Tekna Flashlights

NE450No2

Enlightened
Anyone remember Tekna Flashlights?

Pre Sure Fire days, I had a couple of single N cell [if I remember correctly] Tekna's, and a couple of 4 AA Cell Tekna Lite 4's.

My wife still used one of the TL 4's.

redcar

Enlightened
I have a couple of Tekna's I used, they were my first small "hi tech" lights. Still have the mirco with the original lithium cell that I used as my back up light back in the day. Still works! lol That lithium cell is approaching 25 yrs old by now. Still reads over 3 volts. Long since retired but forever loved.

One of my tekna's has the flasher bulb in it. It still works too with fresh AA's of course.

I also have a couple of the tekna dive knives (one black finish, one stainless), I even have the original velcro straps with the spring loaded buckles around here somewhere.

Good stuff for their time. They were highly valued companions from the adventures of my youth.

Redd

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I still have one of the lights that uses 2 N cells and a #222 bulb. It was a good light but after I put 3-4 sets of batteries in it I decided that the cost for the output wasn't worth it. I am thinking about hollowing out the body to fit a AA cell and put a heatsink and high power LED in it with a multistage circuit but the magnifying lens may be a problem with the beam.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Tektite is making good strong LED lights than can withstand extreme depths, using newer Q5 Cree LEDs. Their heavy duty Al lights still use an optic producing a 6 degree beam, as it did years ago. These are solid basic lights running on C Alkaline cells, which can be used with NiMh cells. Some of my most reliable lights run direct drive using common alkaline cells. Looking at their site you can see that they have taken over the Tekna line.

Bill

aldagoods

Newly Enlightened
Funny you all posted this forum. Im definitely a closet junkie, and realized I still have my old Tekna splashlight I picked up in 5th grade cub scouts / boy scouts? Around 1982. -- either way, I have a few pics ive loaded onto my computer, but cannot seem to load them here. If anyone has a suggestion or a way to upload, hit me up.

The body of the light says Tekna Splash-Lite.
The plastic case says Tekna Lite 2, Belmont CA. Bulbs are incans, 2.2vol, .25a. Similarly, had the original backup battery still in it which kinda worked, but with a new lithium, great lil light still. Thing was, and still is pretty damn bulletproof and has seen countless trips over 3 decades.

gorn

Enlightened
I still have my tekna light somewhere. It served me well for many years. I also had the tekna wilderness edge survival knive with fishing reel and light in the handle. I really liked that knife. Looking at Tekna's home page it appears that they are the new owners of ARC lights, I find that interesting.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I still have my tekna light somewhere. It served me well for many years. I also had the tekna wilderness edge survival knive with fishing reel and light in the handle. I really liked that knife. Looking at Tekna's home page it appears that they are the new owners of ARC lights, I find that interesting.

See this re Tektite and Tekna. http://www.tek-tite.com/src/products.php?c=3053

Tektite sells Arc flashlights, as well as other products that they do not make.

Bill

Scott@Tektite

Newly Enlightened
Any pictures of the pre-surefire days? =D

Just for fun, here is a TEKNA LITE lineup photo, roughly to scale for the smaller lights> http://www.tek-tite.com/src/images/tekna_flashlights.jpg There is also a LITE 1, single AA with a 112 bulb. It's the same outer body as the 2 N Micro-Lite, with internal fins and a stop in the bottom for the shorter battery length. The Lite 2 Marker version also had a 1 AA xenon strobe version with the same outer case & (clear) lens. The Splashlite is still in production, and the new Lite 3 is a 3AA LED with a Nichia GS and reflector.

Also, just to clarify: We own the TEKNA name and trademark for flashlights, knives and diving equipment, and are the only official source for Tekna parts and products (excluding ebay used stuff, o'course) ;)

We represent/sell ARC Flashlights to the government markets, Peter's still in charge.

Last edited:

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tektite is in the house!

I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread. I have an old Tekna flashlight that I had put into a survival kit some years ago that I recently dug up. The single AA alkyline battery that was in it had long ago leaked all over the inside of it. Most of the metal parts inside are trashed, even the reflective coating on the reflector is gone. The plastic has survived so it's basically just a shell at this point. I'll need to take a picture of it as I'm not quite sure which model it is but I do want to put a 222L LED lamp into it and try to revive it. I think I tried to bore it out to fit a CR123A cell in it so that I don't have any leakage issues to contend with in the future. Yes, it will fit.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone remember Tekna Flashlights?

Pre Sure Fire days, I had a couple of single N cell [if I remember correctly] Tekna's, and a couple of 4 AA Cell Tekna Lite 4's.

My wife still used one of the TL 4's.
I used a Tekna rechargeable dive light on patrol around 69-71. Compared to the two and three cell "corrugated" metal lights of the day it was a spotlight.
A business in town did a lot of the plastic for their dive equipment *and* left a door unlocked about twice a month. I'd wander around and see all the new toys before calling the owner down to lock up.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Splashlite is still in production, and the new Lite 3 is a 3AA LED with a Nichia GS and reflector.

I'm having troubles viewing your website, do you have any 1AA or 1AAA lights that use a Nichia GS? A 1AA ABS light with a GS would definately be one of those must have items for those who appreciate long running, tough and efficient task lights / emergency lights.

Scott@Tektite

Newly Enlightened
I'm having troubles viewing your website, do you have any 1AA or 1AAA lights that use a Nichia GS? A 1AA ABS light with a GS would definately be one of those must have items for those who appreciate long running, tough and efficient task lights / emergency lights.

Right now, only the ARC light in alum. We do make 2 GS-based keychain ABS lights; Trek Lithium (1-3.6v lith AA) and the Knifelite (2-cr2025).

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right now, only the ARC light in alum. We do make 2 GS-based keychain ABS lights; Trek Lithium (1-3.6v lith AA) and the Knifelite (2-cr2025).

Did a web search, wow, I'm liking that Trek Lithium, 200+ hours at full power? Is that right? Also is it 3.1 lumens with the GS or are those old specs? Also is there voltage protection in the light?

Also, do all of your 5mm LED lights now use a GS?

Scott@Tektite

Newly Enlightened
Did a web search, wow, I'm liking that Trek Lithium, 200+ hours at full power? Is that right? Also is it 3.1 lumens with the GS or are those old specs? Also is there voltage protection in the light?
Also, do all of your 5mm LED lights now use a GS?

The Trek Lithium uses a 3.6v Lithium-Thionyl-Chloride AA battery, with a max of 100ma draw. The GS is directly run from this. Lumens is more like 8 with the new LED. Only our solo-LED lights use the GS, due to the reduced LED life (1,000 hr). The rest of our white LED arrays use the Nichia DS.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Trek Lithium uses a 3.6v Lithium-Thionyl-Chloride AA battery, with a max of 100ma draw. The GS is directly run from this. Lumens is more like 8 with the new LED. Only our solo-LED lights use the GS, due to the reduced LED life (1,000 hr). The rest of our white LED arrays use the Nichia DS.

Never knew such a battery existed, thanks. The DS sounds good enough for me!