Klarus
Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast

Thread: Its official. I'm a C2-HA addict..... *part 2*

Default Re: Its official. I'm a C2-HA addict..... *part 2*

What's the difference between a kt1 and. Kt2 when using with a c2 or 3? I know one is labeled as 9v nd the other 6v bu I don't get why this mkes a difference in the head assembly itself?

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower419 View Post
    What's the difference between a kt1 and. Kt2 when using with a c2 or 3? I know one is labeled as 9v nd the other 6v bu I don't get why this mkes a difference in the head assembly itself?
    There's no difference in the head assembly, just the bulb. The KT2 comes with the MN15 lamp assembly, which is very desirable - works great with both 3x CR123 (~7.5v) and 2x LiIon (~7.4v). (I eventually put the MN15 up for sale for $15, NIP, and it sold almost immediately - I guess they are worth more than that.) The LA in the KT1 is only for 2x CR123, so there is no LiIon rechargeable configuration usable with it.
    Last edited by Kestrel; 01-12-2010 at 07:40 PM.
    In the past we have had a light which flickered, in the present we have a light which flames, and in the future there will be a light which shines over all the land and sea.
    - Winston Churchill

Gotcha, Thanks a bunch!

Let me please ask you C2 veterans a question: is it necessary to ever lube the C2's rubber cigar grip ring? If so, what kind of lube---would plain old mineral oil do, or maybe a little Nyogel for o-rings, or....?

Thanks.
    You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, "My God, you're right! I never would've thought of that!" (Dave Barry)

Quote Originally Posted by AFAustin View Post
    Let me please ask you C2 veterans a question: is it necessary to ever lube the C2's rubber cigar grip ring? If so, what kind of lube---would plain old mineral oil do, or maybe a little Nyogel for o-rings, or....?
    I've got a very old C3 (3-flats, serial # 5152) that has seen a fair bit of use and recently bought & sold a much newer C3 - I could discern no difference in the condition of their grip rings. (You can see them both in this post.) I wouldn't worry about it.
    Last edited by Kestrel; 01-12-2010 at 07:37 PM.
    In the past we have had a light which flickered, in the present we have a light which flames, and in the future there will be a light which shines over all the land and sea.
    - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    I've got a very old C3 (3-flats, serial # 5152) that has seen a fair bit of use and recently bought & sold a much newer C3 - I could discern no difference in the condition of their grip rings. (You can see them both in this post.) I wouldn't worry about it.
    Thanks, Kestrel.

Andrew
    You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, "My God, you're right! I never would've thought of that!" (Dave Barry)

Flashaholic

I found this thread after I decided I needed a C2-HA. Unfortunately, reading this thread made me think I needed a C2 even more.

I have four 6Ps and my most used one is getting a lot of character – the paint is wearing. I used a Birchwood Casey Super Black touch-up pen on it, but then I decided “character” is not such a bad thing.

I have a couple of hard anodized lights: two JETBeams, a D-Mini Digital and an Ultrafire C2, so I began wanting a SureFire C2-HA. I was going to get an ElectronGuru’s bored 18650 C2, but I need to save as much money as I can.

I got it today and took a photo of it before I started to mod it.

The first thing I did was mod the tailcap with a McClicky switch. I’ve done it with a 6P Z41 and have since found some aluminum retaining rings so I don’t need to solder the tab onto the switch and remove some of the anodizing on the threads. So that only cost me the $7.60 for the switch from the Sandwich Shoppe. It’s essentially like ElectronGuru’s or Netkidz switch.

I ordered some of tactical hid’s stainless steel bezel rings, which seem a little expensive, but I'm protecting my investment, right?

I was going to put my modded Malkoff M60 in it, but I decided to keep that in the 6P. For now, I’ve put in a DX 17593, Cree R2-WC 0-100% drop-in, which I like because you can make it really low - so low that you can look at the LED without hurting your eyes. I don't need to get it bored for an 18650 battery right away.

When Gene Malkoff offers an XP-G or something (there’s got to be a reason why the M30 and M60 drop-ins have been sold out for so long), I’ll probably be unable to stop myself from getting one.

^ Hey watsup lewong (brianch from flickr) Look like we are working on similar things at the same time. I also just got my first C2-HA. Slapped a DX MC-E drop in but with a custom driver. Getting 2.6-2.8amps on full batteries. Drops to 2.5 eventually and steadies.

I have joined the C2 elitists! Time to get a M2!

Anyways here is my contribution to the thread. I was going to wait for my SS bezel to come in first before I took pictures but I couldn't resist.

Heres where it's all at!

Gosh does this thing run hot. Drop-in starts boiling 1 minute into it. Let's hope it survives.
    Brian C
    I am afraid of the dark

Flashaholic

I thought this would be the best place to post this instead of making a new topic.

Just got my C2 and have two questions: the anodizing of the head is quite different than the body. Both are HA no doubt, but the body is a little lighter with a hint of purple, and the head is darker plain gray. Is this normal?

Second, is it normal for the clip to be able to be shifted left/right quite a bit? I can easily move the open end of the clip back and forth. To explain how much it travels, if you look at the flatened part of the body which the open part of the clip sits in, the travel is a couple mm's past each side of that flat part the clip sits in if that makes sense. I cheched the small plastic wedge which goes under the clip and it seems to be as it should be. Just wondering with about these quesions since it's been a while since I've owned a surefire and I was expecting perfection.
    JetBeam M1X (searchlight) | Surefire C2 Bored with Carley 1794 bulb (pocket rocket) | Surefire M3T-CB with LF HO-M6R (weapon mounted) | JetBeam RRT-0 (EDC)

Quote Originally Posted by TriChrome View Post
    Just got my C2 and have two questions: the anodizing of the head is quite different than the body. Both are HA no doubt, but the body is a little lighter with a hint of purple, and the head is darker plain gray. Is this normal?
    Because of the lack of dye, every batch of HA natural is different and batches seem to last for about 2 months. Here's someone who bought one in December, with the same coloring:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=254983

The batch before that, they were slightly green, the month before that, they were dark dark gray, before that, quite light. Generally, the 3 pieces match pretty well, but the current batch shows all the bezels to be quite dark. To get a different coloring, you'll need to buy one dye'd or wait a few months for the next batch to show up.
    Last edited by ElectronGuru; 01-24-2010 at 11:54 AM.

Flashaholic*

Here's a C2 that everyone would like to take a look at. This is Gene Malkoff C2 that he brought to show his new XPG drop in (no photos of the front)

Link
    Last edited by jp2515; 01-24-2010 at 12:23 AM.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by TriChrome View Post
    I thought this would be the best place to post this instead of making a new topic.

Do you also have a ring just below the bezel on the body like mine?

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink
    Flashaholic or just scared of the dark?
    Nah, just really really nerdy!

Flashaholic

Thanks Dan.

And Dez, mine seems to look nearly identical to yours, ring and all.
    JetBeam M1X (searchlight) | Surefire C2 Bored with Carley 1794 bulb (pocket rocket) | Surefire M3T-CB with LF HO-M6R (weapon mounted) | JetBeam RRT-0 (EDC)

Just went through this entire thread (Parts 1 & 2), looking for photos of what a C3-BK looks like with the M2-BK head/bezel on - saw very few pics of this configuration. Anybody out there who can post a few pics of theirs from a couple of different angles to help me get an idea of it?

Thanks,
    K
    - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    looking for photos of what a C3-BK looks like with the M2-BK head/bezel
    You mean like this?:

Quote Originally Posted by ElectronGuru View Post
    You mean like this?
    LOL, I already saw that photo in your thread. Just hoping to get an idea of various viewing angles, companion lights also in the photo for comparison, or background settings that folks often use here for their photos - more of an 'overall' look if anybody here was happening to be using that particular configuration. Thanks tho.
    Last edited by Kestrel; 02-03-2010 at 12:31 PM.
    - Winston Churchill

Flashaholic

Here's my C2 HA. It has a McClicky, Inox stainless steel lanyard ring with tan pull, and XENO stainless steel tactical bezel. Inside is an AW protected 2600mah 18650 and Nailbender SST-50 WJ bin 500 lumen OTF drop-in at 2.5 amps.

SST-50 goodness

I'm waiting for the FiveMega Bi-Pin adapter to run a CL1794 1,000+ lumen bulb on 2x AW IMR123's, or 2x AW 18500 cells with this JetBeam +1 extender:

Flashaholic*

Man I've been looking for a C2-bk body for what seems like ever.. These are in short supply aren't they?

I can't wait to get my hands on one. They must be great!

Quote Originally Posted by lewong View Post
    I have four 6Ps and my most used one is getting a lot of character – the paint is wearing.
    I enjoyed this part.
    "For every good deed, there is an equal an opposite bad deed."

Classic. Only 80 lumens, c'mon.

Quote Originally Posted by pm91 View Post
    Classic. Only 80 lumens, c'mon.
    Referring to, and meaning what exactly??

^^Click for my beamshots!!^^ My Flashlights

If you think that after viewing this thread there are many people running the 80 lumen lamp in their C2's... hmm

TriChrome, I am jealous of that drop-in, beauty of a light there!

Quote Originally Posted by DimeRazorback View Post
    I understand they measure lumens otf versus at the emitter and that it makes a significant difference, but there are quality lights that put out 220 lumens and even roughly accounting for the measurement differences are probably at 150 lumens (ballpark) which is not quite double the SF lumens amount.
    I'll give SF the #1 quality ranking, and I won't mention price, and I'll give them the #1 "intangible" rank...but still, they just aren't "there" when it comes to lumens compared to other manufacturers even after "adjusting" for the measurement differences. UNLESS, I am WAY OFF in my general calculations - in which case I know someone will tell me.
    I'm not trying to start anything and I would love to buy a SF and be on the SF bandwagon (especially a C2-HA), but I can't justify 80 lumens against 150 lumens (after accounting for measurement differences) which is the primary purpose (creating light).

Let me know...

Thanks,
    p

Quote Originally Posted by DimeRazorback View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by divine View Post
    If you think that after viewing this thread there are many people running the 80 lumen lamp in their C2's...
    DR & divine, this is for you two. I'll be backup.
    Last edited by Kestrel; 02-10-2010 at 11:32 PM.
    - Winston Churchill

Flashaholic

TriChrome, I am jealous of that drop-in, beauty of a light there!
    Thanks man, it's my first true flood light but I'm still seeking the best throw out of a P60 size reflector which is why I'm waiting for the CL1794 to come in; hopefully that will finally make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by pm91 View Post
    I understand they measure lumens otf versus at the emitter and that it makes a significant difference, but there are quality lights that put out 220 lumens and even roughly accounting for the measurement differences are probably at 150 lumens (ballpark) which is not quite double the SF lumens amount.
    I'll give SF the #1 quality ranking, and I won't mention price, and I'll give them the #1 "intangible" rank...but still, they just aren't "there" when it comes to lumens compared to other manufacturers even after "adjusting" for the measurement differences. UNLESS, I am WAY OFF in my general calculations - in which case I know someone will tell me.
    I'm not trying to start anything and I would love to buy a SF and be on the SF bandwagon (especially a C2-HA), but I can't justify 80 lumens against 150 lumens (after accounting for measurement differences) which is the primary purpose (creating light).

Let me know...

Thanks,
    p
    That's easy, you just get something made by someone else that puts out more lumens. Malkoff and Nailbender and Modoo are excellent examples. I don't see many pictures in this thread of the 80 lumen lamp.

I don't own a C2, but I do have an M2 with a BOG Q5 drop in. I removed the factory clip and instead use a NovaTac clip for bezel down carry.

It is a great light. I wish there were newer drop ins available for it, though.

Finally seeing the light - going back to incans!!!!

That's easy, you just get something made by someone else that puts out more lumens. Malkoff and Nailbender and Modoo are excellent examples. I don't see many pictures in this thread of the 80 lumen lamp.
    80 lumens is "stock" for the C2. Since people are swapping out the lamps, it seems evident that a "stock" SF is not able to compete in the lumens arena. Any idea how many lumens you get with a high-output drop-in? How much does something like that cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Brigadier View Post
    It is a great light. I wish there were newer drop ins available for it, though.
    The M2 will take any P60 sized drop in. Contact Nailbender and have him build you an SST50 module; that should breathe new fire into your M2!
    Who the hell would spend $50 on a flashlight? - My Mother

Quote Originally Posted by OfficerCamp View Post
    The M2 will take any P60 sized drop in. Contact Nailbender and have him build you an SST50 module; that should breathe new fire into your M2!
    Really? The drop in that is in my M2 is longer than the P60 in my 6P. I didn't think a normal P60 drop in would fit without rattling around.
    Finally seeing the light - going back to incans!!!!