Are You Influenced by Brand Loyalty?

recDNA

Flashaholic
Sometimes I notice that some posters seem to constantly boost Jetbeam, others Liteflux, and MANY swear by SF, or Malkoff or Quark.

I wonder how many of us have a distinct brand loyalty and why?

I confess that while I like to try as many brands as I can afford I always give Fenix the edge if reviews are close. IME the Fenix lights I've owned have nice round wide beams with very bright hotspots. Part of the reason may also be that my favorite supplier carries Fenix and gives a decent discount on Fenix and several other brands. I've also never needed service on any of my Fenix lights.

Do YOU have a favorite brand or do you try to buy exclusively on the merits you read about in the reviews here or elsewhere?

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today I would tend to answer neither nor!

My first lamps were Surefires, but I switched to Fenix because Surefires are very expensive in Europe. That was in early 2008 and an engineer who builds drop-ins for Maglites told me that Fenix was the only chinese brand that built quality. Ni idea if he was right or wrong, but he brought me to the Fenix and I liked them. Then, I made the mistake to begin to read on CPF... :ohgeez:

Then came Olights, EagleTacs, Jetbeams, Nitecores. I always try not to stick to a brand, so I did what you mentionned, I read reviews and realized that there are more brands than Fenix that build quality!

Now, things have evolved once more and I arrived at the customs, we can also call them "little productions". That was really the biggest mistake until now, they really should restrict that part of the Forum... lovecpf

So, now I Have started to buy little brands I even didn't know a few weeks ago, just because they have the reputation to be great and because they appeal to me. I get smarter each day as it seems! :crazy:

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
Malkoff dropins? Definite brand loyalty.

Flashlights? Whatever CPF in general considers to be a good thing.

I figure there'll come a day when I'll own pieces from at least five of the "big names" around here.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now, things have evolved once more and I arrived at the customs, we can also call them "little productions". That was really the biggest mistake until now, they really should restrict that part of the Forum... lovecpf

I've seen Henk Lu on the McGizmo threads lately. I too was okay until I saw the photo of a McGizmo and said "That's what I want" and was directed to the Custom B/S/T.

I like to buy Surefires (or the FiveMega versions) because then I can get the P60 drop ins, the retrofits for the twisty tailcaps, the Z58/59 clips, the Ti tail extensions etc..... I don't have a "production" light that is as it came from the manufacturer.

I've also got a "problem" with McGizmos - just so well built - and that goes back to the older Al stuff (27 LT-S and McLuxIII PD-S).

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Being "brand loyal" is a dangerous term as it implies being loyal to a name, to a group, to a manufacturer.

I am a loyal SF and McGizmo customer. I am such for a reason. Those two make the lights I am looking for. I can trust that both provide me with what I want. So I am loyal for a reason. The reason is successful experiences and trust.

However, if something new comes along that looks promising, I'll try it. So far, nothing could dethrone my fav two though.

bernie

recDNA

Flashaholic
Being "brand loyal" is a dangerous term as it implies being loyal to a name, to a group, to a manufacturer.

I am a loyal SF and McGizmo customer. I am such for a reason. Those two make the lights I am looking for. I can trust that both provide me with what I want. So I am loyal for a reason. The reason is successful experiences and trust.

However, if something new comes along that looks promising, I'll try it. So far, nothing could dethrone my fav two though.

bernie

Never tried either due to price. I'd like to try a McGizmo some day though.

hurricane

Newly Enlightened
Great Question!

I'm a quality fanatic. Usually, quality products are more expensive, but I would argue they give you more enjoyment because they're better made and perform better. I often say, I'd rather have one quality piece than 10 cheap pieces. That said, I expect a lot from the product. If I pay $200 for a light, I expect to be able to do almost anything with it [within reason].

I'm generally brand loyal b/c I do a lot of research before I buy an expensive item and, if it lives up to its reputation/my own opinion, I'll buy again. Another thing that influences my decisions [lately] is where it's made. I'm a Canadian and we're not necessarily known for our manufacturing ability so I try to buy from the US or Europe, just b/c I think both those regions produce VERY high quality goods. I'm not interested in and try to avoid products made in Asia ... there just isn't the quality control in those regions. I have plenty of examples kicking around the house that were previously made in the US and are now made in Asia - the difference in quality is, in some cases, appalling.

I used to purchase most of my climbing equipment from Black Diamond Equip. [Based in Utah], they've now moved all their production over to China, and still charge the same prices. They've lost me as a customer; I'm just not ready to buy Chinese climbing equipment.

Surefire - I only have a couple of their lights, but I love the design and utility of their products. I also love what I hear about their customer service. I also respect that their lights/products are designed for military etc. that means they are a tough product ... they're not just designed for dog walking and display shelves. So yes, unless they change their level of quality/reliability or customer service, they have me for life. Another example of this is Cascade Designs in Seattle. They make a ton of products, many of which are made in the US. I returned a leaky Platypus water vessel [probably worth $25] and they sent me a new one inside of a week. Keep it up Cascade Designs and you'll have me for life.

Last edited:

bansuri

Enlightened
Yes!
I have enjoyed the offerings from Liteflux, Ra, and Zebralight and will look for new products from them with a bias that I don't have for other manufacturers. We like what we like. Of course I will have to check out other brands but everyone has their favorites.
In my case brand loyalty may be a misnomer, perhaps brand expectations would be better.

Light Sabre

Enlightened
I don't really have any brand loyalty. I have brands that I have a handful of lights from. Buy whatever looks nice/cool, common battery types, power efficient, doesn't have to be the brightest, clearance lights, etc. Sometimes I will buy one on the spur of the moment. :candle:

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my Fenix L2D/P2D combo sharing the same Q5 head, and I just bought an E01 for a friend.

Having said that, I don't know if I will buy any more Fenixes (except for E01's), as I am starting to build a modest Surefire collection. I'm happy to have stumbled across threads here letting me know about the possibility of using AA's in Surefires. Except for my E2DL, I generally buy 'lower-end' incan SF's for good prices, and then start trying to figure out which Malkoff I want to buy for it. I will probaby be buying 2 or 3 Malkoffs soon, as I don't have any SF malkoff's yet, so the only reason I will be buying them is the legendary word-of-mouth reputation.

On an off-note, I also have a modest collection of Spyderco knives, and I am very loyal to them.

When I think about my own leanings toward brand loyalty, the things I am drawn toward are great design, great build quality, and great customer service.

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a very good question.

Not exactly brand loyalty but it is easier to pull the trigger on brands I own and like. Surefire, Ra, Muyshondt, JetBeam, Quark, Nitecore, Zebralight, and so on. The order I list them in is no coincidence except the first three are really all in first place in my book (I just happen to own more SF than Ra than Muyshondt). The thing is, there are other makers I am planning to support and foresee will continue to do so. The top few are Cool Fall, McGizmo, Scurion, Zylight, First Light USA, Barbolight, etc. So long as the light is distinctive enough, I am happy to consider it for purchase. Some brands are more appropriate for certain purposes but generally I don't really stereotype all that much. In the end I don't think the brand really is that critical. I have avoided Surefires with 'angry blue' tint emitters for example.

A few years ago it was easy to be 'brand loyal' because the choices were more limited. That is no longer the case. There are just too many good brands with attractive offerings to be brand-locked. :broke:

foxtrot29

Enlightened
I have brand loyalty -- albeit to a few different brands in order of loyalty:

#1 - Surefire. This will surprise very few people. My reasoning: Close to no failures, fantastic products and I've been a customer for over 14 years, and the very few times I've needed warranty service (twice) it was hassle free and no charge(broken clip and a broken bezel lens).

#2 - Streamlight. Mostly same reason as above. I prefer the styling and features of a Surefire over Streamlight products, but still -- I <3 Streamlight too.

#3 - Fenix. Never thought I'd buy foreign lights -- but this company has mostly earned my trust through product which I've never had to use the warranty yet, but from the countless stories here they always seem to come through. Sounds like they are trying to build a good name for themselves and they are on the right track. Also great value for price. (Note, I only say "mostly earned my trust". The reasoning behind this is only that I've not used their products for the length of time I've used that of Surefire and Streamlight).

#4 - Nitecore. Don't have too much to say about them. In my mind, mostly in the same boat as Fenix. I've had to replace a switch or two, but service was hassle free and at no cost. Again, not around as long as Surefire or Streamlight, but so far so good.

Any questions? :)

Oh, I'm also partial to Benchmade, Spyderco and Sog for knives. I think in general I just like costly things that are of good quality. lol

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do YOU have a favorite brand or do you try to buy exclusively on the merits you read about in the reviews here or elsewhere?

In general I am probably more brand averse than brand loyal. I frankly could care less about the name on the box. Companies I have experience with get certain expectations, both good and bad, till I get information that's different. Companies that consistently do a good job meeting my needs tend to get a first look and might be classified as favorites. Sometimes I will switch brands just to get something different, even if it's only comparable to, not better, than my favorite brand.

Brand managers probably hate me. :devil:

adnj

Enlightened

bernie

You are in the clear... being brand loyal means that you will "more likely" repurchase even if the competition has more features and/or a lower price. Brand loyalty revolves around how the customer views the company and the product. Features, value and image correlation (think coolness, exclusivity and style) are primary drivers of brand loyalty.

Last edited:

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
BRAND LOYALTY?

Count me in. Jetbeams!! =D

Ok, time to be serious, yes I admit I DO get influenced by brand loyalty, but not blindly.
For example, Jetbeam's runtime/output efficiency isn't the best, I admit it, but that's not what i like best about that brand. And it will be taken into account when I buy it/use it.

We just have to be realistic here.lovecpf

Sometimes I notice that some posters seem to constantly boost Jetbeam, others Liteflux, and MANY swear by SF, or Malkoff or Quark.

I wonder how many of us have a distinct brand loyalty and why?

I confess that while I like to try as many brands as I can afford I always give Fenix the edge if reviews are close. IME the Fenix lights I've owned have nice round wide beams with very bright hotspots. Part of the reason may also be that my favorite supplier carries Fenix and gives a decent discount on Fenix and several other brands. I've also never needed service on any of my Fenix lights.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am very biased towards SureFire because of my personal experiences.

However, I'll be the first to recommend another brand if I feel it's better suited to their needs. I think a lot of respected members do the same here.

dcycleman

Enlightened
Yes I am brand biased, I really like surefire, however I kinda think that they are way over priced, that being said , I still buy em. Do I think Fenix lights are quality torches- sure, olight yup, jetbeam why not. But I spend my dough on surefire.