Phoenix Electroforms
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Wave of SunDrop and SunDrop XR-U

Default Re: Wave of SunDrop and SunDrop XR-U

Quote Originally Posted by Obijuan Kenobe View Post
    I think the Sundrop is a great close up examination light and better than the mule for stuff like looking in an engine or CPU. It puts more light where you want it. But that head has it's issues if you are a white wall hunter.

Sent from a long time ago...in a galaxy far, far away.

Thanks! Sounds like I'm covered with the mule and haiku, but there may be a preference for the sundrop over one or the other. It feels like having all three lights might be overkill (but I could be easily persuaded).
    ...and He separated the light from darkness. Check out my lights.

Hello Don, email sent last night.

Bill

Come to the dark side Bill.
    McGizmo Haiku Review Mac's Tri EDC Review MY LIGHTS!! McGizmo: Get It, Use It, Love It. Why buy a cheap bright light when a dim expensive one will do?

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    Come to the dark side Bill.
    I did that, and the dark master obliged me. It's on its way. SunDrop XR-U with 083B.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bullzeyebill View Post
    I did that, and the dark master obliged me. It's on its way. SunDrop XR-U with 083B.

Bill
    The force is strong with Master Don.
    McGizmo Haiku Review Mac's Tri EDC Review MY LIGHTS!! McGizmo: Get It, Use It, Love It. Why buy a cheap bright light when a dim expensive one will do?

Flashaholic

I finally got my Sundrop XRU today. Awesome. I also got the high CRI Mule and Sapphire and I am wonderstruck by these lights. I will definitely be getting a Haiku...

Got my SunDrop XR-U today. Getting used to the 3S UI. Beautiful Ti light. AWTYD will be proud of me. LOL.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bullzeyebill View Post
    Got my SunDrop XR-U today. Getting used to the 3S UI. Beautiful Ti light. AWTYD will be proud of me. LOL.

Bill
    Congrats Bill! It may take a bit to get used to the quick clicks if you are used to other UIs. But it is also beautiful in its simplicity. I assume that your light has the new converter, but if it is still the older one, using an RCR123 as opposed to a primary will give you much crisper shifts and eliminate the 'sticking' that sometimes happened with weaker primaries.

I've got the 3S driver, and yes, it does take quick clicks. As a back up plan I ordered a Titanium VME head from Gene, for some flexibility with the McGizmo body.

Bill

But you know that you don't need to 'click' the switch to change levels, right?

obi
    Stay sharp and bright for life.
    Have your knife and light handy at all times.
    Sent from a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.

Click was a bad word choice on my part. Tap might have been better.

Quick click work, also quick taps from off.

Bill

Bill:

I only meant it in the sense that quick taps from the full off position work infinitely better than clicking. I can run through the levels so easy that I have a hard time imagining how anyone wouldn't prefer this UI over all others. I can see why some might like a set order without memory, but the level switching with a clicky switch is silly easy.

obi

Flashaholic*

I'm hoping that someone can help me out. I'm wondering what the beam pattern of the Sundrop XRU is with the Nichia 119 led. Is it similar to the Nichia 083 or the XML ?
    I've had the 083/b leds and I'm happy with that, but not crazy about the XML from the beamshots I've seen. So if anyone could shed some light on this or perhaps post a beamshot if it isn't too much trouble, I would be grateful.
    Chris

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by nystrpr View Post
    I'm hoping that someone can help me out. I'm wondering what the beam pattern of the Sundrop XRU is with the Nichia 119 led. Is it similar to the Nichia 083 or the XML ?
    I've had the 083/b leds and I'm happy with that, but not crazy about the XML from the beamshots I've seen. So if anyone could shed some light on this or perhaps post a beamshot if it isn't too much trouble, I would be grateful.
    I have the XRU XML and swapped a Nichia 119 in to it to try it out. The beam on the XML is very square. The beam with the 119 is much rounder, but you can still see it is slightly squared. The Sundrop with the Nichia in it is quite beautiful, but the XML is very useful because the beam is all flood but will push out there, so to speak because of the higher flux. I can't actually decide which I will use more... Both are great. Hope this helps.

Flashaholic*

Below are some beamshots of the Sundrop XR-U with the Nichia 119 high CRI emitter (the same emitter in the high CRI Haiku and the high CRI Ti Mule). Compared to the 083B emitter, the 119 emitter output is greater, the color temp is a bit warmer, and there is no tobacco corona around the beam. As you can see in the beamshots below, there is a corona around the beam (typical of all Sundrops and more so with the XR-U), but the corona is the same color as the main portion of the beam. Also, the beam is more of a rounded square (like that of the XM-L in the Sundrop XR-U) while the 083B beam is more circular. There are two faint opposing artifacts on the edge that may reflect the actual emitter mount; in reality, they are not very noticeable.

Note that the 119 emitter will NOT work in the regular Sundrop head ... there is not enough clearance for the emitter from the lens to fully seat the LE.

In this first beamshot, the tint is not that yellow (reflects in part the wall I shined it on); very white with a slight rose hue to it

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by persco View Post
    I have the XRU XML and swapped a Nichia 119 in to it to try it out. The beam on the XML is very square. The beam with the 119 is much rounder, but you can still see it is slightly squared. The Sundrop with the Nichia in it is quite beautiful, but the XML is very useful because the beam is all flood but will push out there, so to speak because of the higher flux. I can't actually decide which I will use more... Both are great. Hope this helps.
    Yes, it helps - thanks so much.

Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    Below are some beamshots of the Sundrop XR-U with the Nichia 119 high CRI emitter (the same emitter in the high CRI Haiku and the high CRI Ti Mule). Compared to the 083B emitter, the 119 emitter output is greater, the color temp is a bit warmer, and there is no tobacco corona around the beam. As you can see in the beamshots below, there is a corona around the beam (typical of all Sundrops and more so with the XR-U), but the corona is the same color as the main portion of the beam. Also, the beam is more of a rounded square (like that of the XM-L in the Sundrop XR-U) while the 083B beam is more circular. There are two faint opposing artifacts on the edge that may reflect the actual emitter mount; in reality, they are not very noticeable.

Note that the 119 emitter will NOT work in the regular Sundrop head ... there is not enough clearance for the emitter from the lens to fully seat the LE.

In this first beamshot, the tint is not that yellow (reflects in part the wall I shined it on); very white with a slight rose hue to it

I really appreciate your reply and beamshots. This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks !
    Chris

I have said this before, but the Nichia 119 in the XRU is a great light. In very close applications, these beam variations are much less noticeable.

I think this would be an ideal medical examination light. Only a higher CCT...or a higher lux...WITH a higher CRI rating...could improve this light.

Not much room for improvement.

obi

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    Some thoughts from members from recent similar threads to get you started:

Here
    Here
    Here
    Here

For specific specs and prices, check the link I posted above which will take you to the individual sales threads for the different lights available.
    I am very new to this forum and to high end flashlights in general, and I just wanted to say that you all helped me so much in deciding which McGizmo light I want (to start with, I can already tell it's going to be highly addictive). No I just hope don has it available and i will get it soon I will defenitely be back as soon as I get my light and will kepp coming back here for more information. thanks again!

Default Re: Fall Waves of SunDrop XR-U available again

Does anyone know how many lumens the sundrop 3v puts out?
    I cant find any pics?

Which light engine are you referring to? XP-G, XM-L, Nichia 119?

I dont know? What one is the brightest that takes 1xCR123?
    Maybe you can help. I want a decent thrower good flood small(1xCR123) and Very bright.

If you want a thrower then the sundrop is NOT it. It's a floody beam. That's it, it doesn't matter what LED pu put into it.

Go for a haiku. Seems better suited for your needs.

Haiku XM-L might be a good fit for you if you want a little throw with plenty of flood.

Unenlightened

Hi Don,

E-mail sent.
    but, I maybe too late.

12/30
    Received "XR-U 119ver"
    Thank you Don!
    Last edited by fd3s; 12-30-2012 at 02:53 AM.

Received the head and clip today! As usual many thanks Don!
    Look to the adobe of the devil. For my brothers and I have been there.
    Hell's Half Acre, Vietnam 1965, author unknown

Flashaholic*

eMail sent

Default Wave of SunDrop and SunDrop XR-U

Don, is the Nichia 083B emitter still being offered with the Sundrop? Or is the 119 the default setup now.

The 119 is so much better in terms of efficacy and luminous output that I have phased out the 083B.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Default Wave of SunDrop and SunDrop XR-U

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    The 119 is so much better in terms of efficacy and luminous output that I have phased out the 083B.
    Thanks for clarifying that.