Is BrightStar a good brand in HID stuff ? Particulary DIPPER JR. II compact HID ?

radu1976

Enlightened
Title says everything...
I was wondering if the BrightStar makes reliable HID torches as I might consider buying a DIPPER JUNIOR II one :
http://www.brightstar.com.tw/product_info_e.php?UID=838

I have never had an HID so far, I am newbie here, I had only LED lights.
I would preffer a compact HID and the DIPPER JUNIOR II seems suited to my needs .
Rated at 550 lumens , 4 cm diameter and 20 cm lenght.
But they say it's effective only up to 150m...
That's a quite short range for an HID in my opinion.

I was hoping it will outhrows my LEGION II from Neo which throws about 20,000 lux /1m and it seems to have 600-650 lumens.

Any opinion would be much appreciated !

vee73

Newly Enlightened
I do not know why people buy less than 25W HID lamps? Many LED lights are brighter, light up faster, and batteries last longer.

Patriot

Flashaholic
For lumen output, color temperature, beam shape quality, and efficiency, the LegionII is going to better the 12W brightstar by a good margin. Throw would probably be similar but that's the only place that the 12W would come close. To be honest, I wouldn't even bother with the brightstar since it's going to fall short of your L2 in nearly every area.

With HID, efficiency increases as wattage increases. You'll be able to take advantage of HID's strengths if you consider lights that are at least 20-25 watts, otherwise like you stated, LED has a lot going for it.

If compactness is of the highest importance, have a look at the Wolf Eyes Boxer 24W, Microfire K2000R, or the 24W Tactical HID and Oracle 24W HID (perform a search in the cpf marketplace for latter two.)

If longer run times are important have a look at the Xenide25, and Xenide20 made by AE Light.

Last edited:

radu1976

Enlightened
Thank you for the hints Patriot !
In this case I will give up at acquiring such a light.
The other compact HIDs you posted are too bulky flashlights for me...even the LEGION II is big.
I preffer to carry 5-6' long LED flashlights or 1CR123 format ones :)
On the other side you can't have 500 lumens brightness in a pocketable format ...not yet !
2+ years have passed since the Q5 came on the market and what do we have now ? Only a 10-15% more efficient R2 with the XP-G incoming ...

slappomatt

Newly Enlightened
why not? there are MCE and P7 led pocket lights that should easily have 500 lumens.