Phoenix Electroforms
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Wave of SunDrop and SunDrop XR-U

Default Re: Fall Waves of SunDrop XR-U available again

ironmace,

The SunDrop XR-U head can be host to a number of LED's. In terms of High CRI, it can be host to either the Nichia 083B as originally offered or host to the Nichia 119. The 119 will output more lumens than the 083B. As for brightest LED though, that would be the Cree XM-L which is not a high CRI LED but certainly bright! If you are willing to accept my guesses on lumens I would go with 60 for the 083B, 90 with the 119 and maybe 180 with the XM-L LED's.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Default Re: Wave of SunDrop and SunDrop XR-U

Hi Don,

Are you accepting orders for a Sundrop with the original head (not xr-u)? Thank you!

~ David

Quote Originally Posted by dstat View Post
    Hi Don,

Are you accepting orders for a Sundrop with the original head (not xr-u)? Thank you!

~ David
    Yes, I can still make these using the 083B Nichia High CRI of which I have a few LED's left.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Thanks Don!

I just sent you an email.

Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    Does anyone have a beam shot of a Sundrop XR-U with a XM-L emitter?
    Here's mine.

That looks great, brando!

Nice work brando!

Before further comments I need to state that at present, I am out of the SunDrop XR-U heads but have more on order.

I checked out the XM-L LED in a XR-U head when I first started working with the LED and fell victim to assessment based on a white wall evaluation of which I simply do know better! It was day time and as soon as I saw the cool center with seemingly brighter and warmer perimeter I just wrote this package off as too artifacty to be of interest as an offering. It wasn't until about a month ago that I decided to see what the XM-L in SunDrop XR-U head would do in real use illumination tasks.

I had been using a mule XM-L in the back yard at night to check on critters and birds sleeping up in the trees. After disturbing a dove with the intensity of spot in a Haiku I switched to using its spill but it was awkward keeping the spot out of play since I never new in advance where a critter might be. The mule was effective by not having an annoying bright spot but its intensity was short of ideal penetrating up through the leaves. Considering the ilumination task at hand and what all I had to work with I figured I'd give the SunDrop XR-U a try and for the heck of it, put the brightest Light Engine I had, in the package. My initial reaction was that I had really blown it by ruling out the SunDrop XR-U XM-L as a viable light configuration. I also felt pretty stupid considering that I had advised others against this combo and based on a white wall evaluation.

I have been carrying the SunDrop XR-U XM-L and really appreciate what it has to offer with its three levels. Most of the time all I need and use is my Sapphire but this SunDrop fills in nicely when I need more light. On high the intensity of beam due to the high flux of the XM-L allows this light to get out there with an impressive range.

Brando,
    I agree with your comments in the linked thread and had planned on offering up my opinion here in this thread but I figured it made sense to wait until I had more of the XR-U heads on hand. Personally and as a designer, there is something very appealing in the simplicity and modularity of a head like the SunDrop XR-U and its versatility in being host to any number of Light Engines. Further, the same can be said of the Mule head and even the strategy of considering the pair much as a photographer would switch from a wide angle lens to a longer focal length as based on need. Exchange of LE from Mule to SunDrop XR-U head is as straight forward as you can get and there are no delicate components or alignments in the mix. Take out the Light Engine which is easy to do and in the case of the Mule or SunDrop and what you are left with is a pretty simple, durable and easy to maintain host. If you don't need the collimation or throw of a reflector then the simplicity here is pretty appealing, IMHO.

Can't waiting the SunDrop XR-U (XM-L LED)
    Nice works
    Sion

Hi guys,
    I do have more of the SunDrop XR-U heads on hand now. For anyone interested, a SunDrop XR-U XM-L light is $445 plus postage.

Hi,

Do you have any more sundrops available? I'm interested in one

Welcome Garbage85

Yes, I can build a SunDrop for you if you wish.

Great,

I'm a total flashlight newb, can you educate me on your flashlight. What are your prices and options? Please email me at Garbage85@aol.com. Thanks in advance!

Mike

All the info you seek is compiled in the stickies here in McGizmo's subforum. The "Available lights, prices, ordering info" thread is a good place to start.

Hi Garbage85,
    I hope nbp's suggestion will work for you.
    At present, I am working with two converters (3V & 6V) which are the core of a light engine and then 4 different LED's (Nichia 083, Nichia 119, Cree XP-g & Cree XM-L) and three battery paks (1xCR123, 2xCR123 & 2xAA) and 5 heads (Mule, SunDrop, SunDrop XR-U, Haiku & Makai).

Although not all components will work together to become a complete and viable light many will and the permutations are quite daunting both for me and anyone interested in a light. The thought of composing an e-mail attempting to coherently describe and detail what is available is simply too overwhelming!!

The differences between the various light combinations can be measured in terms of lux and flux and CRI but ultimately it boils down to very subjective and application specific criteria which I put more faith in the membership here providing and discussing than in my own personal opinions and assessment.

Welcome

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    Hi Garbage85,
    I hope nbp's suggestion will work for you.
    At present, I am working with two converters (3V & 6V) which are the core of a light engine and then 4 different LED's (Nichia 083, Nichia 119, Cree XP-g & Cree XM-L) and three battery paks (1xCR123, 2xCR123 & 2xAA) and 5 heads (Mule, SunDrop, SunDrop XR-U, Haiku & Makai).
    Plus two different style clips, and two different finishes (for the Haiku).

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

I don't know much about flashlight, Im just a casual collector and just instantly fell in love with your flashlight when I saw it in a YouTube video. So Im looking for an edc flashlight powered by a single CR123 battery, with the highest light output. What do you recommend?

Can you make a single double A flashlight as well?

Thanks!

No single AA lights from Don, unfortunately. CR123, 2x123, or 2xAA. That way he can stick with just the two voltage converters. A 1xAA would require different electronics.

If you want a great all-around EDC light from Don, you would most likely be looking for the Haiku, though you certainly ought to have a look at the other heads as well. His XM-L module will be the brightest (total lumen output), though a bit more floody. For similar output but a bit more throw, a Haiku XP-G would be perhaps better. Start by looking at those, and feel free to ask questions in the pertinent stickies. We all like to talk about McGizmos and will help where we can. There are a couple other recent threads from people looking for their first McGs as well that might be helpful.

Links to all Don's current lights found here.

Wow, I've been on many forums, but this is probably the friendliest I've been on. Unlike other forums, everyone is willing to help!

What is the difference between the Sundrop and the Haiku?

What is the lumen rate for the XML module and the xpg?

Wow, I've been on many forums, but this is probably the friendliest I've been on. Unlike other forums, everyone is willing to help!

What is the difference between the Sundrop and the Haiku? And roughly what are the prices for those 2 models

What is the lumen rate for the XML module and the

Some thoughts from members from recent similar threads to get you started:

Here
    Here
    Here
    Here

For specific specs and prices, check the link I posted above which will take you to the individual sales threads for the different lights available.

Thanks for the link nbp!

After a lot of reading, I've concluded to go with the SunDrop. I initially wanted a Haiku, but the light output looks a a lot similar to the Surefire E1B Backup, a flashlight I already own. I want something different so the Sundrop is a perfect candidate.

To my understanding, the Sundrop is excellent for close range use because of the excellent flood. A feature i need in my line of work.

Sooooo how do I order? lol

What is the timeframe to build one of these flashlights?

you'll need to decide if you want the regular or XRU SunDrop, you will know about pricing and how to order on the first page of this thread.
    Also you will have to decide on which emitter you want (Nichia 083, Nichia 119, Cree XP-g & Cree XM-L). The nichias are High CRI and the XPG and XML differ in throw since I believe that XPG throws more "Please correct me if I am wrong guys" while XML has better runtimes and higher output

Wow, I didn't think ordering these like can be so overwhelming. All this flashlight jargon is making my head spin lol

I think Im gonna go with the xru because it is an improved version.

the XML sounds like a good choice. I just want a really good close use flood light. I'm always stocking inventory in my store basement, so what emitter do you guys suggest?

I tried pmimg mcgizmo, but how do i do that!? Lol I couldn't find pm option when I click on his name

take a look at the mule also if you want pure flood, XML is very bright if that's what ur looking for, as for Don, try emailing him.

The XML in the XRU head should be selected only for sheer utility as a light source, and then still I find the XPG much better in this head (producing similar output with a more even beam profile).

I do much much much prefer a Nichia 119 in this head. For anything within a few meters, this is a great solution with both a useful low and good ceiling bounce capabilities as well. More than enough light for 99% of what a flashlight is called upon to DO in real life.

The XML makes a great mule emitter.

obi
    Stay sharp and bright for life.
    Have your knife and light handy at all times.
    Sent from a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.

I'm with Obi. For a lot of close up indoor work within a few meters, the Mule might be the best choice. XM-L rocks in that head if you don't mind cool tinted light.

Thanks for the suggestion guys!

The Mule looks like a fantastic light, but the sapphire lens on the Sundrop just look so damn cool! Lol

I was searching but couldn't really find an answer. Since both are flood lights, what is the difference between the Sundrop and Mule.

Btw does anyone have mcgizmo's E-mail?

Please check the links I provided before. There is some good discussion of the beam patterns of those lights in there. The Mule is excellent for close range pure flood.

I have a Mule with the Nichia 119 and a Haiku XML. Is there a viable use for a Sundrop or would I simply be duplicating efforts here considering the two McGizmo's I already own?

Much appreciated.
    ...and He separated the light from darkness. Check out my lights.

I think the Sundrop is a great close up examination light and better than the mule for stuff like looking in an engine or CPU. It puts more light where you want it. But that head has it's issues if you are a white wall hunter.

Sent from a long time ago...in a galaxy far, far away.
    Stay sharp and bright for life.
    Have your knife and light handy at all times.
    Sent from a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast