PK Design Lab
Page 20 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1013141516171819202122232425262730 ... LastLast

Thread: Comprehensive Grease and Lube Thread

Enlightened

Arrow Re: Comprehensive Grease and Lube Thread

Back again after having to re-register.
    Great info in this thread to the newbie such as myself.
    Thanks to all.

Is super lube grease safe for all O-ring compositions?

Thanks in advance.....

Flashaholic

Default Re: Comprehensive Grease and Lube Thread

Just so you know, I haven't read all pages of this thread as I just found it.

I just bought two tubes of Nano-oil, 10Wt, 8cc for flashlight maintenance. I read some info on flashlight maintenance over @ the Dark Sucks website. I had just purchased a new Olight T25-T R5 in early March and had unscrewed the tail cap a few times since. It seems a bit gritty now and not smooth as the first few times using it. It hasn't even left the house yet and I've hardly used it, is this normal?, I didn't get it dirty at all.

Do you guys clean the threads with alcohol or Windex, then lube the threads and O-rings when you first get them?.

How do I properly use the Nano-oil without wasting it?. Just use a drop or two on the threads, then use a small thin paintbrush to evenly spread the oil?.

I'm going to wait for the Nano-oil to arrive before I use the light again. I should have my second light by that time also, the Klarus ST10.

I don't plan on removing the head of the flashlight, so I shouldn't have to clean and oil the threads for it, correct?.

Flashaholic

I was considering buying some form of lubrication for my new flashlights but I didn't know which one to choose. I ended up reading a DarkSucks thread on CPF which led to visiting Jason's website. He recommends this oil for both the threads and O-rings. He makes and sells flashlights so I tended to trust him. I then looked for the Nano-oil website and purchased 2 tubes (more than I'll ever need).

Both of the flashlights (one I have and one that will be coming) are aluminum. Should I be concerned about using Nano-oil with this type of metal?. The threads for the head of the flashlight's are not anodized but should be good enough, yes?. I don't plan on taking the head off anyway.

I wasn't aware of the any heath hazards regarding Nano-oil until after purchasing. Any new findings?.

Taken from the Nano-oil by St. Claire FAQ

is Nano-Oil TM by StClaire suitable for all types of metals ? yes, Stainless, Titanium, Brass, Aluminum etc. it will reduce friction on all metal to metal dynamic contacts it will also perform very well on Polymer to Metal moving parts.
    Last edited by Dry-cell; 03-28-2011 at 09:00 PM. Reason: added more content and fixed link

Unenlightened

Following Teacher's question, above, about whether Super-Lube is safe for all O-Rings, is there any reason not to use it?

I see from the original list of "Very Good" lubricants, we have these choices:
    Very Good Lubes
    Nyogel
    Super-Lube
    NO-OX-ID
    Krytox (and re-brands, including Finish Line Extreme Fluoro)
    Nano-Oil
    Super-Lube is the cheapest of the bunch, and it's readily available. Finish Line Extreme Flouro is close in price, but the rest are far more costly. I'm willing to pay more for a good result, but given that they're all on the same list, will Super-Lube do the job well enough?

Default About FL lubrication

After having lots of flashlights in the past few months I've seen some of them could have been treated better by lubricating the threads and o-rings. All the lubrication threads seem to be left far in the past so I needed to bring the topic back a little.

I tried NexTorch's silicone grease sold in many HK shop at first but it gave a more gritty feeling, dried and stiffened the threads even more. Secondly, I tried some PTFE based lubricant as it was said to be rubber safe and it improved a bit. Then I realized that I had Ballistol General Purpose "Non-Toxic" Oil sold for mainly firearms maintenance. I tried them on a few lights and they were much more better and smooth. I had read Ballistol was mildly alkaline to help neutralizing the acidic pollutants. As aluminum can react both with alkalines and acids this issue was discussed for Ballistol and it was said to be so mild to react with aluminum so I felt safe.

To confirm this, has anyone used Ballistol for a longer period and seen adverse effects on bare aluminum or o-rings?

Flashaholic*

A while ago I was looking for a good lube for my lights and I found Super-Lube Synthetic Grease. Thank you N162E for the recommendation, this is the best stuff I have used and I use it on all of my lights (to be fair I haven't tried many due to cost or lack of availability). I tried the Super-Lube in the aerosol and that didn't work well, get the grease that is in a tube.

Quote Originally Posted by TyJo View Post
    A while ago I was looking for a good lube for my lights and I found Super-Lube Synthetic Grease. Thank you N162E for the recommendation, this is the best stuff I have used and I use it on all of my lights (to be fair I haven't tried many due to cost or lack of availability). I tried the Super-Lube in the aerosol and that didn't work well, get the grease that is in a tube.
    Glad to hear its working out for you. I was using it on Mag-Lights before CPF existed. You'll find a lot of uses for it over time.
    Fred R. Elias Jr. N162E
    1-586-755-1245 24/7
    fre@felias.com

Flashaholic

Would these 6" wooden cotton swabs be good for cleaning flashlight threads, or are there better ones?. I need to be able to order from Canada without insane shipping costs.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Dry-cell View Post
    Would these 6" wooden cotton swabs be good for cleaning flashlight threads, or are there better ones?. I need to be able to order from Canada without insane shipping costs.
    I cut up old t shirts and use them as cloths. I also got these cleaning sticks at countycomm.com but their site is down for maintenance. They work pretty good, with or without using a cloth on them. I worry about cotton swabs leaving fibers behind on the threads.

I really should start cleaning mine now !

Quote Originally Posted by lyklyk616 View Post
    I really should start cleaning mine now !
    You might aswell start with the best, easiest way I can think of,
    1- remove your O-ring
    2- use an old tooth brush & dip in alcohol, Cognac could do if nothing else is available, LOL but true.
    3- air dry or blow compressed air if you have.
    4- lubricate the threads firstly and O-ring grove with the lube of your choice.
    5- inspect the O-ring for cracks and or abrasive marks replace if necessary, than lubricate to cover cross section and circumference with a thin film,
    too much will only attract dust, sand, lint etc.
    6- place O-ring back in its groove.

You are done,
    Sounds like a lot of steps but there is nothing to it,
    If you have many lights, just line them up and work on them on same time.

If you use cloth to wipe, use polyester, cotton fiber would catch on thread burrs and leave more short filaments behind.
    Have fun doing it.

AHHHHH!
    This thread is VERY confusing and frustrating!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by bleagh View Post
    AHHHHH!
    This thread is VERY confusing and frustrating!
    Post what is confusing and frustrating you, in the form of a question, and I am sure someone can help.

Quote Originally Posted by TyJo View Post
    Post what is confusing and frustrating you, in the form of a question, and I am sure someone can help.
    Ok ok, but first a small gripe!

To start with I don't like how this thread is done. Basically all lubing topics or such are pushed to this thread. Then people are further 'pushed' to the first post. And some here don't agree with the ratings in the first post, which means they are clearly somewhat biased. Now I have NOTHING at all against TC, and I'm not even trying to suggest he has done anything but a good job. I just don't understand why the cpf mods basiclly push his opinions more than others.

Now I don't think this is what was intended, but it is the net effect nevertheless.

For example, several have stated that they don't like Nyogel as good as a couple of the other lubes. Yet Nyogel is the first lube listed on the top group of lubes. Another example, some seem to like a Mobile1 product, yet it is not mentioned in the first post at all...???

Okay, I know nothing is perfect in this world, and this is currently the system we have. But I don't like it all the much...

Or just leave things be, and I'll just have to adjust!

Now the most confusing and frustrating part of this whole thread has to do with Nano-Oil. It seems that most that use it actually quite like it. But there are some that will not use it, BUT THEY ALSO WILL NOT GIVE A REASON! One even went so far as to say he has a good reason not to use it on flashlights, but again he WILL NOT STATE THIS REASON! Without giving the reason, the comment is meaningless and pointless!

Nyogel is another that is quite confusing. Some are saying that it causes thread wear. A few others say it doesnt cause thread wear, but that it just looks dirty because it changes colors as it oxidzes...???

Lastly (for now anyway), it seems that most of the lubes are better for some conditions (such as thread and material types) and not as good for other conditions. Yet very little of this info has made it into the first post. This is quit a large thread, and digging thru it to find such info is quite frustrating...

