SSC P7 Strobe

SneakyCyber

Newly Enlightened
After much tinkering with a NE555 timer circuit I finally found someone who makes what I needed to build. Sho-Me makes an LED strobe driver. It is rated 12v at 2amps. My question is, the P7 needs the 2amps but only 3.6 volts according to my LED pro 2.12 calculator I can use a 3k .02 watt resistor and will be safe? Of course I will be heat sinking but only being driven as a strobe and not constant will I have much trouble with overheating?

mds82

Enlightened
After much tinkering with a NE555 timer circuit I finally found someone who makes what I needed to build. Sho-Me makes an LED strobe driver. It is rated 12v at 2amps. My question is, the P7 needs the 2amps but only 3.6 volts according to my LED pro 2.12 calculator I can use a 3k .02 watt resistor and will be safe? Of course I will be heat sinking but only being driven as a strobe and not constant will I have much trouble with overheating?

I have used a similar stobe unit before. Your better off getting a constant current driver and using that instead of the resistor.

SneakyCyber

Newly Enlightened
Do you happen to know where I can get a 3amp constant driver that can handle 12vdc input? Most i have seen are for flashlights and have more than one mode.

LEDobsession

Enlightened
Do you happen to know where I can get a 3amp constant driver that can handle 12vdc input? Most i have seen are for flashlights and have more than one mode.

AMC7135- they will work great for automotive stuff. I hear Der Wichtel also makes some really good drivers. Im not sure if he is still on those, (I havent checked it out for a while) but you can ask him. :thumbsup:

LEDobsession

Enlightened
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/member.php?u=56693@LEDobsession the AMC7135 are 3.6-4.5v, no good for automotive 12v. You could use four 3 watt drivers in parallel. Or if you used a Cree MC-E wired as two pairs paralleled then two 5 watt drivers, one per pair.

The way I have my AMC's set up, I used four of them for eight P7s (at 12-14vdc). 2 AMC's per 4 LEDs. 2 strings of those in parallel. I'm not an Electrical Engineer so I still don't know all of why this worked, I just followed what I was told when I made my light. :thumbsup:

SneakyCyber

Newly Enlightened
Well for budget sake looks like the P7 with driver etc is more than the cost of a strobe set (probably alot brighter though) I will need to rethink my led choice maybe a cree p4 or something. For my intents and purpose using 20 or so cheap led's wouldn't work effectively. I want to use them as discreet hide a strobes in my headlights and reverse lights on my car. I am still open for suggestions if anyone has any.