Transmission Flush...Does this make sense?

RH

Enlightened
Hi All,

I recently had the lines replaced that feed the ATF fluid to the radiator for cooling. They said (and billed me for) topping off the ATF fluid and then doing a transmission flush.

Does this make sense? They said that they had to top off the ATF fluid before doing the flush. This doesn't make sense to me. I wouldn't top off my oil before I change it.

Can someone explain this to me or am I being taken advantage of here.

For reference, it is a 2004 Chevy Malibu with 2.2L engine.

Thanks,
Robert

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't know why they did that. I'm not a tranny flush fan myself. In the old days you could change fluid and filter and take the drain plug out of the converter and wala you are done. But somebody in their infinite wisdom decided not to put drain plugs in alot of the converters, so to get all the old fluid out was a problem. I think somebody figured out a way to make some money (as usual) so we have the "flush" system now. While there have been lots of improvements in cars, I don't consider this one of them. I've never had the lines go bad either, sometimes the "cooler" in the radiator will leak though. The cooler in the radiator is a joke as well, it doesn't do much cooling at all. A seperate cooler outside the radiator is much better. I would ask em why they "topped" it off, maybe they will tell you, maybe not.

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Hi All,

I recently had the lines replaced that feed the ATF fluid to the radiator for cooling. They said (and billed me for) topping off the ATF fluid and then doing a transmission flush.

Does this make sense? They said that they had to top off the ATF fluid before doing the flush. This doesn't make sense to me. I wouldn't top off my oil before I change it.

Can someone explain this to me or am I being taken advantage of here.

For reference, it is a 2004 Chevy Malibu with 2.2L engine.

Thanks,
Robert

I don't know Chevy service procedures but have 20 years of service experience with Mercedes and Ford. Typically when the trans cooler lines are replaced it's due to them leaking or seeping. Simply removing these lines to install new ones should not automatically entail a flush, but would require topping off when finished. Yes, it's the same fluid system but a flush is part of regular scheduled service maintenance. The trans cooler lines are separate and beyond regular maintenance and considered a repair.

Now if you had a regular maintenance service due, they may have taken it upon themselves to do a flush at the same time which is a bit more justifiable or at least explainable on their part. With Mercedes we never "flushed" the trans we only drained, removed the pan, inspected, installed a new filter, buttoned it up and filled to the proper fluid level. From that standpoint you shouldn't have to add fluid prior to the repair or "flush." That's typically done afterward and referred to as refilling. If the objection is that they added fluid to your bill, frankly it was going to be necessary after the flush no matter what. In other words even if the information that they added fluid before the flush is inaccurate, perhaps you have a noob service advisor, if they did indeed flushed the trans, it still needed new fluid afterward.

Another scenario for replacing trans cooler lines is that they actually had metal or some other debris partially clogging them. Sometime when a trans goes or isn't serviced for a long time (depending on type) they can distribute metal grindings and worn clutch material throughout the system, including the cooler lines. (I call them lines because it's an industry term, but they're actually high pressure hoses) So, it really depends on what your car went in for (the complaint) and what the technicians found (the cause) and what they had to do to resolve it (the correction).

The last scenario is that they hit you with a "tack on." Some repair facilities take it upon themselves to add service items to increase labor hours. If you simply took the car in for a leak and they found the trans cooler lines to be leaking, then decided to "tack on" a flush without your written or verbal authorization, then that's wrong! If you didn't authorize the flush, even if it was due by time or mileage, then you should ask them to "write off" the unauthorized work or at least the labor, since you do have new fluid. If it's their claim that a flush is in fact necessary when performing the replacement of the trans cooler lines on your model then ask them to prove it to you. This can be done through a review of the "warranty operation codes" for that repair. Tell them you'd like to see if the flush is necessary according the the "labor time guide" or factory "service information bulletins." Yes, even though it may no longer be under warranty, "warranty operation codes" exists for about 95% of any possible repair to your vehicle. When the vehicle goes out of warranty these manufacturer proprietary "codes" (27-1432 for example) are still used as a reference to set the "customer pay" labor times for the repair but it's not uncommon to add 20% (.8 hours to 1.0 hours) since the warranty labor time is often set ridiculously low (the manufacturer doesn't pay the dealer what the job is actually worth).

If your advisor is a noob, young or doesn't know what he's talking about. Ask to speak with the technician who did the work. Sometimes they're far better at explaining legitimate work than a rookie service advisor. If you're still not satisfied ask to speak with the service manager. What ever you do though be polite, calm and friendly. If you decide that the work wasn't necessary and wasn't authorized, you might come to a compromise with them since the net gain to you was something positive...the new fluid. When repair facilities feel like you're being the jerk, not saying that you are, they have ways of making up for their loses the next time you come in.

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flushing the ATF out of the tranny makes sense, just not right after topping it off, or on a 5 year old tranny...unless of course it couldn't just be drained like posted above, shouldn't need more than a drain check and top up.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
did they drop the pan and replace the filter?if not they are just lazy.
sounds like they padded the bill with unauthorised work.you do not need to flush after changing a leaking line.i flush them all the time on mine.....after dropping the pan and replacing the filter,cleaning the magnet,ect.then i unhook the cooler lines,put the supply in a jug,and add at the same rate the running engine pumps it out.no expensive machine needed.