Flashaholic*

To start with I don't like how this thread is done. Basically all lubing topics or such are pushed to this thread.
    I'm not too sure that 157 threads on what lube to use would be so much easier for you - or anyone on these forums for that matter.
    So many lights, so little money (cause I spent it on lights). I'm not afraid of the dark, the dark is afraid of ME!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiMark View Post
    I'm not too sure that 157 threads on what lube to use would be so much easier for you - or anyone on these forums for that matter.
    This is true.
    Ok ok, but first a small gripe!

To start with I don't like how this thread is done. Basically all lubing topics or such are pushed to this thread. Then people are further 'pushed' to the first post. And some here don't agree with the ratings in the first post, which means they are clearly somewhat biased. Now I have NOTHING at all against TC, and I'm not even trying to suggest he has done anything but a good job. I just don't understand why the cpf mods basiclly push his opinions more than others.

Now I don't think this is what was intended, but it is the net effect nevertheless.

For example, several have stated that they don't like Nyogel as good as a couple of the other lubes. Yet Nyogel is the first lube listed on the top group of lubes. Another example, some seem to like a Mobile1 product, yet it is not mentioned in the first post at all...???

Okay, I know nothing is perfect in this world, and this is currently the system we have. But I don't like it all the much...

Or just leave things be, and I'll just have to adjust!

Now the most confusing and frustrating part of this whole thread has to do with Nano-Oil. It seems that most that use it actually quite like it. But there are some that will not use it, BUT THEY ALSO WILL NOT GIVE A REASON! One even went so far as to say he has a good reason not to use it on flashlights, but again he WILL NOT STATE THIS REASON! Without giving the reason, the comment is meaningless and pointless!

Nyogel is another that is quite confusing. Some are saying that it causes thread wear. A few others say it doesnt cause thread wear, but that it just looks dirty because it changes colors as it oxidzes...???

Lastly (for now anyway), it seems that most of the lubes are better for some conditions (such as thread and material types) and not as good for other conditions. Yet very little of this info has made it into the first post. This is quit a large thread, and digging thru it to find such info is quite frustrating...
    This thread is opinionated and subjective with facts and personal experiences sprinkled in... as is every thread on CPF (which is why it is fun, its a discussion). I use Super-lube (get the stuff in the tube, not the aerosol) and have not had any problems and recommend it, and its cheap.

Flashaholic

I don't like how this thread is done. Basically all lubing topics or such are pushed to this thread. Then people are further 'pushed' to the first post. And some here don't agree with the ratings in the first post, which means they are clearly somewhat biased. Now I have NOTHING at all against TC, and I'm not even trying to suggest he has done anything but a good job. I just don't understand why the cpf mods basiclly push his opinions more than others.

IMHO, the CPF mods refer lube questions to this thread so you won't have to search 200 different threads for the information you want.

For example, several have stated that they don't like Nyogel as good as a couple of the other lubes. Yet Nyogel is the first lube listed on the top group of lubes. Another example, some seem to like a Mobile1 product, yet it is not mentioned in the first post at all.
    It looks like you have spent the effort to read most of this thread. That is commendable. Have you considered adding a page to the CPF Wiki about lubricants, organized in a way that makes sense to you? The knowledge is fairly fresh in your mind right now. A presentation that makes more sense to you will probably make more sense to someone else, too. I agree that it's a little tedious to search the thread for the details I want, and I may not find the dissenting opinion which may fit my use better. Try it. Odds are, some others will like it (and some will not; that's life).

I would just buy the cheapest dielectric silicone grease I could find from the hardware store. I seriously doubt nano-oil or nyogel or whatever has any real-life advantages over just plain silicone... Just like I'm having a hard time buying into De-Oxit... Why not 99% pure Isopropyl or pure acetone to clean your contacts? It's so much cheaper and seems to do the same job... Somebody correct me if I'm far off base on this one...

Shao

It may not be worth the price to some but the Nano-Oil has made the thread contact so much smoother than any other lubricant/ grease I have used with no damage to the o-rings.

Quote Originally Posted by shao.fu.tzer View Post
    I would just buy the cheapest dielectric silicone grease I could find from the hardware store. I seriously doubt nano-oil or nyogel or whatever has any real-life advantages over just plain silicone... Just like I'm having a hard time buying into De-Oxit... Why not 99% pure Isopropyl or pure acetone to clean your contacts? It's so much cheaper and seems to do the same job... Somebody correct me if I'm far off base on this one...

Shao

Default Titanium Lube

I couldn't easily find a clear statement about this in this long thread, but for titanium lights, a great lube was "DuPont Teflon® Bearing Grease," which has been discontinued under that name but can now be purchased as "Finish Line Extreme Fluoro Grease." The stuff is apparently pure Krytox grease from DuPont - it was (and is) packaged for bicycle use, and is available fairly widely and at a decent price when compared to the prices of the same stuff sole in industrial packaging.

I've found it to be, for this purpose, superior to SuperLube, antiseize, lanolin-based lubes, Nyogel, and ceramic (boron) greases.
    Last edited by JML; 05-02-2011 at 05:00 PM.
    ** EagleTac D25C, D25LC2, & G25C2 Mk. II ** JETBeam Element E3S, Jet-III Pro ST-BVC, Jet-III Military, RRT-01, & RRT-2 Raptor ** Olight Titanium Infinitum #62 (Polished) ** Sunwayman V10R Ti, V20C, & V25C**

Default Re: Titanium Lube

One little addition to the discussion. I've found that microfiber cloths, (you can get them just about anywhere now) are really nice for cleaning my lights. I use 91% isopropyl alcohol, (get mine at Walmart) I keep one for cleaning the threads of old and dirty lube, (this is where the microfiber cloths work really well), and another one for cleaning springs, contacts, even the lens of fingerprints and such. All the auto parts stores sell them, sometimes a 3 pack or even a 10 pack. They're not very expensive and are great for stuff like your lights. I have some that are way more expensive for working on my cars, and they were bought specifically for detailing, etc. But the kind they sell at Walmart, or Target, or the auto parts stores are cheaper and work very well for flashlight maintenance. When you feel they're dirty, throw 'em in the washer with your jeans! Should last you for years, and they treat your lights a little better than some materials would.
    Jeff

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Titanium Lube

Quote Originally Posted by mrlysle View Post
    One little addition to the discussion. I've found that microfiber cloths, (you can get them just about anywhere now) are really nice for cleaning my lights. I use 91% isopropyl alcohol, (get mine at Walmart) I keep one for cleaning the threads of old and dirty lube, (this is where the microfiber cloths work really well), and another one for cleaning springs, contacts, even the lens of fingerprints and such. All the auto parts stores sell them, sometimes a 3 pack or even a 10 pack. They're not very expensive and are great for stuff like your lights. I have some that are way more expensive for working on my cars, and they were bought specifically for detailing, etc. But the kind they sell at Walmart, or Target, or the auto parts stores are cheaper and work very well for flashlight maintenance. When you feel they're dirty, throw 'em in the washer with your jeans! Should last you for years, and they treat your lights a little better than some materials would.
    I use the 91% alcohol from walmart too and these cleaning sticks. I use old t shirts that I cut up in tiny rags and wash them with my laundry. I also was going to try some microfiber towels I had the next time I cleaned my lights. I use Super-lube grease when I am done cleaning them.

Enlightened

Default Material of the o-ring of headlamps of Spark and Zebralight

I asked at Spark Technology of which material the o-ring is made, they use in the ST5 series?

Their answer: silicone rubber

When I understood this thread correctly, I can use any petroleum based lube for my lamp, right?

I do not like to buy any new lube (not because the small amount), but I prefer to use one I still own.
    Petroleum jelly is existent in the household.

Second question, because at the end of the year I will buy a Zebralight ZL502w:

I asked the same question about the o-ring.
    ZL answered "The o-ring is made of NBR (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrile_rubber)".

When I understand it correctly I cant't use petroleum jelly with that type of petroleum based o-ring.

I have to use any silicon based lube, right?
    Cycling: Schmidt SON hub dynamo & Edelux front light

Default Re: Material of the o-ring of headlamps of Spark and Zebralight

Quote Originally Posted by ibu View Post
    I asked at Spark Technology of which material the o-ring is made, they use in the ST5 series?

Their answer: silicone rubber

When I understood this thread correctly, I can use any petroleum based lube for my lamp, right?

I do not like to buy any new lube (not because the small amount), but I prefer to use one I still own.
    Petroleum jelly is existent in the household.

Second question, because at the end of the year I will buy a Zebralight ZL502w:

I asked the same question about the o-ring.
    ZL answered "The o-ring is made of NBR (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrile_rubber)".

When I understand it correctly I cant't use petroleum jelly with that type of petroleum based o-ring.

I have to use any silicon based lube, right?
    Petroleum Jelly is OK on Silicone O-ring, not sure about the NBR ring. A better solution for you would be to pick up a tube of "Super Lube" PTFE based lube. Super Lube will work well on all your rings, is cheap and does not seem to get as dirty and gummy as petroleum jelly. I understand you want to use what you have in house but, I think you would be really happy with the Super Lube and probably never reach for the Vaseline again.

On second read I see you are in Germany. If it is not available locally to you try to find an equivalent PTFE based lube. This is the product you want http://www.super-lube.com/greases-sy...ease-c-4_9.htm If not available locally they may ship to you.
    Last edited by N162E; 06-05-2011 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Additional Info
    Fred R. Elias Jr. N162E
    1-586-755-1245 24/7
    fre@felias.com

Enlightened

Default Re: Material of the o-ring of headlamps of Spark and Zebralight

@N162E
    Thanks for your advice.

OK: with a PTFE based lube I'm on the safe side for all o-rings I ever get in contact. Sounds good.
    Shipping from USA to Germany is typically very expensive. I will try to find a PTFE lube locally.

I have one lube which is intended to use on sanitary armatures. But on the package are no hints about the components. I will try to check it out.
    Cycling: Schmidt SON hub dynamo & Edelux front light

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by QtrHorse View Post
    It may not be worth the price to some but the Nano-Oil has made the thread contact so much smoother than any other lubricant/ grease I have used with no damage to the o-rings.
    Nano oil is great! Not only does it smooth out my flashlahts' threads, but in my 1970 BMW 2002's engine, transmission and differential it improved fuel mileage by 15%, so it paid for itself after 5,500 miles. Who says it is expensive?

can anybody tell me the most popular viscosity of krytox that is used most for flashlights.

Buy the Krytox 50/50 from the Sandwich Shoppe. It's pre-mixed to be the right viscosity.

REGARDING CLEANING THREADS: With all the different lubes people are trying, just rubbing the threads with cotton swabs or T-shirts isn't enough. If I can completely disassemble a new light, I'll wash the casing with a toothbrush and blue Dawn dish detergent, which has the most powerful detergent of any dish soap on the market. If I can't completely disassemble it, I clean the threads by spraying them with CRC Mass Airflow Sensor Cleaner from the auto parts store. It's a powerful, fast-evaporating, plastic-safe solvent that will strip any lube off anything you spray it on. (it will even remove your skin oil, so wear gloves.) It's not the greatest for the environment, but one can of the stuff will give several flashlights a good initial cleaning, and after that you can use whatever lube you want without worrying about chemical incompatibility between old lube residues.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudi View Post
    Nano oil is great! Not only does it smooth out my flashlahts' threads, but in my 1970 BMW 2002's engine, transmission and differential it improved fuel mileage by 15%, so it paid for itself after 5,500 miles. Who says it is expensive?
    You're not supposed to use friction modifiers in transmissions, automatic or manual. Both kinds of transmissions require a certain amount of friction between parts in order to smoothly change gears. Also, some newer oils will damage the brass parts in manual transmissions, because the exposed sulfur ions on the ends of the oil molecules will attack the copper in the brass parts, forming copper sulfate that falls off the parts and builds up in the oil pan.

Default Switch lubrication

Is it a good idea to lubricate the insides of the switch of a new light?

Would this improve the life and reliability of the switch?

I was thinking of squirting a tiny bit of Super-Lube in there.

Page 20 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1013141516171819202122232425262730 ... LastLast