K-9 LEO needs a light pulling dogs hir out looking. LOL

Totan325

Newly Enlightened
I have been reading through the post for the last couple of days and I think I just getting more confused I found the Question sheet on the first day of reading but though it should be easy to find what I need. I know there are 3 other sticky threads that deal with LEO lights but they seem to be for the bigger lights. Thanks

0) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?

_x___I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.
____I am in North America. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in South America. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in Europe. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in the Middle East. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in Africa. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in Asia, Japan or Micronesia. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in Australia. More precisely I am in _______________.

1) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____I only want to pay $1-10.
____I can spend $15-30.
____I could spend $40-60.
__x__I am willing to spend $80-$150.
____I have no limit!

2) Format:

__x__I want a flashlight.
____I want a headlamp.
____I want a lantern.
____I want a portable spotlight.

3) Length:

____I don't care.
____1-2 inches. (Keychain sized)
__x__2-6 inches. (Pocket carry)
____4-9 inches. (Holster carry)

4) Width:

____I don't care.
__x__I prefer a long narrow light.
____I prefer a short wide light.

5) What batteries do you want to use? Alkaline batteries are easier to find and less expensive but don't pack as much stored energy and are don't work well in cold temperatures. Lithium batteries have long shelf life (10+ years, great for stored emergency lights) and are not as affected by cold but must be kept dry and are more expensive. Rechargeable start expensive, but if used frequently pay off quickly.

____I want common Alkaline batteries. (AA, AAA, C, D)
__x__I want lithium batteries. (coin cells, CR123, AAA, AA...)
__x__I want a rechargeable system. (an investment, but best for everyday use)

6) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

__x__I want to read a map, or find a light switch, in a dark room. (5-10 lumens)
__x__I want to walk around a generally paved area. (15-20 lumens)
__x__I want to walk unpaved trails. (40 lumens)
__x__I want to do Caving or Search & Rescue operations. (60+ lumens)
____I want to light an entire campground or dazzle an intruder. (100+ lumens)

7) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an "X" on the line below.

Throw (distance)-------------------x---|----------------------Flood/close-up

8) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims (like some LED lights). but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries.

____20 min. (I want the brightest light for brief periods)
____60-240 min. (1-2 hours)
____240-360 min. (4-6 hours)
____360+ min. (More than 6 hours)

9) Durability: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light.)
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood.)
__x__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box.)
__x__Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Self-defense, Survival.)

8) Switch Type:

____I don't care.
____I want a sliding switch. (Stays on until slid back.)
__x__I want a "clickie" switch. (Stays on until pressed again.)
____I want a momentary switch. (Only stays on while held down.)

9) Switch Location:

____I don't care.
____I want a push or sliding switch on the body near the head.
__x__I want a push switch on the back end of the body.
____I want a rotating head switch.
____I want a rotating end-cap switch.
____I want a remote control.

10) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.

____A simple on-off is fine for me.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
__x__I want multiple light levels. (some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a strobe mode. (blinks to show location.)
__x__I want a tactical strobe. (Flashes rapidly to disorient an opponent.)

11) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite?

____I don't care.
__x__I want a metal-bodied light.
____I want a plastic/composite light.

12) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).

____Red (night vision preserving) filter
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________)
__x__Waterproof – how deep: _____________
__x__Non-reflective/dark finish (stealthy/hard to find)
____Polished silver or brightly colored finish (for easy locating)
____Corrosion resistant or hard-anodized finish
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
____Built-in second (or spare) lamp or filament
____Belt/Jacket clip
__x__Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Kobuton/self defense features
____Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

I would like to add a little to this.

13) able to be mounted on rifle it comes with or after market (just a prayer quick release mount) kind of like my M3 I use on my service weapon.
14) remote switch comes with or after market

Ive looked at the M20 & M30 from Olight the Jetbeam and the Fenix but can't seem to see them side buy side in my head. Looking for some help from people that use them day to day. I want to be able to step out of my car walk up to another and shine it inside to see. Then mount it on my long gun go in a house with my K-9 and search. I like the stobe idea because I work in a college town and deal with a lot of drunk kids that need help but not hands on help to get there attention. Plus the long MAG type lights and the leash just are a pain. I probable have forgotten something but it's a start. Thank you again for your input.

sfca

Enlightened
I know the M20 requires you to loosen and tighten the bezel to change modes - so to get to high to strobe you gotta do that once.
To get from strobe back to high you gotta loosen and tighten the bezel from strobe to low to medium to high..that's 3 times correct?

Don't know about the M30.

There was thread by another LEO stuck between the Jetbeam and the Olight here.

Review of Jetbeam with description of user interface farther down.

If you're not in a hurry wait for an almost certain update of the Eagletac T20C2's interface or potentially an update of the Tiablo A7's maligned interface - both of them have strobe.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I first started checking for aftermarket pressure switches and found this one which fits the Fenix TK12, TA20, TA21 and also this one which fits the TK10, TK11, TK20 and TK30.

You can check out the lights at 4sevens under Fenix Lights and see some of the models beamshots here and also search for some reviews here on CPF.

good luck with your search

Totan325

Newly Enlightened
I can't seem to find the TK30 I see the TA30 though. Here is a link to the M30 buy Olight it is just like the M20 but has a strobe switch on the rear.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you should get either a Surefire E2DL or the Viking tactics combo.

http://www.vikingtactics.com/prod_vtac_lightmount.html#

The viking Tactics has a surefire light built for them. It is basically a hand held scoutlight. no dual modes but inexpensive.

The E2DL has dual functions which might suit you better.

both are Hard Annodized Black. which provides a hard coating and is flat black.

if you get the Viking tactics light mount separately you can use it for the E2DL for weapon mounting. Also you can get the Surefire UE07 tailcap and ST07 remote switch so you can remote activate the light.

Last edited:

Totan325

Newly Enlightened
Does any one own the Olight M30 that uses it day to day would like to hear from them. Really thinking about it..

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank-you for filling out the form.
My recommendation Quark, regular model
Regular has a bezel that twists to change from 'bezel loose' channel to 'bezel tight' channel.
In bezel tight, press button once for 'high,' press again for strobe. Quark interface keeps the flashing modes out of the way but also gives you immediate access to it (just 2nd press on tailcap).

Quark has excellent quality, 120 month warentee. You could choose the 2cr123 and use 17670 lithium battery for hours on high (maybe 1.5h on turbo?) search for selfbuilt review quark 2cr123

Surefire - no strobe

Jetbeam is another option - I'd dont' have experience with the military series. I can say the Jet ProST III will fit the bill - 3 modes each of them you set. Easy for you to set 'low, high, strobe' or 'high, strobe,medium'
IMHO it's a very easy light to set the modes. It has many ouput options that you chose from when you are setting it. You chose the frequency (flashrate) of the strobe which is excellent as you can go from disorienting to warning to beacon as you wish.

The iTP series, c7,c8,c9 are variable ouput and instant access to strobe (again, 1/2 press on the reverse clicky). It has a very unique 'infinate output' feature where light ramps up (or down) in intensity when you loosen bezel and you tighten bezel to select it. I just don't see you waiting as the light ramps down (this may be my bias as I found I preferred fixed modes). iTP is made by Olight so they have nice square threading that will last for-ever, well built, and 1/2 the price of Olight or JetBeam

Totan325

Newly Enlightened
I like the JetBeam and the price for the ITP is very good. I looked at the video about the jetbeam on there web site and it looks pretty easy to get your two modes. But I don't know about haveing to mave my hand up to rotate the bezzle inbetween each mode. Thanks for your input Linger. Oh one more thing how does the Jetbeam switch between preeset modes with the button or by twisting?

Last edited:

Totan325

Newly Enlightened
Now two more good options. Only thing Gladius only has on off for each setting. Would be nice to program it like the Ra Clicky. Now its the price on the Ra Clicky. It sounds like it will do what I want thought. Just need to see if there is a remote for it.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited:

Steevo

Newly Enlightened
I am also looking for a light for police use and have been looking into the First Light USA Liberator. Its a little more than you want to spend but I think would be a great light for K9 use. US Border patrol K9 handlers have been issued them. Good luck.

www.first-light-usa.com

Last edited:

Totan325

Newly Enlightened
I know someone who has the first light. It is a bit bulky to me. It works well but the strobe on it isn't that bright.

Totan325

Newly Enlightened
Just spoke with one of the dealers from this site. Gentelman I don't belive there is a light out there that will do what I want. I wanted the same functions from the end cap as I get from the remote is pressure switch. But there in is the problem they perfore kind of the same function but differant. Oh well thanks for all the input. Maybe some day they will have a multi-function pressure switch/remote around.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Novatac has some long-delayed 2009 models that do the switch magic from the tape switch. They don't have the same raw efficiency as the Ra, but they're a strikingly similar design.

sfca

Enlightened
Bingo! I think I'm going to get me one of these now that the price is in line. I don't trade stocks but who knows maybe someone else does.
They got remote pressure switches if I recall correctly.

If you can wait there's a rechargeable model coming out November 1.
I asked for you (and for me) and the cutoff date is the end of December. Shipping is 14 days but don't quote me on that!

Cheers.

- Google the website

Totan325

Newly Enlightened
I have been looking hard and making phone calls but it looks like the Jetbeam Jet-III is going to be the one. It looks like the pressure switch will work the strobe also with it. Only problem is not sure if I can get it all from the one person I see that sells it here in the US.... Oh and there is this Stainless Steel Crenulated Bezels that fits on it to make it that much better looking.