Best All In One Device For Camping, Hiking, Etc.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you could take just one all in one electronic device with you for rural parts of the U.S. for camping, bicycling, hiking, etc. what would it be and why? For me, it would be a:

-GPS Smartphone: Using Garmin Mobile XT, since it works independent of the cell towers.

-Carrier: I suppose CDMA is generally better in rural U.S., so Verizon. (Are there any combination "world phones" that are both CDMA & GSM that are compatible with Garmin Mobile XT?)

-Backup Power: Do any cell phones use non-proprietary batteries? (For example, AA or AAA batteries that could be carried with?)

I suppose satellite phones could be a choice, but do any of them incorporate GPS that is usable to the end user yet.

Rugged and/or water proof also come to mind. Would you select something like an Airo A25 or A25is, or would you get a non-ruggedized unit and put it in an Otter Box or something similar to protect it? http://www.airowireless.com/

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, personally, nothing. I'm smart enough to realize that if I'm going out to a place I shouldn't, then I probably shouldn't come back. Personally, I think mountain climbers should have to pay the local SAR teams about $10K, before they go out doing crazy things in the mountains. That way, if they need rescuing, some of the cost is already paid for. If they don't need rescued, they get 90% back, when they return.

Aside from my little rant, still nothing. Mostly cause I hate carrying tons of stuff.:laughing: And I like the quiet. Alot.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
the problem with Verizon phones is you don't get a real GPS only aGPS so if you get out of signal range you loose that capability, I'm waiting now to see if they cripple the android phones or not.
I do get a cdma signal long after anyone else gsm phone drops, our verizon phones are popular at the family reunions when no one else's works.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the reply. That is absolutely correct. I have Garmin Mobile XT now on a Pharos GPS Phone 600, but it is GSM, thus AT&T or, in my case, T-Mobile. I guess it means I may have to end up getting two devices eventually. Even though it has not received great reviews, I would like to get a Garmin Nuvifone, have it unlocked, and use it on T-Mobile. I may eventually get something compatible with Verizon and then use it on Page Plus Cellular.

Onuris

Newly Enlightened
I would have to say an iPhone with the iGO 3D terrain maps and Groundspeak geocaching app. My fiance has that and carries it in an H2O Audio Amphibx armband. Works very well for her, I suppose I would be ok with the same as well if I had to only carry one device myself.

If the Garmin nuvifone or Google Android have good terrain maps, a geocaching app for them, and a GPS and compass that works well, then I suppose I could live with one of them as well.

But I personally prefer to always have with me my Motorola i580 phone, 64gb iPod Touch, and Garmin Oregon 550t.

Marc999

Newly Enlightened
Best all in one device? None of above.
Topographic maps of the area you'll be visiting.
Of course a compass is a given. Weather and or heavy cover may prevent proper signal triangulation of the gps units. I wouldn't rely on them 100%.

Having said that, I still use a Garmin 12xl that's ~ 15 yrs. old now. It's served me well on many occasions and is still accurate, if conditions are suitable.

If you lack map reading skills, ability to calculate distance/travel time, then sure get the garmin oregon. etc.

orbspeed1

Newly Enlightened
UK,England,Surrey,On a chair in front of my comput
Yes same as above post
Take the skills you need for a trip with no tech
Or someone that does and get them to teach you.

I ocasionaly walk on dartmoor in the uk a very inhospitable place often very foggy vis less than 50 yards its a high moor land gentle rolling hills and very boggy no trees or distinct terrain, navigation is hard I take 2 or 3 maps diffrent scales and publishers, compass, 2 gps'r, two phones and spare sim cards for different networks as phone signal not allways good or possible, also emergncy shelter or tent etc if two day walk, good outdoor clothes and spare clothes, Walking poles (although i hate them for walking there handy for crossing rivers and streams) Food and spare food, water and water purifyer, spare batteries, first aid kit, a good sense of fun and adventure, my girlfriend or/and friends, and of course torches 1 head, 1 pocket.
The most used piece of kit is my watch it tells me the time amongs other thing like altitude and compass bearings etc (casio pro trek prg-80t) this tells me how much time left till dark, distance covered vs time taken.
Then my map and compass, good observation, gps is only used to confirm my map skills if it says diffrent i then work out why :eek:

Allways tell someone you trust where you are going your route(and alternate route) time of departure and return time and time variations due to weather etc and what to do if you dont make it or contact them. (ie call police or mountain rescue etc)

Research your route and the weather speak to locals find out as much as posible before you go.

But always have fun and use comon sense.

carrot

Flashaholic
Using electronics as a crutch in the wild is not the best idea. I recently discovered that the iPhone, while excellent in urban areas, is a bit lacking on the trail due to poor reception and subsequently unusable GPS (I was using MotionX GPS, which works pretty well but not as good as a standalone) and also lacking due to poor battery life.

I'd personally just take an AA powered MP3 player with a radio, and perhaps a GPS. Any phone, particularly in an Pelican or Otterbox, or one of those vinyl waterproof cases, would be to just contact family members from time to time, mostly at a trailhead before leaving civilization.

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you need a GPS to get out of the wilderness, you are most likely somewhere you should never have been in the first place.

Personally, I'd rather have a laser. It's a lot more likely I will break a leg and be unable to get out myself than be unable to figure out how to get out. I am more interested in being able to signal a rescuer than in being able to use a gadget to find my car.

On the other hand, PHONES have proven useful to rescuers (if turned on). You may not be able to get a good enough signal to get a call in or out, but your phone will still be sending signals to the cell towers and rescuers have used that information in the past to triangulate approximate positions and find lost hikers.

orbspeed1

Newly Enlightened
UK,England,Surrey,On a chair in front of my comput
Also text messages are easyer to send than make a call in poor reception, the phone only needs a weak and very short connection to send or recieve a text message.

But dont rely on it as a get out of jail free card!!

My phone is also my radio, mp3, internet (maily weather reports) and it has a good camera (sony cybershot) take more photos than make calls when walking etc.

Last edited: