Which HID should i buy?

SirJMD

Newly Enlightened
I have quite a few LED-flashlights, but i gotta move on! Ive come to the conclusion, that i need a HID flashlight/searchlight. But which?

I have a few requirements:
- At least 1500 lumens.
- Must be rechargeable.
- Dealer should be within EU
- Max cost ex. shipping at about 250 euro.

Ive looked at the G&P GP771 (35W, 3500 lumen) - but i saw some people having problems with them. Those posts were a few years old - are those G&P ok now?

Thanks in advance.

jprince

Newly Enlightened
Look at the Stanley HID 3000 you can't go wrong with this spotlight...it has great turn on no delay what so ever, it has a consistent bright white light fantastic spot with amazing throw. Don't have pictures but there are some on this fourm that are awesome, run time is about 50 mins. for a light of this caliper that is fantastic....I highly recommend this HID and more importantly it is under $100.00 keeps:broke: us under budget!!!!HA

BVH

Flashaholic
The Stanley is a great light - if you can get it shipped to the EU for a reasonable price.

However, realistic run time is about 32 -34 minutes on low and about 28 minutes on high.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Ive looked at the G&P GP771 (35W, 3500 lumen) - but i saw some people having problems with them. Those posts were a few years old - are those G&P ok now?

I've still not heard many good things about G&P. Recently I read a post on one of the airsoft forums about one that stopped working.

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you plan to use it connected to your car, the stanley is the right choice.

The throw and overall brightness is directly comparable with the N30 and L35 hid spotlights. and those costs 3-4 times as much!! with a better battery of course.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
I highly recommend the Stanley HID, however if you are unable to get ahold of one then the SunForce 25 Million Candlepower HID spotlight from NorthernTool is a great alternative, as NorthernTool ships overseas. The SunForce has more throw than the Stanley, but is about twice as large which makes it much less practical and less convenient to carry or store.

Overall I would recommend the Stanley if you can get one, but the SunForce would be an excellent alternative as it too can be powered directly from a 12 volt source using its car adaptor cord, and even though it is large it is very lightweight. The Stanley's runtime is around 30 minutes and the SunForce's runtime is a little over 40 minutes. Both are equally great lights IMO.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
I am not aware that the Guide Gear HID you posted a link to has ever been reviewed here on CPF. However, it is twice the weight of the Stanley HID and much larger, so it will most likely out throw the Stanley.

If you really want to get an HID light with the most throw then just go with the SunForce; the pictures on one website that sells the Guide Gear HID depict its size well, and I can tell its reflector is not nearly as large as the SunForce's reflector, which means it most likely won't throw as well as the SunForce. Plus, the SunForce only weighs around 7 pounds - featherweight for its size!

The Stanley HID3000, Guide Gear HID and SunForce 25 Million Candlepower HID spotlights all have 35 watt metal halide HID lamps, and will all output roughly 3000 lumens.

Last edited:

LOUSYGREATWALLGM

Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies! Got any link to "the stanley" ? ;)

EDIT: Could it be this one? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001U04MEY/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Also found this one: http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Gear®-35W-H-I-D-Spotlight/dp/B001K9J25Y/
As that any good?
Hi SirJMD, if you saw my previous post on this thread regarding the 12 minutes run (low setting) on my Stanley HID... sad to inform you that I got it from Amazon.com a month ago :shakehead
*This light is about 5 lbs (whole package), will cost you a lot to ship the light back for a replacement/return.

Last edited:

SirJMD

Newly Enlightened
Hi SirJMD, if you saw my previous post on this thread regarding the 12 minutes run (low setting) on my Stanley HID... sad to inform you that I got it from Amazon.com a month ago :shakehead
*This light is about 5 lbs (whole package), will cost you a lot to ship the light back for a replacement/return.

Ouch, that wasnt much runtime! What was the problem?

BVH

Flashaholic
Just to be clear, when the Stanley is operating normally with a good battery, Run time on high is about 28-29 minutes and when on low, 32-34 minutes. It will be very difficult to see a difference between low and high so your best bet is to run it on low for the longest run time. When switching from high to low, it slowly ramps down so you really can't see a difference. IIRC, it's the same going from low to high. Do not expect to see an instant difference. This is how it was designed.

Patriot

Flashaholic
The other thing to consider is just replacing the battery if you get a Stanley that's a bit short on run-time. Batteries are inexpensive especially when you think about what the light cost. In other words, it would still be a good deal if it came without a battery.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Ouch, that wasnt much runtime! What was the problem?

As LOUSYGREATWALLGM stated, it was definitely a battery problem. Just about any time you have that kind of problem with a SLA battery powered light, it most likely has something to do with the battery. :)

BTW, +1 to what BVH and Patriot stated.

elugelab

Newly Enlightened
Why not N30?
http://www.batteryjunction.com/n30-3161.html

Sure, batteryjunction is US located, but...

Cheap dollar + shipping + 5% discount with the cpf2006 code = around €150
Even if the customs added their charges, it's still way below your budget.

It's sold out right now, but should be back in stock, in november.

SirJMD

Newly Enlightened
I had some time again to look thru the options, but i still cant decide - mainly because i cant find any dealers in EU.

Why not N30?
http://www.batteryjunction.com/n30-3161.html

Sure, batteryjunction is US located, but...

Cheap dollar + shipping + 5% discount with the cpf2006 code = around €150
Even if the customs added their charges, it's still way below your budget.

It's sold out right now, but should be back in stock, in november.

Ill throw them a mail, and see how much shipping will be. Only downside, is that its the total price + ~35% extra, since its outside EU.

SirJMD

Newly Enlightened
Still no answer from them.. tried to send them another message. Hopefully they will answer.

Could be nice with a flashlight-like, but they seem to be really expensive :(

Latest posts