2AA LED flahlights

MK9

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,
I'm new here but in reading posts here on CPF I feel I'm in good hands. :twothumbs

I'm going for AA batteries for price and availability.
Unless someone can come up with a compelling argument for a CR123 (or any other power source) and against AA powered flashlight, I would like to get a 2AA flashlight.

Intended purpose: backpacking up to 5 days, backcountry (lightweight, compact, high quality, toughness)
Other purpose: On hip with Leatherman for everyday use in machine shop and restaurant maintainance repair.

If I did my research correctly, I've narrowed it down to these three:
Olight T25 regular
EagleTac P20A2
Fenix Digital LD20

My primary concern for the light (other than the battery type issue stated in the beginning) is sustained usable light. My primary concern for a flashlight is toughness and quality.

Olight T25 regular: 90Lm 5hrs
EagleTac P20A2: 60 lumens 8hrs
Fenix Digital LD20: 94 lumens 5hrs

What I'm asking for is opinions on my three choices (if I left out another make and\or model please direct me to it) and is there anything else I'm over looking as are as flashlight function.

Thanks

Kwanon13

Newly Enlightened
FYI, shiningbeam.com has the T25's on clearance. Great price for a solid light! :)

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, Welcome to CPF MK9

Each of the three lights you mentioned, plus the Quark AA are GREAT lights, and any of them would be great for 90% of the uses that 95% of the people would need them for.

Since you will be splitting hairs deciding between them as far as output/runtime [they all use similar LEDs], and IMO build quality and beam, I recommend you choose them based on how you think the user interface would work best for you, and the price you can get them for.

I have a Fenix L2D and EagleTac P10A2, both earlier versions of the current models. I like both lights very much. I prefer the UI on the EagleTac because it is simpler [high and low chosen by turning a ring] so you can easily choose at which level the light comes on. I like the clicky switch on the EagleTac better. The Fenix has four levels, plus strobe and SOS, which I find useless. Sometimes it takes extra clicks to get to a level I want. The pluses of the Fenix is its slightly better efficiency, which is accectuated by its low mode, so the batteries last longer, but since I use rechargeables thats only a small extra. The Fenix is also slighty smaller.
I've heard good things about the Olight and the Quark, but have no first-hand experience with them.

All four of the lights mentioned will run better on NiMH rechargeables since these batteries can send higher current to the led than akalines without suffering voltage sag. I HIGHLY reccomend the low self-discharge [LSD] batteries from Sanyo [Eneloop] or Ray-o-Vac [Hybrid]. Duracell [Pre-charged] also has them as do others. They have no 'memory' and are easy and very safe to charge.

Mr. kydex

Newly Enlightened
I don't own a Quark (yet) however I do own a Fenix LD20. I can honestly say the LD20, for now anyway, is my favorite light I own. Go with the LD20. Be advised, though, If you plan to use lithium AA's, you will lose the LOW mode.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
among the 3 you've mentioned:

Fenix is tough as nails
Olight is on sale
Eagletac i have no experience with

other suggestions:-

Nitecore D20, variable output so you can choose your optimal level of light, nice clip, good construction

Romisen RC N3 IIQ5: 2 modes, high: 3 hours, low: 12 hours. Quality is very decent for its price point (sub $30)

Romisen RC N3 warm white: single mode, but very nice tint

i own both the above and have no complaints, give 'em a look

Burgess

Flashaholic
Yes, by all means, look at the Quark 2xAA flashlight.

I've got one on order . . . .

In Titanium ! :cool:

Oh, and Welcome to CandlePowerForums !

:welcome:

_

Bullman

Newly Enlightened
Been considering a 2 AA light as a belt supplement light too, might as well tag this for future reference.

Roland the Headless

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,
I'm new here but in reading posts here on CPF I feel I'm in good hands. :twothumbs

I'm going for AA batteries for price and availability.
Unless someone can come up with a compelling argument for a CR123 (or any other power source) and against AA powered flashlight, I would like to get a 2AA flashlight.

Intended purpose: backpacking up to 5 days, backcountry (lightweight, compact, high quality, toughness)
Other purpose: On hip with Leatherman for everyday use in machine shop and restaurant maintainance repair.

