Firs Mag mod! help me choose

jamie.91

Enlightened
Hey, i just got my first 2D mag in black and its horrible lmao i cant wait to mod it, basically i am overwhelmed by the choices i have

tell me, what was your first mag mod and why ?

Incan or LED im open to suggestions:devil: Basically it needs to be good bang for buck!
Thanks jamie

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
I'm thinking a ROP would be cool. Pretty affordable, and I'd imagine it's a good, easy way to get into incan mag mods. Bright, too.

jamie.91

Enlightened
I'm thinking a ROP would be cool. Pretty affordable, and I'd imagine it's a good, easy way to get into incan mag mods. Bright, too.

thanks for the reply, im a bit of a newbie lol, so how many lumens would i achive from an ROP and roughly how much wold it cost.

also i dont really want to cut it down so what battery config would i need in a 2D mag ?

thanks jamie

JamisonM

Enlightened
How bright do you want to go? You want a light that can fry the corneas at man at a hundred paces or a light or one that will run days on end when the lights go out?

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the mad world of mag modding.

What do you plan to use the torch for?

Do you want a really bright light to impress friends but with a short run time, or a less bright light that will run for a long time and always be ready to use when you want it. Or is it for work? You get the idea.

Do you own a soldring iron and know how to use it?

Do you have access to some tools, saw, cutters etc

There are many questions before you find your answer. I'm not trying to wind you up, just get a better picture of what you are after.

jamie.91

Enlightened
ok thanks for the replies,

lights are an addiction as we know but i class modding as an hobby so this light is just a fun light with no real use but to Wow none flashaholics lol

Runtime is for wussys give me power anyday lol (joke, i do appreciate runtime before i get flamed)

i want plenty power but not rediculous e.g. not overcomplicated and over expensive

i belive anything up to 900 lumens should be enough as at the moment my brightest light is only 250 lumens so i just want something more than that.

oh and also throw is very important and flood i do not want

also yeah i can solder and tools arent a problem ( im new to mag modding but not to modding, i have also built a coupple of lasers aswell) so i have a DMM soldering iron etc

thanks for the replies hope this sheds some light (pun intended)

jamielovecpf

Last edited:

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Roar Of the Pelican will put out 400 lumens on low, 1000+ on high, and 250ish on X-low. I love mine, and find it a great starter mod, what with not needing machine tools. It's a very flexible design, and quite robust* too.

Edit: *by hotwire standards.

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check this thread out.

I think a good first mod might be a 500ma micropuck with a Seoul P4 and a heatsink.

:welcome:

@Gunner12 - I was trying to find your/that thread for ages last night!

I was going to say the same - 500ma micropuck with a Seoul P4 - but he already has a 250 lumens torch, so it wont really impress much.

@jamie.91 - I would go for 3 C cells in the 2D mag Direct drive SSC P7, just be careful you get a higher Vf bin, I got a cheap P7 (unknown bin) from hongkong and it went blue on the fist turn on due to the low Vf bin.

jamie.91

Enlightened
Essexman and Gunner12 thanks for the help!:clap: how many lumens can i expect from this mod ? and will i get some good throw with the right reflector?

is it ok to direct drive ? and whats the difference in a P7 and a P4?

thanks jamie

also could you point me in the direction for parts ? and the right heatsink ?

thanks

Edit: whats with the 2 puks for brighter ?

Last edited:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, i just got my first 2D mag in black and its horrible lmao i cant wait to mod it, basically i am overwhelmed by the choices i have

tell me, what was your first mag mod and why ?

Incan or LED im open to suggestions:devil: Basically it needs to be good bang for buck!
Thanks jamie
Everybody into this hobby should build a ROP.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to agree with all the recommendations for the ROP
I am a pure LED guy and the only torches I have that are
Incan, are my Surefire M6 and my ROP.

With building yourself a ROP your only problem will be
having to buy the bulbs from the US but then again
all the parts needed for the build will be sourced from
overseas ....... that means waiting for everything to be
shipped

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to agree with all the recommendations for the ROP
I am a pure LED guy and the only torches I have that are
Incan, are my Surefire M6 and my ROP.

With building yourself a ROP your only problem will be
having to buy the bulbs from the US but then again
all the parts needed for the build will be sourced from
overseas ....... that means waiting for everything to be
shipped
There are authorized Pelican dealers and distributors in Europe, South America and Asia. Nobody needs to import ROP bulbs from the U.S. :thumbsup:

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
i built an ROP from a 2C.... and now i'm really anoy'd with it... i'm totally going to be changing it over to a single or tri (MC-E/P7) VERY SOON....

jamie.91

Enlightened
WOW thanks for all the relpies!

im still none the wiser lol

i think an ROP is the way to go as everyone seems to recomend it

thanks jamie

DM51

Flashaholic
Can anyone see any text in Howecollc's post above, #19? It looks completely blank to me.