Imalent
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 25678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: 50 inch Reflector "Monster Light"

Default Re: 50 inch Reflector "Monster Light"

I'm planning on some modifications to the Monster soon. Hopefully will get a light beam like the 30 inch Nighthawk:
    Here the Monster is seen before smoothing of the reflector.

IMAGE OF 50 INCH MONSTER REMOVED AS PER MODERATOR NORM'S REQUEST.

The modifications to the Monster will be largely influenced by what I have learned making the Nighthawk. You can see the similarities in the photos below.

Homemade 30 inch Nighthawk artistically painting the sky with intense 1,200 watt HMI lighting.

30 inch Nighthawk ready to paint the sky with artistic homemade lighting.

Beam could be seen seven miles away! In this view, I am a block away opposite the light. Light shining away from me. Lots of cars driving around, could not quite figure out where the light was coming from. We have kind of a weird street set up around here.

Beam a block away.

I'm standing near the bottom of my condominium. The light beam stretches out towards Hillsboro. I was totally surprised at how far I could see the beam! Monster should do better!

30 inch Searchlight shines out over Hillsboro.

Searchlight as seen from seven miles away!

Portland is what is lighting up the clouds in background. Kind of had that UFO look. I should get a similar beam when I put the 1,200 watt bulb in the Monster! It should be a little bit skinnier and go further. Perpendicular beam bounce or close to it, lets light retain more of it's energy. Beam seen over seven miles. Monster should do even better.

Monster on the way.
    Last edited by LightSward; 02-07-2013 at 02:47 AM. Reason: photo Removal as per moderator NORM's request.

Damn, that is so cool

Awesome work bro

Thanks. It has been a lot of work, but fun too! I'm going through many changes in life, such as my sister passing away a few weeks back, so I have been kind of dragging my feet. Things should be back to normal soon.

Sorry about your sis

Buying a Ford Excursion for your lights might cheer you up a little...

Party Re: 50 inch Reflector "Monster Light"

Quote Originally Posted by guiri View Post
    Sorry about your sis

Buying a Ford Excursion for your lights might cheer you up a little...
    Thanks.

Yes, an Excursion would help a lot. having that, I could go for making some even 'bigger' lights.

I want to make a big light that would make a decent beam from a regular 1,000 watt Metal Halide lamp with it's big ole arc chamber!

Well, so how are the finances lately? They don't cost much these days, ESPECIALLY if you get a high mileage one (if you know how to work on them).
    I don't so I got a low mileage truck and never had problems.

Wow! I am new to this site, but I am amazed with the work I have seen so far. I love the reflector, amazing work.

Quote Originally Posted by D3rtyH3rry View Post
    Wow! I am new to this site, but I am amazed with the work I have seen so far. I love the reflector, amazing work.
    Thanks. This is a lot of fun. Half engineered and half: 'just '"get her done'"". I will work on many improvements as time and money permit.

Quote Originally Posted by D3rtyH3rry View Post
    Yep, I'm impressed as hell

Hey LightSward,

I just came across this forum while researching designs for an HMI that I'll use for independent film work. I have a mogul-type 1K that I'm trying to incorporate into a chassis. Your designs have piqued my interest, particularly your enclosed 24-inch.

I see that you're over in Beaverton. I'm over in Lake Oswego. Are you interested in some tell? I'll bring a camera!

Brandt

Cool Re: 50 inch Reflector "Monster Light"

Quote Originally Posted by Brandt View Post
    Hey LightSward,

I just came across this forum while researching designs for an HMI that I'll use for independent film work. I have a mogul-type 1K that I'm trying to incorporate into a chassis. Your designs have piqued my interest, particularly your enclosed 24-inch.

I see that you're over in Beaverton. I'm over in Lake Oswego. Are you interested in some tell? I'll bring a camera!

Brandt
    Sorry I didn't respond earlier...notification feature is not working...

Thanks for compliment. Sounds like a plan. My shop space is going through some transformations, so we will have to improvise a bit for photo shoot.

Send me a PM

LightSward

Hey Lightsward,
    I posted a response to your message a few days after you posted, and now I don't see it online. Sorry about the delay. I wonder if it's awaiting moderator approval.
    Either way, I can't PM you. I need to post a couple more times to unlock these features, and we should be able to set this up.
    Brandt

Cool light. I'd be nervous about visits from the FAA and US Marshals if you inadvertently splashed an aircraft. Does the beam project to altitude? We have several large airports around here so if there's a plane in the sky, it's most likely not at altitude. They arrest more than a couple kids with laser pointers every year.

Quote Originally Posted by CTS View Post
    Cool light. I'd be nervous about visits from the FAA and US Marshals if you inadvertently splashed an aircraft. Does the beam project to altitude? We have several large airports around here so if there's a plane in the sky, it's most likely not at altitude. They arrest more than a couple kids with laser pointers every year.