If I did my research correctly, I've narrowed it down to these three:
Olight T25 regular
EagleTac P20A2
Fenix Digital LD20

My primary concern for the light (other than the battery type issue stated in the beginning) is sustained usable light. My primary concern for a flashlight is toughness and quality.

What I'm asking for is opinions on my three choices (if I left out another make and\or model please direct me to it) and is there anything else I'm over looking as are as flashlight function.

Thanks
Something you might consider is that other than Turbo mode, you get the same performance from the the LD10 as the LD20. So you have less weight to carry. If you want the additional runtime, you can just carry an additional AA battery. Or for even more versatility you could buy an LD10 and purchase an LD20 tube for the times you want to load up with a second battery.

Also, the LD10 and LD20 also now come with a clip (which I really appreciate and was the only thing they lacked previously in my opinion).

Rexlion

Enlightened
+1 for TK20. Normal output is 45 lumens, and Selfbuilt's test says 9 hours 12 minutes on Eneloops at that level. Turbo (150 lumens) is available with a twist of the head. Feels tough and secure in the hand. Nice beam tint. But I have to admit, I don't own any of the 3 you expressed primary interest in, so can't comment about them... other than to say, "they're sure not TK20s!" :)

AusKipper

Enlightened

They are all good, so pick one and be happy ;)

I am a Fenix fanboy, so I would get the LD20 if it was me (or the TK20) but the others are decent, as well as the Quark 2AA I hear (read) plenty of good things about.

IMO the Fenix LD20 is the Ugliest of the lot.. I used to think the TK20 was ugly too though, but now I own one, I have changed my mind :) (and besides, looks are only skin deep)

Egsise

Banned
I have Fenix LD10, TK20 and 4Sevens Quark AAw.
I EDC(holster) either the LD10 or Quark AAw, bot are roughly the same size as my Leatherman.
At outdoors I prefer the warmer tint, so if I would have to choose only one it would be Quark AA2 neutral white.
The Quark on low or moon mode is quite handy at night, you dont need 60+ lumens at campsite.
For reading even 0.2 lumens is enough.

You also might want to check the Zebralight headlamps, I have the H50 Q5 and the floody beam is very useful at campsite.

tozwp

Newly Enlightened
I've got both the L2D and the Quark AA^2. I've had the L2D for a couple of years now and it was my favorite light - replaced a 2D Mag light for hunting and camping. My biggest complaints with it was the lack of a clip and the low not being low enough. The Quark fixed that! The lowest setting will last 30 days and is bright enough to use for walking at night. The clip is great - I use it to clip the light to the brim of my hat for hands free use. The lanyard that comes with it is really nice also. It can be tightened around your wrist so it won't fall off when you need to let go of the light to free up that hand and its also long enough to hang the light around your neck. I like both lights but the Quark is my favorite. Both go hunting and camping with me now but if I had to pick one, the Quark wins hands down.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome: You feel in good hands? Perhaps YOU are, but what's about your wallet? We'll talk about that in 6 months again...

Meanwhile I have both the LD20 and the Quark AA-2 (neutral white). Both are currently in my backpack. The Quark will make it most of the time for me, because I preffer the neutral white tint. This isn't an argument for you, as you can currently only get both in cool white.

The choice would be difficult. I've got the LD20 OP (exists also in SMO, more throw, less flood), but the beam of the Quark is even better. I couldn't compare their throw until now, perhaps the LD20 will make it...

As for the TK20, we're back at the neutral tint, but it's a whole other light. It's a 2-mode tactical while teh two others are multi-mode universal lights. There's no thing as a low mode on thw TK20 and only the Quark offers the moon mode, very dim, but sooo usefull with night-adapted eyes.

I don't know the Olight nor the EagleTac, but I suppose they are somewhat behind, otherwise I would know them, because they'd be in my nightstand (or in my backpack, if they were better than the Quark & Fenix).

The choice is difficult, I would go with the Quark if I had to choose between the two. If throw lacks and the tint is too cool, there's the TK20 as a good companion, guess what my third light in the backpack is? There are 4 lights in there, the fourth one just joined the others yesterday, a Zebralight H501w, a headlamp if you want to call it that way. That's for later! :whistle: