Uniqe Titanium
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Inexperienced Stupid Knife Question

Default Re: Inexperienced Stupid Knife Question

Quote Originally Posted by kwkarth View Post
    Lux, I think you may be surprised with the edge you can get on those Old Chicago high carbon knives you've got. They take a pretty nice edge for an inexpensive knife.
    WOW, I just found out the coolest thing. Remember this knife from my earlier post? (2 different lighting views)

My wife just told me that her father made it from scratch with some steel used at Electric Boat on the submarines where he worked. I was showing her how it now cuts paper. I never liked using it because it had such a dull edge.

Quote Originally Posted by LuxLuthor View Post
    WOW, I just found out the coolest thing. Remember this knife from my earlier post? (2 different lighting views)

My wife just told me that her father made it from scratch with some steel used at Electric Boat on the submarines where he worked. I was showing her how it now cuts paper. I never liked using it because it had such a dull edge.
    WOW! That really cool! So about what year did he make them? What does your wife think of them now that you've resurrected them?
    “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend, inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” -Groucho Marx
    You never know when you might need a good flashlight!

WOW! That really cool! So about what year did he make them? What does your wife think of them now that you've resurrected them?
    Like all normal people, she's fast asleep. My guess is at least 30+ years ago. When I cut (actually shaved) paper with it, she also didn't know that was remotely possible.

That's pretty nifty. It's nice seeing an old tool brought back to life
    Due to my current schedule being pretty darn hectic, I will not be accepting new modding projects until things settle down.

Like all normal people, she's fast asleep. My guess is at least 30+ years ago. When I cut (actually shaved) paper with it, she also didn't know that was remotely possible.
    They go to bed early up theya in New England don't they! My wife's from New Hampshire and she was in bed by about 9 o'clock. (Normal for her) I usually turn in around midnight give or take an hour or two. We're having the first big wind and rain storm of the season tonight, so I'm up watching the power company up the street work on the transformer that feeds our house.

Lux, I don't care what you say, you're still a cut up!
    “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend, inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” -Groucho Marx

Lux,
    You might be interested in this one:

You can get this from AGRussel for around 60 bux. A fair price for a usable and "pretty" knife. Sports a G10 and white bone handle, nice file work on the back spacer, reasonable steel, engine turned SS pocket clip, etc.

Copy from site:
    Pat and Wes Crawford, custom knifemakers in West Memphis, Arkansas, have produced many successful folder designs for CRKT over the years, many with mid-level blade steels and Zytel® scales. Here's our new idea: let's make a Crawford folder series that is as close to a custom knife as possible, using premium blade steel and natural materials.

Logically, we decided to call it the Natural™ series. Available in two sizes, these are extremely heavy-duty frame-lock folders with our patented* lightning-fast OutBurst™ assisted opening.

The Natural™ 2 7080 is our smaller personal carry size with white bone scales and black G10 bolsters. It has a 3.25" blade, also of polished premium 8Cr13MoV stainless steel.

The stainless steel liners are so thick that this qualifies as a frame-lock folder. The blade can only be called a "Crawford Marauder clip point," with a scalloped top edge and dual ramped Crawford-style thumb studs for opening. Just nudge either thumb stud outward approximately 30°, and the OutBurst mechanism springs the blade open with a satisfying "click."

The stainless steel back spacer receives file work like the finest customs. It also has a removable jeweled stainless steel pocket/gear clip. When it comes to grip, this folder has it all: a good-sized handle, butt pommel, two deep finger choils and thumb friction grooves on the spine.

So here's our bet: If you were walking through a custom knife show, and you picked up any of these Naturals without the CRKT logo, you would think, "Wow, a Crawford custom!" And except for the value price, you'd be pretty darned close.

*U.S. Patent No. 6,834,432
    Specifications
    Blade: Length: 3.25" (83 mm)
    Thickness: 0.15" (3.7 mm)
    Steel: 8Cr13MoV, 58-59 HRC
    Closed: Handle length: 4.38" (111 mm)
    Open: Overall length: 7.63" (194 mm)

Those are rather nice! I'd like it all bone though, or more likely go for one of the wood scaled models.

But who am I fooling? I wont be after anything new the remainder of this year....
    http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/2640/usflaghalfmastmdwht.gif

PBJS

Lux,
    You might be interested in this one:

You can get this from AGRussel for around 60 bux. A fair price for a usable and "pretty" knife. Sports a G10 and white bone handle, nice file work on the back spacer, reasonable steel, engine turned SS pocket clip, etc.

Copy from site:
    WOW...i've not been to CRKTs site for awhile, this is the first i've seen this. it sounds as though it may be a little on the heavy side but i love the profile on that grip. only $60 for that alloy?....that's a "steel".
    CRKTs posting a list of $90. i think the smaller version may have just leapt to the top of my 'shit i don't need but really want' list.

Lux,
    You might be interested in this one
    I missed this update, but snagged the large. Just when I thought I was safe, you suck me right back in.

I'm using the Prankster all the time now. LOL!

I missed this update, but snagged the large. Just when I thought I was safe, you suck me right back in.

I'm using the Prankster all the time now. LOL!
    The prankster is one nice knife.

I think you may find it interesting the difference between the entry level Lone Wolf knives and the CRKT Natural. The LW 45 is the bottom of their line, and the Natural just about the top of the CRKT line, yet the construction quality of the 45 is better, the materials (steel) are better. But the Natural is a really cool looking knife and not bad quality at all.

Yeah, while I only have a few knives, it is very obvious that the LW brand exudes quality....gives a very satisfying experience.

Yeah, while I only have a few knives, it is very obvious that the LW brand exudes quality....gives a very satisfying experience.
    Lux, you need to get a Shun Bob Kramer, not the Meiji, and let me know if it's worth it. The SBK Meiji would be ok too, but the one carried by SurLaTable looks better as it's a direct copy of his custom kitchen knife designs. The Meiji seems to be a melding of the elite sg-2 steel, the Shun Classic handle shape with prettier wood, and some touches from Kramer.

http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/sh...hp?tid/824323/
    Last edited by kwkarth; 11-18-2009 at 03:21 PM.

Lux, you need to get a Shun Bob Kramer, not the Meiji, and let me know if it's worth it. The SBK Meiji would be ok too, but the one carried by SurLaTable looks better as it's a direct copy of his custom kitchen knife designs. The Meiji seems to be a melding of the elite sg-2 steel, the Shun Classic handle shape with prettier wood, and some touches from Kramer.

http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/sh...hp?tid/824323/
    LOL! Where do you find all these things? I'm surprised when I see the lower prices (relative to Meiji) for his knives here. I so love the Ken Onion Kaji Fusion, I can't imagine the Kramer as any better. I do think the Sur La Table looks much nicer than the Meiji though. Both use SG2 core and appear to have 64 layers comparing patterns. Maybe the 6" Chefs ?

Here is yet another version of the KO with SG2, but not the Damascus pattern like the Kaji Fusion.
    Last edited by LuxLuthor; 11-18-2009 at 07:34 PM.

LOL! Where do you find all these things? I'm surprised when I see the lower prices (relative to Meiji) for his knives here. I so love the Ken Onion Kaji Fusion, I can't imagine the Kramer as any better. I do think the Sur La Table looks much nicer than the Meiji though. Both use SG2 core and appear to have 64 layers comparing patterns. Maybe the 6" Chefs ?

Here is yet another version of the KO with SG2, but not the Damascus pattern like the Kaji Fusion.
    I think I'm going to go for the paring knife first. Although I haven't seen the SLT Kramers yet, I would guess that the texturing might be similar on the sides and that does make a big difference in cutting friction so it makes the knife "seem" much sharper, even if it isn't.

Did you buy one of their honing sticks? After talking to Ben at Edge Pro, I can't make sense of the metal stick being able to straighten a bent edge of such a hard SG2 metal alloy. That was his opinion, and why he switched over to finish honing with a very fine grit ceramic rod.

Did you buy one of their honing sticks? After talking to Ben at Edge Pro, I can't make sense of the metal stick being able to straighten a bent edge of such a hard SG2 metal alloy. That was his opinion, and why he switched over to finish honing with a very fine grit ceramic rod.
    Theoretically, as long as the steel of the "steel" is harder than the SG2 steel of the knife, then it should do a good job of straightening the edge roll of the knife.

Having said that, because I personally don't have a "sharpening" steel harder than SG2 that I know of, I picked up a ceramic "steel" about three or four months ago while looking for a better sharpening steel. I have diamond coated steels, but they actually remove metal from the blade, so I only use them to re-set the edge.

Even though a ceramic "steel" also removes metal, it does so at a much finer level and because it is so hard it will effectively straighten the edge.

Well the interesting thing when I watched the DVD that came with the Edge Pro (which a pretty poor VHS copy of a video made long ago--and not as detailed as I would have expected), Ben uses & used to include a fine steel honing rod. At some point, he switched over to a ceramic rod which is what came with the kit.

It was one of the questions I asked him by phone, and like you said, the ceramic is very hard, does take off a very minor amount, but used correctly gives better results even with the Japanese knives. He did not feel the rod Shun sells would effectively be able to straighten SG2 hardness steel.

I don't yet feel confident enough to touch my Shuns with the Edge Pro system.

Lux,
    You might be interested in this one (CRKT The Natural)
    WoW, another superb recommendation. This really is a beauty. So far out of the 6 folders I have bought, only this one and the two LW Prankster & 45 arrived with a hair shaving edge. Others were sharp, but not easy hair shaving sharp.

I love the "Man Grip" this has. Thanks again for helping me spend my money!

WoW, another superb recommendation. This really is a beauty. So far out of the 6 folders I have bought, only this one and the two LW Prankster & 45 arrived with a hair shaving edge. Others were sharp, but not easy hair shaving sharp.

I love the "Man Grip" this has. Thanks again for helping me spend my money!
    Yeah, isn't that grip great? It feels so secure in your hand. They did a nice job, especially for the price point!

Man were the Shun's, & others sharpened with the Edge Pro topics of conversation over Turkey Day. Like when I started this topic, they similarly opened up new realms of awareness that none of the dozen friends/family had about knives. I ran out of Acorn squash and spare potatoes that people could cut.

Hardest thing was making extra careful they were instructed on the scary sharpness, 'one at a time' & not distracted, as the last thing I would have needed was a careless bloody mess. Initially they all wanted to reach for the various knives simultaneously, like they were passing around birthday cards. It was like herding cats.

Man were the Shun's, & others sharpened with the Edge Pro topics of conversation over Turkey Day. Like when I started this topic, they similarly opened up new realms of awareness that none of the dozen friends/family had about knives. I ran out of Acorn squash and spare potatoes that people could cut.

Hardest thing was making extra careful they were instructed on the scary sharpness, 'one at a time' & not distracted, as the last thing I would have needed was a careless bloody mess. Initially they all wanted to reach for the various knives simultaneously, like they were passing around birthday cards. It was like herding cats.
    Glad the day passed with no incidents!!

The Christmas dinner was a lovely tenderloin Beef Wellington that I sliced with the old handmade from Electric Boat high carbon steel knife. It sliced through it wonderfully, and even was able to give some thinner slices for the red meat challenged members. The Edge Pro really made this old family heirloom work like magic.

I ended up getting most of the Ken Onion Kaji Fusion line over the year which are discontinued now. Also love the Kaji Fusion Ultimate Utility 6". Really great knives, just used again at Christmas dinner. Have not needed to sharpen them since I got them, but using the Apex Pro for all others.

Great thread! Haven't read all of it yet but thought I should contribute. I collect Spydies and Kershaws and have Shun Classics for the kitchen.
    Picked up one of these little belt grinders last year. I am quite capable of using just about anything to get a great edge but I found myself spending a lot of time resurrecting badly abused knives for friends and family. This Worksharp lets me do a really good job of reprofiling and is really fast but must be used with a bit of caution.

And a shot or 2 of some of my collection;

In God we trust
    For everyone else we have Smith & Wesson

Nice little belt sander!

I'm continuing to loving using my Edge Pro 2 system, and pick up occasional new knives.