My Lights are very powerful and do go several miles, easily lighting up a mountain side from that distance. The good news is twofold. First, I have an FAA special phone number taking me directly to flight controllers in any particular area. I've learned that if a Searchlight such as mine is used, under 2,000 watts HMI, the FAA is not all that concerned. The beam from my lights are considered soft and WITH warning. This means, my beam is usually seen long before it 'catches a pilot by surprise", like a laser can.

Lasers are very concentrated and strike without any warning. My beam is noticeable for miles and gives much warning to it's presence, and is not the kind of harsh concentrated light that can cause blindness.
    I've actually watched helicopters and planes circle back around to purposely fly through my beam. They have done this several times and seem to get a "kick" out of this. I had a pilot tell me he did this with another advertising searchlight in Los Angeles area a few years back. He said, searchlight beams are kind of fun to fly through. They can pose a hazard but not usually.

Here is a composition of photos from this past Halloween. I live by an airport, and planes usually fly below my beams, (I only have two or three directions I can point my light with all the trees around here.) Sometimes the planes seem to go out of their way and change course to seemingly fly "on purpose" through the beam. FAA says they have NEVER had a complaint about my lights from any pilots. I am careful not to turn the light directly to an aircraft.

Combined Halloween NightHawk 2012 Pics.

I am selling 30 inch versions of the NightHawk, a scaled down version of the 50 inch Monster as seen below in this CAD generation.

30 inch NightHawk, ready for sale!
    Last edited by LightSward; 12-20-2012 at 01:17 AM. Reason: spelling

Awesome story and pics and now that you are selling them

Lightsward,
    Starting in February, how do your Saturdays look for a photo and perhaps video session? I'm looking forward to seeing these beasts in person!
    Brandt

Quote Originally Posted by Brandt View Post
    Lightsward,
    Starting in February, how do your Saturdays look for a photo and perhaps video session? I'm looking forward to seeing these beasts in person!
    Brandt
    Sounds great. ...My schedule will be much less hectic.

Quote Originally Posted by LightSward View Post
    I've actually watched helicopters and planes circle back around to purposely fly through my beam. They have done this several times and seem to get a "kick" out of this. I had a pilot tell me he did this with another advertising searchlight in Los Angeles area a few years back. He said, searchlight beams are kind of fun to fly through. They can pose a hazard but not usually.
    As long as two pilots don't get that same idea at the same time

A couple years ago I was out west with my wife. Spent several days on various beaches along the California coast. I noticed more than a couple waterfront homes with searchlights- usually one's on elevated ground. With the east and west coasts and the Great Lakes, you'll have a nice market for this product.

You may have already thought of this- or maybe have these skills yourself- If you are planning to sell them, you might consider having an engineer look it over to be certain your components meet the NEMA specs and that your source connections comply with NEC. I would also look into some basic business insurance. Making a product for sale can have some hidden hazards. Especially a product that's electrified and used outdoors. Plus, if the buyer's teenage son blasts the neighbor's kid from 50 feet, you'll definitely get named in the lawsuit.

A good friend recently got sued for the damages related to a worker's injury. The worker was using a machine he was instructed not to use because it was unsafe, and the worker removed lockout devices. My friend had never seen or touched this machine. He got dragged in simply because he is now the local distributor of this brand. The previous distributor had sole this product almost 20 years previous. He got himself dropped from the lawsuit, but it took his insurance company $60K in fees to get it done. He couldn't do any bonded bids for a year- his bonding company froze him pending resolution. He lost about $100k in net as a result. Operating a business sometimes really sucks.

As long as two pilots don't get that same idea at the same time

A couple years ago I was out west with my wife. Spent several days on various beaches along the California coast. I noticed more than a couple waterfront homes with searchlights- usually one's on elevated ground. With the east and west coasts and the Great Lakes, you'll have a nice market for this product.

You may have already thought of this- or maybe have these skills yourself- If you are planning to sell them, you might consider having an engineer look it over to be certain your components meet the NEMA specs and that your source connections comply with NEC. I would also look into some basic business insurance. Making a product for sale can have some hidden hazards. Especially a product that's electrified and used outdoors. Plus, if the buyer's teenage son blasts the neighbor's kid from 50 feet, you'll definitely get named in the lawsuit.

A good friend recently got sued for the damages related to a worker's injury. The worker was using a machine he was instructed not to use because it was unsafe, and the worker removed lockout devices. My friend had never seen or touched this machine. He got dragged in simply because he is now the local distributor of this brand. The previous distributor had sole this product almost 20 years previous. He got himself dropped from the lawsuit, but it took his insurance company $60K in fees to get it done. He couldn't do any bonded bids for a year- his bonding company froze him pending resolution. He lost about $100k in net as a result. Operating a business sometimes really sucks.
    Thanks for the info.

