using 2032 batteries in remotes?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have a few remotes I rarely use and storing alkaline or expensive lithium cells in them seems a waste for an occasional use. I was thinking of using 1 or 2 2032 lithium *coin* cells in them (in parallel if more than one). I can get these batteries for about 20 to 40 cents each and not worry about leaking or buying expensive AA/AAA cells. The remote for a portable dvd player uses a 2025 cell in it so which is what gave me the idea.

uberkiller

Newly Enlightened
Hi there, I dont see any reason why it shouldn't work. I would just measure the current draw with the existing AA pack while pushing a button on the remote and make sure it isn't too much. 2032 batteries are used in keychain LED flashlights which has to draw more power than a remote.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
some chinese company could make them for 25 cents each and sell them for $2 and I would buy 5 of them to put in remotes that need to be used occasionally for special function while the universal remotes get most of the heavy use.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Then again, Home Depot has ROV alk AAs @ 9.99 for 60, or around .17/ea. I bought two packages this weekend.

But otherwise, a fine idea.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Then again, Home Depot has ROV alk AAs @ 9.99 for 60, or around .17/ea. I bought two packages this weekend.

But otherwise, a fine idea.

for stuff that is rarely used alkalines are a hazard IMO.... a leak waiting to ruin a $30 remote you use once every few months.... I trust the black/silver/blue ROV the least of all alkalines because I have had some leak in storage unused while the duracell and evereadys haven't done that.

UserName

Newly Enlightened
Don't most name brand alkalines carry a warranty to replace a device damaged by leakage?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Don't most name brand alkalines carry a warranty to replace a device damaged by leakage?
never know how much they will *offer* to replace a hard to find out of production remote and how long and what hassle you will have to go through to get it. You could be waiting months for another remote that you will have to track down on ebay or some website on the internet trying to convince the battery company to reimburse you for the remote and shipping also. I wouldn't count on not losing time and some money in the deal.