Angryfox        
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 25678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Wave of SunDrop and SunDrop XR-U

Default Re: Wave of SunDrop and SunDrop XR-U

Pretty sure my Sundrop was an 083 version and I loved the perfect circle of light it made. Although I didn't keep it long I think I'll end up with another someday.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    I couldn't tell you which was the "best" beamshape ... because I don't really care about the peripheral beam artifacts (although multi-die emitters, like the MC-E are not an ideal choice due to central beam artifacts)

Best color rendering ... N083
    Best tint ... N119

Note also that the original SunDrop has some substantial differences compared to the more prevalent SD XR-U
    I think you said you preferred 119 over 219, didn't you. If so, could you elaborate on that a bit more, since we talking tints of mcgizmo lights?

Reds are often a more informative test .... SunDrop N119 is a superb barbecue light
    A lot of my BBQ instagram ( @bgbbq_ ) posts are illuminated with my 119v Sundrop, I concur with the quote above.

Quote Originally Posted by ma tumba View Post
    I think you said you preferred 119 over 219, didn't you. If so, could you elaborate on that a bit more, since we talking tints of mcgizmo lights?
    Well, to my knowledge, McGizmo has not used the N219 as a stock emitter to this point.

And, of course, the N119/119v, N219, and most other LEDs, are available in a wide range of flux and tint bins.

That said, the particular N119 emitters used by McGizmo have a very pleasing tint and color rendering for my vision.

Many of the N219 that I have seen in other lights, to me, seem to have an odd and almost "desaturating" quality. Although the tint appears neutral and the colors appear correct, the light appears sort of washed-out and lifeless with no "pop" .... I sometimes think of it as a "neutral gray" light, but that's not exactly it either.

It is not every N219 emitter, however, as I have a Tana TripLED and a Vinz P60-Triple that both provide beautiful bright white light .... I would think that they have used hand-picked and matched emitters, though.

That Vinz P60 dropin, in particular, is one of the very cleanest neutral white lights that I have experienced.

My CCT preference tends more towards the warmer side, and both of those are "cooler" than ideal for me (although the Vinz is likely very near 5000K neutral)
    ... is the archimedes peak

I have two Haikus one with McGs 119 and one with a datiLED 219 LE. I will have to put them side by side to see how I feel about the two compared.

Flashaholic*

Well, to my knowledge, McGizmo has not used the N219 as a stock emitter to this point.

And, of course, the N119/119v, N219, and most other LEDs, are available in a wide range of flux and tint bins.

That said, the particular N119 emitters used by McGizmo have a very pleasing tint and color rendering for my vision.

Many of the N219 that I have seen in other lights, to me, seem to have an odd and almost "desaturating" quality. Although the tint appears neutral and the colors appear correct, the light appears sort of washed-out and lifeless with no "pop" .... I sometimes think of it as a "neutral gray" light, but that's not exactly it either.

It is not every N219 emitter, however, as I have a Tana TripLED and a Vinz P60-Triple that both provide beautiful bright white light .... I would think that they have used hand-picked and matched emitters, though.

That Vinz P60 dropin, in particular, is one of the very cleanest neutral white lights that I have experienced.

My CCT preference tends more towards the warmer side, and both of those are "cooler" than ideal for me (although the Vinz is likely very near 5000K neutral)
    Thank you!

Actually it was Tana who convinced me about neutral nichias while at that time my preferential cct was around 3700K. Tana's triple is still one of my favorite tints, on par with the 083B Sundrop, by the way. Tana thinks that he used 4500K 219B at that time, which he believes have been unsurpassed so far. I will have his 4000K 219B mule soon, so would be able to compare.
    Last edited by ma tumba; 02-28-2017 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    I have two Haikus one with McGs 119 and one with a datiLED 219 LE. I will have to put them side by side to see how I feel about the two compared.
    Still in possession of a 119 Haiku, I'll be looking forward to your report both in terms of output and general appearance.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Flashaholic*

The only difference between the 119 and the 219 of the same generation is the packaging. The 219 should actually be superior to use as it offers DTP so it has better cooling capabilities. And remember there are different binnings of the 219B. If someone tells you they have a 90 CRI 219B it doesn't even mean it is the best 219B. There is exists the R9050 which is 90 CRI min and 50 R9 min. There is also the R9080 which is 90 CRI and 80 R9. The latter will give far superior color.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by staticx57 View Post
    The only difference between the 119 and the 219 of the same generation is the packaging. The 219 should actually be superior to use as it offers DTP so it has better cooling capabilities. And remember there are different binnings of the 219B. If someone tells you they have a 90 CRI 219B it doesn't even mean it is the best 219B. There is exists the R9050 which is 90 CRI min and 50 R9 min. There is also the R9080 which is 90 CRI and 80 R9. The latter will give far superior color.
    I wonder what was R9 for those 083B?