I've been concerned about this for some time. First of all, just to clarify, when I am operating one of my searchlights, I always point away from aircraft when manually operating the searchlights. Second, if the light is "fixed", I don't move it, just leave it aimed in the sky, if aircraft is around. I fly airplanes myself once in a while, (no license yet, just take a flying lesson to pilot airplane and take photos of my house from the air.) There are several small family owned airports around me and I know the owners, I don't want to upset any of them or their customers.. If the light is on a Panning Mechanism, the movement is "predictable" so the pilots know where to avoid it. Never been a problem.

The Lawsuit and legal issues you bring up are a great concern of mine. I have considered several options, such as declaring the light an art-piece and only to be used for art observations. Having the client do the wiring, or hiring a 'certified electrician'. Most of the lights I am considering are using only 120 VAC and will have GFI, positive airflow and heat sensors that immediately shut the light down. I am researching the legal issues...sigh!

The light beam from my lights, comes from a totally homemade reflector.
    I have aimed my light down my three hundred foot private road driveway at our condominium complex. I actually like the "soft" and warm feeling I get standing in the beam. I have one set up over my desk and easy chair, for when the long winter, rainy days get to me. The light is very pleasant, even close up. "Real" reflectors, tend to be 'harsh' and unpleasant to be in. I consider my light an 'art form' and I am an artist, selling some oil and acrylic paintings...so I'm not just bringing up this art stuff as nonsense. I consider the beam in the sky, made by homemade reflector, to be "Art".

Thanks for the info. Let me know if you find anything out. I will get busy looking myself.

Last edited by LightSward; 12-21-2012 at 11:49 PM. Reason: puntuation

The "two at the same time" thing was meant as a joke. But then the more I thought about it, there have been more than a few occasions where two pilots tried to fly in the same spot at the same time.

It's an unfortunate reality of our society that very few people are willing to take responsibility for their own actions. Regardless of what you call it, how you define it or how many various releases of liability you get someone to sign, if something happens, they'll still file against you. You could have absolutely zero culpability in whatever happens and still lose. If you do prevail, it will still cost a stupid sum of money to extricate yourself. At a bare minimum, incorporate- even if it's just a simple LLC.

There's only one real way to not get sued these days and that's to have nothing worth taking.

This has changed now and/or is slowly changing but where I grew up, this would NOT have happened. People didn't just sue everyone in sight

This has changed now and/or is slowly changing but where I grew up, this would NOT have happened. People didn't just sue everyone in sight

Originally Posted by CTS
    The "two at the same time" thing was meant as a joke. But then the more I thought about it, there have been more than a few occasions where two pilots tried to fly in the same spot at the same time.

I knew your comment was a joke, but I do take this serious, as I like to be in the sky too, and not get blinded by a laser. As far as lawsuits, I will sell the searchlight as an art form or expression form, such as book companies that sell psychedelic mushroom growing kits, with actual "spores" to get started, as "freedom of information". Kind of joking here, but some people have suggested selling lights as an art form or item of interest, not to really be used...wink.
    Last edited by LightSward; 12-23-2012 at 12:35 AM.

Happy Near Year 2013!...: 50 inch Monster fans
    Photo of light beam shining away from camera.

Collage shows how 50 inch Monster will approximately look like, art imitating art of NightHawk New Years Eve 2012-13. Photo of Orion Constellation was taken from same spot as view of Light-Beam in photo taken from neighbors home. The art form of Monster and NightHawk searchlights will be on sale at virtual art gallery near you.
    Last edited by LightSward; 01-03-2013 at 12:27 AM. Reason: photos

Awesome bro. I showed your stuff to a cop buddy of mine and he was mightily impressed

He particularly enjoyed the stories about the pilots flying into the lights

Happy New Year to you too and keep up the good work.

Let me know when you're ready to sell these and I'll help you with a website.

George
    Last edited by guiri; 05-21-2013 at 03:54 AM.

Awesome bro. I should your stuff to a cop buddy of mine and he was mightily impressed

He particularly enjoyed the stories about the pilots flying into the lights

Happy New Year to you too and keep up the good work.

Let me know when you're ready to sell these and I'll help you with a website.

George
    Thank you for the kind words. I hope to sell at least the 30 inch NightHawk "Art Sculpture Searchlight", soon. 50 Inch Monster will be getting readied soon as well. Website assist sounds good.

Just let me know but remember, the better the material/pics/text, the better the site.

So you might want to get hold of the guy that I found you in another forum that could
    get great shots in poor lights.

Cool Re: 50 inch Reflector "Monster Light"

Just let me know but remember, the better the material/pics/text, the better the site.

So you might want to get hold of the guy that I found you in another forum that could
    get great shots in poor lights.

Sounds good. I hope to be in a position soon to get this going. (Things have been hectic around here.)

Hectic is good

Quite possibly, this is one of the most awesome threads ever. Thanks LightSward!

After reading this thread I must say that I am very impressed. Well done!

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 25678910111213141516 LastLast