Which Quark UI do you prefer?

• Regular

Votes: 26 36.1%
  • Tactical

Votes: 46 63.9%

• Total voters

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trying to decide on a new AA light and the quarks seem like the way to go right now... (Hated the finicky D10 UI and the Fenix AA seems a bit outdated) As usual, I can't make a decision on my own and need your help :D:D:D

But, just wondering which interface you guys prefer? Regular or Tactical?

Im leaning towards tactical bc I like momentary on BUT, I like how you can easily access all modes on the regulars & tailstanding...

And I'm not going to "buy both" ;)

Last edited:

xenonk

Enlightened
And I'm not going to "buy both"

Some people get just the tactical tailcap to go with a regular unit and lego them together to get momentary activation. I'm not sure how they get used to juggling that with switch-activated modes, though.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some people get just the tactical tailcap to go with a regular unit and lego them together to get momentary activation. I'm not sure how they get used to juggling that with switch-activated modes, though.

:thumbsup: This is what I prefer. Get the level you want, then click it on. All 8 functions are available instead of only 2.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thumbsup: This is what I prefer. Get the level you want, then click it on. All 8 functions are available instead of only 2.

The tactical models allow you to program the light outputs you want, right. You can select the output/strobe, etc. by programming it from the available options right? In that case, I can see how the tactical models are popular.

MerkurMan

Newly Enlightened
I prefer the tactical myself. I don't like scrolling through multiple modes to get to the one I want. It's not too bad if you only have a few, but with the Quark's moonlight mode (which I almost never use), it's just more pressing to get where I want to go. With the tac set to my two favourite modes, I have instant light where and when I want it. :thumbsup:

hoongern

Enlightened
Honestly, it depends on what you're going to be doing. For me - when walking, I just need my quark on in short bursts here and there. The tactical works well for me since it will come on in high mode, my preferred mode. If it were regular, I'd have to keep going from moon->low->med->high everytime I wanted a 2 second burst, and risk overshooting into SOS/Beacon.

However, I have a Fenix PD30 which is similar to the regular interface, which does well when I want a light on for a longer period of time, then it really doesn't matter to me if it's reg/tac.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly, it depends on what you're going to be doing. For me - when walking, I just need my quark on in short bursts here and there. The tactical works well for me since it will come on in high mode, my preferred mode. If it were regular, I'd have to keep going from moon->low->med->high everytime I wanted a 2 second burst, and risk overshooting into SOS/Beacon.

However, I have a Fenix PD30 which is similar to the regular interface, which does well when I want a light on for a longer period of time, then it really doesn't matter to me if it's reg/tac.
There's a difference between working smart & working hard.
I do things the most efficient way with what's given, can't just blame the thing.

If you want a few second bursts of high every now & then, you could of just twisted it to turbo, may have been even better.:whistle:
If you're using the Quark AA with NiMH, the difference in output & runtime wouldn't have been much anyway.

And I didn't vote, simply because I've never used either. But I will eventually when the quark ti comes. So I wouldn't be sure which i prefer until i actually use it.

Last edited:

passive101

Enlightened
Regular until they make a tactical that will be 1) turbo, 2 user selectable starting at dim.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
If tactical had a third mode I'd vote for tactical. But two modes is a tough sell for a light which is going to be for general use. I wouldn't use a quark in a true tactical situation as to me tactical is a momentary switch and one mode period.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer the 'Tactical' models.

Cycling through modes annoys me... If I need a mode that my light isn't set for, I will grab another light :D

hoongern

Enlightened
There's a difference between working smart & working hard.
I do things the most efficient way with what's given, can't just blame the thing.

If you want a few second bursts of high every now & then, you could of just twisted it to turbo, may have been even better.:whistle:
If you're using the Quark AA with NiMH, the difference in output & runtime wouldn't have been much anyway.

And I didn't vote, simply because I've never used either. But I will eventually when the quark ti comes. So I wouldn't be sure which i prefer until i actually use it.

Yes, I do agree. Before I got the Quark Tac, that's exactly what I used to do with my PD30, except the reverse clicky sometimes annoyed me.. and if my 'short bursts' were < 2 seconds in between, it would go into strobe mode.

My Quark's with 14500 Li-ons anyway =)

I still like both regular and tac uis, just that what I use it for -Tac is a lot easier for me as of right now. Maybe a quark regular w/ forward clicky would work fine - although I might still have it going into strobe... and I don't really need it on turbo either.

asfaltpiloot

Newly Enlightened
I voted "regular"

Like the tailstanding and don't like reprogramming a light if i need a different mode / light level.
The regular has a 3 sec. memory btw.

It's fun to see the differrent opions. :popcorn:

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like momentary use of light. I don't like reverse clickies. I really hate having to cycle through a lot of modes or having to shut off and wait when I go past what I wanted/needed. The quark has 6 count them 6 modes with a loose bezel. I could avoid that annoyance by using the regular as a two mode light based on the bezel. Except then I don't get to choose my 2 modes and still have a reverse clicky switch.

Guess how I voted? ;)

pseudoblue

Newly Enlightened
Im leaning towards tactical bc I like momentary on BUT, I like how you can easily access all modes on the regulars & tailstanding...
I think you just got caught in the worst situation :D It depends which feature you want more.

If you choose regular and forward clicky tailcap, you'll still need to cycle through modes (without having to click on), but loose the tailstand. It will work more for you in turbo mode with forward clicky. This might be the best suited for you, but sacrifice the tailstand only.

If you choose tactical with reverse clicky tailcap, you get two modes that you can program anytime. But you get your tailstand.

Can't have both worlds in everything huh...

I'm using the tactical (with forward clicky) btw, I prefer the two programmable modes instead of cycling it thru everytime I turn it on.

Pekka

Newly Enlightened

It's kind of easier to use regular head with tactical cap than the regular cap. Let me explain:
To hit and stay in medium mode with regular cap you need heavy-light-light presses, tactical you need light-light-heavy presses.
To use light for a second in medium mode with regular you press heavy-light-light-heavy, but with tactical only light-light-light hold.
May need a second to get used to, but you don't accidentally change modes by sneezing at the cap while the light is on: the light touch to change modes is terribly oversensitive.

CaseyS

Newly Enlightened
I only have regular right now, but I'm really looking forward to my Ti tactical. I like them both. But after using the regular for a while, if I could only have one it would be the tactical interface.