Also I finally took a closer look at those R1-R8 colors and it occured to me that they are all pretty dull ones. The vivid colors that include yellow, red, are not part of the equation, as well as the skin tones (r13,r15). So basically CRI is the ability to accurately reproduce the dull side of the world, rather than the bright one, isn't it? It was kind of revelation to me.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post
    A lot of my BBQ instagram ( @bgbbq_ ) posts are illuminated with my 119v Sundrop, I concur with the quote above.
    ive been on the fence over the sundrop for a very long time. my use will be primarily for outdoor cooking. what made you go with the sundrop over the mule?

I don't think the mule would be bright enough, unless you are cooking in low light. I have used a mule at a campfire cookout, and the wide beam worked great for illuminating the food table! Plus with a High CRI LED, all the food looks good enough to eat!
    SureFire - Quality and brilliance

Quote Originally Posted by tab665 View Post
    ive been on the fence over the sundrop for a very long time. my use will be primarily for outdoor cooking. what made you go with the sundrop over the mule?
    No question on this one. Go for a Sundrop XRU with a Nichia LED and Hive. Provides the most useable light for general tasks like cooking.

eala

Just ordered a SunDrop XR-U with the 119V High CRI. Per Don, it's much brighter and has better color rendition that the 083's.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts after you get it, AWTYD ....

I have had both, and find them rather different.

The N119 is my favorite, however
    ... is the archimedes peak

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts after you get it, AWTYD ....

I have had both, and find them rather different.

The N119 is my favorite, however
    I will report back - I've had a couple of the original 083's in the past and I loved them.

Quote Originally Posted by arewethereyetdad View Post
    Just ordered a SunDrop XR-U with the 119V High CRI. Per Don, it's much brighter and has better color rendition that the 083's.
    HIVE? Or 3S? Love my Sundrop XRU 119v HIVE! It's the ultimate BBQ light.

Brandon, I got the 3S which will let me use either standard or RCR. It's in the mail so I'll let you know but I'm positive I will love it!

Brandon, I got the 3S which will let me use either standard or RCR. It's in the mail so I'll let you know but I'm positive I will love it!
    Yeah man cant go wrong I have a XPG Mule 3S.

I got the 3S which will let me use either standard or RCR. It's in the mail so I'll let you know but I'm positive I will love it!
    There's very little chance that you won't love it!

Flashaholic*

Any chance for a photo of the beam output ? I'm curious how the 119V led plays with the XR-U lens. I do miss my XR-U with the 083.
    Chris

Ceiling basement beam shot, not from a perfect angle, from about six feet:

Above beam shot on high. Needless to say, I freaking love this light. Thank you Don.

Flashaholic*

So it basically makes it look like a narrow TIR optic or Zoomed out aspheric then?

Or if your familiar with the old LiteFlux LF3XT beam with its deep reflector.
    Last edited by FroggyTaco; 04-16-2017 at 03:24 PM.
    Travis

Various Neutral Tinted/Hi CRI Goodness.

The outside edge of the beam is brighter, though it is outside the main visible area. You don't notice it n use.

Yeah, it rounds out the further away you are from the subject. This shot is probably closer to 5.5 feet from the ceiling, so the pattern is exaggerated.

Above beam shot on high. Needless to say, I freaking love this light. Thank you Don.
    Awesome, I love mine too.

Found it! No idea why it ended up where it did, it certainly wasn't a case of "let me put it somewhere safe", more likely I just needed to get it out of the way real quick and then I forgot about it, but I definitely put it there intentionally because there's no way it could've fallen neatly into the spot I found it.

Sundroppers... pardon the noob question: what is your favored/preferred battery type for the XR-U? primaries or rechargeables?
    Last edited by xdayv; 04-22-2017 at 03:24 AM.
    Dave
    "two is one, one is none... three or more is fun."

I prefer rechargeables. But you gotta have the 3S version if you wanna use them.

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, Philadelphia, PA

Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
    Found it! No idea why it ended up where it did, it certainly wasn't a case of "let me put it somewhere safe", more likely I just needed to get it out of the way real quick and then I forgot about it, but I definitely put it there intentionally because there's no way it could've fallen neatly into the spot I found it.
    Thank God you secured it, greatfully relived.
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 25678910111213 LastLast