RMSK, Inc.        
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ti "C" pak for PD's and LunaSols

Default Re: Ti "C" pak for PD's and LunaSols

It sounds like there is possibly something wrong with your flashlight and I can understand why you would assume it is PWM if it is exhibiting that behavior?!?! Feel free to send it in to me for evaluation and possible converter replacement.

EDIT: there have been some odd cases in the past when R123's are powering the light. Some of them have their own circuits which might bepart of the issue but heck if I know what is going on. Does the light behave in the same fashion if you use a primary?
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Here's what I see:

Interestingly, it's easier for me to see it in person than to capture it on-camera; I had to wave it much faster in front of the camera to get this image. On the other hand, I'm extremely sensitive to flicker of any kind, be it a cheap fluorescent bulb or an old TV or those damnable LED taillights that newer cars have. That being said, I don't mind this one, because it flickers so fast that I can't see it unless I intentionally smear the beam across my vision.

Per your request, Don, I tested this with not one but two primaries -- and two AW protected RCR123s, and two Ultrafire unprotected RCR123s, and two Tenergy 3V downconverted RCR123s, and two LiFePO4 RCR123s. All exhibited the exact same PWM. It is possible, I suppose, that there is something wrong with the driver in my light, but I would think it would be getting worse if that were the case, or at least behave worse when under full load. There is no flicker at all under full load, which at least to me says the LED is intentionally PWMed in low mode. However, if you pinky-swear that my light is indeed exhibiting strange behavior compared to others', I'll take your word for it.
    Last edited by fyrstormer; 10-15-2009 at 03:14 PM.

fyrstormer,
    I guess I need to stand corrected. That or I too have one that is abnormal. I never noticed any flickering but I am not that sensitive to these things. I just grabbed a Ti PD-S and can see the broken light streak on low as well. I guess this is something that Wayne changed in the GDx2 compared to the original Wizx2 converter which does not have any PWM evidence in the low mode. I always assumed that the GDx2 followed suit with the Wiz2. I think there might be a combination of lower constant current as well as some off duty cycle going on in these latest converters.

Back to the original comments, to my knowledge, it is still the case that Kilroy carries the current and the contact ring sends a signal to the converter to shift into high level.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Fair enough. I suspected, based on things you'd said about the drivers being black boxes to you, that the designer might have just gone with the easiest way to give you the functionality you wanted without bothering to tell you about an internal design change.

Anyway, my spider sense is still tingling, so I'm going to go ahead and say before someone else chews me out: no, I don't care; yes, I still love my PD-S; no, I'm not trying to be a pain in Don's ass; and I only brought it up in the first place because I knew what I was seeing and I wanted to be sure I knew why I was seeing it.

And now, back to your regularly-scheduled sale.
    Last edited by fyrstormer; 10-15-2009 at 09:13 PM.

Flashaholic*

I had always thought the Ti PD-S used PWM for the low mode because I observed the flickering when I first got it. That's why I thought it might be relatively easy to reprogram the contact ring to signal between 3 modes instead of just a high mode.

But one other thing that I had noticed before was that the flickering on low mode is not as obvious as other lights that clearly use PWM. Maybe due to higher frequency or perhaps it's a mix of CC and duty cycle like you say.

Anyway, I'm still bummed at the prospect of no more PD style lights.

My memory simply sucks but I seem to recall discussions with Wayne about how the efficiency of the LED's improves as you drop in current but only to a certain point. Beyond that, for lower levels, it was better to initiate some PWM.

My C-Pak showed up today. After some quick re-aligning of the switch boot, it was good to go.

I have to say the Lunasol is much nicer to use with the C-Pak. I know the original intention was to have a low mode with a lot of flood for up-close work and then a high mode with some punch to it, but I think the appeal of the PD-Pak in the first place is that pressing harder gets you more of the same, whereas the Lunasol has a distinctly split personality -- the high mode is so much brighter and so much more focused that it's really not useful if all you need is a low mode that's a little brighter.

With the C-Pak, it now behaves much more like two physically separate lights that you can hold in your hand at once -- no blinding myself with a white-hot hotspot a foot away if I instinctively press harder because the low mode isn't bright enough, and no cramping my thumb while scanning the woods for beasties at 3am. Well done.

Now I just need to come up with something to use the PD Pak for. Quick, Don, accidentally order some XR19 heads!

Got the C-pak on Thursday, thanks Don. I just got around to reading this entire thread (a must for me before commenting) and I'm truly saddened that no more Piston Drive lights are coming from your shop. Nitecore's take on it was what snagged me on light collecting (and using . . . the D10 was my EDC before your LS20).

I look forward to at least hearing about the Eclipse . . . unless you plan on making it available to us. In which case I'd be SO in!

Also, the C-pak is great. I still prefer my PD pak but it's so nice to have options on my favorite light.
    Last edited by jblackwood; 11-02-2009 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Missing words.
    It's better to have and not need than need and not have.
    South Florida get-together for anyone who's interested!

Don,

I don't know how important it is to post here in the thread but as per out emails PP was sent on Monday 11-2-2009 for 1-C Pak.

Payment Sent (Unique Transaction ID #0J886864XJ493131W)

Thanks,
    Paul
    "The Constitution says promote the the general welfare not provide welfare." -Allen West-
    To a democrat freedom means freedom from responsibility.

Don,

The C-Pak arrived today. As with all of your other products this is top notch!!!! What else can I say other than..........

Thanks,
    Paul
    "The Constitution says promote the the general welfare not provide welfare." -Allen West-
    To a democrat freedom means freedom from responsibility.

Are these still available? Thanks.
    "Et lux in tenebris lucet"

Quote Originally Posted by KeyGrip View Post
    Are these still available? Thanks.
    Yes. At such time as they are no longer available, I will update this thread and let it be known. Thanks.

Thanks Don. I'm having a difficult time deciding here so I'd like some help from the experts (you folks). I do not own a light that would be compatable with this body. How likely is it that I find a person willing to part with only the head of their LunaSol or PD? It seems like a stretch, but I don't know the custom b/s/t market that well. The alternative is buying a regular C Pak and bulding an Aleph head for it, but that wouldn't give me the same UI. A PD head with a clicky switch makes up my ideal EDC light. Thanks in advance and sorry for the rant. If this is too OT for a sales thread please let me know.

Keygrip,
    No problem with your interest or expressing it here. You might not get the responses you seek though without starting a new thread where more in a position to help you might come across your request. I believe that this is the first component offering beyond complete flashlight I have made in regards to the PD or "x2" based lights. If anything, this offering may have loosened up some orphan PD paks but I would imagine that most "x2" heads out there are not orphan.

Thank you for taking the time to help me out. It's just a $170 gamble. If I find a head (or whole light) then I build one of my ultimate lights and I win. If I don't, I have this fancy titanium paperweight sitting around until I do. And I really don't like having unused equipment sitting around. I'll give it a day and if they're not sold out then I'll make a decision. Thanks again.

There are a few PD lights for sale right now, but they include the PD Paks. That's not really a bad thing though, because it gives you the option to switch back and forth between the PD Pak and the C Pak.

Okay, I'm just gonna go for it. Email sent.

Your best bet is to buy a complete PD light, a "C" pak and then sell the PD pak. In the last year or so, I have never seen a PD head for sale alone.

Before anybody else PMs me with offers, I found a head. Thank you all for your help with this one.

We expect pics for our trouble.

Oh, you'll get them. I'm gonna start a thread.
    Last edited by KeyGrip; 11-16-2009 at 03:45 PM.

Body arrived. Literally jumpy with anticipation for the head to arrive.

Is it a federal offense to jump a USPS employee? The guy is literally sitting in his truck RIGHT OUTSIDE MY HOUSE. Will they let me keep my flashlights in jail?

Anyone have another spare head??

Cannot hurt to ask......

E-mail sent.

Don,

I just bought a LS20, and I am interested in buying one of these Ti C pack, along with (if you still have them) one of the "low pressure" spring for the PD in the LS20.

Still available?

Will
    Please no PM/Visitor Msg's. Email for questions/Paypal: wquiles [at] gmail {dot} com

Quote Originally Posted by wquiles View Post
    Don,

I just bought a LS20, and I am interested in buying one of these Ti C pack, along with (if you still have them) one of the "low pressure" spring for the PD in the LS20.

Still available?

Will
    Hi Will, yes on both accounts.

Don, are you selling the "low pressure spring" seperately? I would be interested in a few if available.

TB,
    I think I made an offer somewhere in one of these threads. If you will send me a SASE and a buck in an envelope with a note of what it's about, I will stick a couple of the springs in the SASE and drop it in the mail box.

After making the offer, I discovered that some people don't know what a SASE is and in one case, I received a buck in an envelope but then I needed to come up with an envelope and the postage to get the springs off to the person.

I'm not game to generate postage labels and supply the shipping envelope on these springs. If someone wants to purchase some number of these springs and then take on the task of redistributing them, fine by me. Say 100 springs for $30 plus postage?

Email sent with fingers crossed, I don't know how this thread eluded me for over a year.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast