Surefire third party LED drop-in

eyeonthewall

Newly Enlightened
Been meaning to buy a third party LED drop in for my G2 and Z2 for a while. Was about to get one when I stumbled upon a bunch of different ones with varying output and modes.

Can anyone here recommend a good, fairly cheap, and bright LED drop in for these two flashlights?

Thanks for your help

Kestrel

Flashaholic
After you go through a few cheap LED drop-ins (that break apart due to poor solder joints, whose real outputs are much less than claimed, etc etc), you might want to just get what you should have bought the first time, the Malkoff M60 for $55 or so. More expensive to start with, but less expensive than purchasing one after trying the 'rest'. Check out Sgt. LED's sigline for his thoughts on the matter. ;)

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't. I don't care for any of the cheap ones, or consider them "good", and wouldn't recommend them to anybody.

www.malkoffdevices.com is where you'll find the highest quality, though some of the most expensive, dropins.
I personally recommend:
Z2-Malkoff M60W
G2-Malkoff M60WLF
Between those two, you can cover just about any practical need.

The only production dropins I will buy besides Malkoffs are made by Dereelight. They make a variety, including single and 3 mode Crees including neutral tints. www.dereelight.com
www.flashlightconnection.com is their dealer here in the US, and great to do business with.
Look in the custom/mods BST forum here, and check out nailbender's thread on P60 dropins. Dave is another great person to deal with, and you can choose from a wide variety of options at an extremely reasonable price.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep in mind that if you go with a high powered LED drop-in, heat-sinking may become an issue in your G2 with its nitrolon bezel.

Last edited:

eyeonthewall

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the advice guys. Although a bit expensive for me, I'll probably be getting the two drop-ins that Owen has suggested.
I go urban exploring a lot and have always needed a flood.
Will the Malkoff M60WF be sufficient in lighting up 30-40 sq ft rooms? It would be exactly what I need.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the G2, get one of the L versions, only because ANY high powered module will eventually burn itself out in a G-series light. The M60's heatsinking is good for about 15 minutes which is fine for intermittent use, but not so much for exploration. An M60L module will give about 3 times the battery life and you never need to worry about reliability. The WLF should be close to ideal, but if you want a little more throw just get a non-flood version. For comparison sake, the WL will have very similar throw to a standard P60, but more "spill" outside the hotspot. The WLF will have about half the usable distance, but an extremely smooth wide beam that lets you see more in that range.

Last edited:

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
nailbender makes some good drop-ins as well

edit: but solarforce dropins are pretty good for the price if you want cheaper but not junk

NE450No2

Enlightened
I have been very happy with the Lumens Factory D26 LED.

And I am an incandescent kind of guy.... mostly.