessible Blade for One-handed Opening
All Locking Blades and Tools
Removable Pocket Clip
DLC Coating for Scratch and Corrosion Resistance
Nylon Sheath Sold Separately
25-year Warranty
Measurements:
4 in | 10 cm (closed)
5.0 oz | 142 g

I have been EDC'ing a Skeletool CX for well over a year now and find it better built, and of more utility than any other multitool I have. I also carry a small Victorinox Executive as well. IMHO, the Freestyle is too limited in utility and the Skeletool isn't really any bigger, but it is waaay more utilitarian. If you want more utility than the Skeletool, let me know.

BTW, I am in my right mind, because I too am a lefty, although, I do a few things ambidextrously or right handed.

ABTW, The Blast also has a nice complement of tools, and still a decently light weight. I have both, but the CX I carry more often.

Link to Blast

Can you tell me, how's with corrosion resistance of leatherman multitools in general? I've heard about many issues that some models rust pretty easy. That's a big no-no to me:D Due to it's lower weight, if i would choose a big multitool i would probably get a swiss tool spirit, that is reviewed very nice, even though it's double-handed operated. Most of one handed operated tools are made for righties anyway, and i'm soooo clumsy with right hand...:oops: I think god gave me another hand just to preserve my body simetric. :D

kwkarth

Enlightened
Can you tell me, how's with corrosion resistance of leatherman multitools in general? I've heard about many issues that some models rust pretty easy. That's a big no-no to me:D Due to it's lower weight, if i would choose a big multitool i would probably get a swiss tool spirit, that is reviewed very nice, even though it's double-handed operated. Most of one handed operated tools are made for righties anyway, and i'm soooo clumsy with right hand...:oops: I think god gave me another hand just to preserve my body simetric. :D

I have owned Leatherman Multitools since they came on the market and those tools have been used (particularly in the early days, 1983, 1984, heavily, on a daily basis. I've never seen a single spot of rust on any of them. I do not store my tools in salt water, and I keep them clean and lubed, but rust has NEVER been an issue at all. I've NEVER seen rust on any Leatherman tool. I suppose that any rust problems you may have heard of involved cheap foreign clones. Leatherman uses good quality materials, and their warranty and customer service is top notch.

I have a couple of the Victorinox Spirits, and they are very nice, but too heavy for EDC.

kwkarth

Enlightened
By the way, I noticed on the Leatherman web site that the Skeletool CX is now shown with a plane/straight 154CM blade. The one I carry every day has a 154CM combo blade, so it is useful for "sawing" in a pinch. I bought mine at REI when they first came out.

stockae92

Enlightened
By the way, I noticed on the Leatherman web site that the Skeletool CX is now shown with a plane/straight 154CM blade.

that's a welcome update to me

i think this will finally push me over the edge and get a skeletool cx ... :p

Radiophile

Enlightened
My original PST got rusty in the joint where the blades attached to the handle despite regular cleaning/lubrication with Breakfree CLP. To be fair, I carried that tool for nearly a decade in my front pocket and in the summer I look a lot like frosty the snowman melting. Also, I never took it completely apart to clean up the rust, just flooded the joint with CLP, exercized the blades a few times, wiped up the excess, and repeated until no rust was seen.

Now that I have so many multitools I rotate what I carry and I haven't seen rust on any of them. I think that's why Leatherman makes them out of 420 stainless - it's pretty rust resistant.

If a good knife is important, you may want to consider one of the tools with blades made from premium materials. My Skeletool CX sees a lot of use when I don't want to carry both a tool and knife because the blade is 154CM. It's also handy to clip to my belt loop rather than carry it in my pocket.

AusKipper

Enlightened
I carry a Leatherman Charge TTi, and love it.

I have seen many different Leathermans in the flesh, and they are all very good. (so basically, if it has Leatherman written on the side, it should be decent..)

I would avoid new Gerbers, except for perhaps the Diesel (I have heard good things about that one)

Going by the quality of my Swiss Army Knife, I would think that their multitools are also decent, however I am yet to own one, or even see one in the flesh.

Really, the most important thing when deciding a multitool (once your going for a decent brand) is what tools it has on it, and what tools you will need the most.

The only tool I miss from my Leatherman Charge TTi (that my SAK had) is the Awl, and I am kinda bummed they didnt put one on the Charge.

For me, when I am looking for a multitool (if i for example lost this one, and my backup Charge that I got cos I liked it so much) I want the following items:

Pliers based multitools (the whole reason I went from SAK to Leatherman in the first place
Phillips head screwdriver
Flat head screw driver
Scissors (very important for my, probably the most used tool on it!!)
Decent knife (preferrably locking blade, not essential for me on a multi tool)
Saw

In the future, if any of the above are missing (which is fairly rare..) I wont be getting it.

Good luck with your purchase though

*edit*

On the whole rust thing, I frequently am cutting up two min noodle flavour sachets (full of salt) with the scissors and they never rust. The wire cutting part of the pliers rust up a bit on me now and then, I assume its a different steel or something, but its only when I haven't oiled it or anything in a very long time, so not really the tools fault I don't think. However when the pliers do rust up on me it is a real nuisance to try and get rid of the rust!! (but again, I expect that would be the same for any tool that I let get rusty..)

Last edited:

Radiophile

Enlightened
The wire cutting part of the pliers rust up a bit on me now and then, I assume its a different steel or something, but its only when I haven't oiled it or anything in a very long time, so not really the tools fault I don't think. However when the pliers do rust up on me it is a real nuisance to try and get rid of the rust!!

Two words - bronze brush. I've bought more than a few used Leatherman tools because I like the older models. Sometimes they come to me in really poor condition, but a bronze brush like you could buy in the auto detailing section of an auto parts store really works great at getting rid of rust.

ducat

Newly Enlightened
Leatherman wave.
I've EDC'd one for years and never needed anything else.

I used to carry a swiss army knife but I dropped it one day and the damned thing nearly folded in half! not recommended!

sappyg

Enlightened
based on the OP criteria i gotta suggest the vic spirit. it's as light as it gets for the size and is loaded with everything he needs plus it sooooo easey to use right or left handed.
i have both a wave and a spirit and there is really no contest. the wave is big, bulky, heavey and one handed, and has a limited tool inventory IMHO.
the spirit has everything you need easily accessed w/o opening the tool. when you do need to open the spirit you don't have to wrestle with it or pick around for the rest of the tools (which in the waves case are somewhat lacking).... again... MHO.
i this a good option is the leatherman blast. it has everything the OP needs and is ambidexterous. plus the tools lock. it's still not as small and light as the skeletool but it's a lot of value. i think the skeletool sounds like too much of a compromise.

kwkarth

Enlightened
based on the OP criteria i gotta suggest the vic spirit. it's as light as it gets for the size and is loaded with everything he needs plus it sooooo easey to use right or left handed.
i have both a wave and a spirit and there is really no contest. the wave is big, bulky, heavey and one handed, and has a limited tool inventory IMHO.
the spirit has everything you need easily accessed w/o opening the tool. when you do need to open the spirit you don't have to wrestle with it or pick around for the rest of the tools (which in the waves case are somewhat lacking).... again... MHO.
i this a good option is the leatherman blast. it has everything the OP needs and is ambidexterous. plus the tools lock. it's still not as small and light as the skeletool but it's a lot of value. i think the skeletool sounds like too much of a compromise.
The only problem with the Victorinox Spirit is that it weighs a ton. It will pull your pants down unless you really cinch your belt super tight.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Charge TTi rusted within 6 hours of exposure to seawater during a recent fishing trip. The rust developed around the plier area which I used to remove the hooks.
I'll remind myself to oil it nicely beforehand next time. Unfortunately I didn't bring any other multitools because TTi is what I depend on so I don't know how well others withstand rust.

All these years my Leatherman never rust under normal use, ie not exposing to seawater.

Last edited:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Use normal precautions and leatherman won't rust. I.e. don't put it away wet, if you get corrosive stuff on it rinse it off. Only time my wave rusted was when I took it skiing and put it away wet for the night.