Inexperienced Stupid Knife Question

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I have never bought a "major" knife. I think the only knives I have ever bought was a Swiss Army and a Rapala fishing filet knife. Sometimes I read some posts in this section, and I try to figure how I would use a nice knife. It's hard to imagine having it in my pocket all the time, and I can't imagine using it as a defensive weapon....I'd surely poke my own eye out somehow. I'm more of a run than fight kind of a guy, and have never been in a fight in my life.

Do you guys get them to a large degree as an admiration of the quality/workmanship....almost being like a shelf queen?

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a (extensive? larger then my light collection!) collection of custom, handmade (although use of the term is a controversial one in this area) knives of all types...straight, lockbacks, slipjoints, interframes...the list goes on and on.

I have styles referred to as fighters however I don't ever plan on using any of these as any kind of defensive weapon---hand to hand combat wiith a knife requires specialized training--something of no interest to me.

With all of the knives I have---all possible belt carry in sheaths or pocket carry (folders)--I carry a Swiss Army knife and an expensive small two-blade Congress-style slipjoint with me all of the time--my EDC knives. The Swiss Army knife gets all of the hard use and the Congress, the more precise work so as not to dull it to the point of having to sharpen it. This may seem odd--not wanting to sharpen a knife--however, sharpening significantly reduces the value of a knife just as marring the exterior of a light will reduce its value. Much better to buy a $50-$100 knife if you want to use it on a daily basis and never have any intention of selling it as a collector.

All that being said, I do carry a rather large lockback (folder) in a custom case on my frequent hikes--I guess as some last ditch form of protection--along with a stout 6 foot bamboo shaft--the bamboo being of much better protection if you ask me. The knife is a $500+ knife so, anyone wanting a piece of me might well rather swipe my knife rather than a few bucks I might be carrying in the woods!

I have collected knives primarily to admire the fine workmanship of the many, MANY builders of knives.

Karl

Bloodnut

Newly Enlightened
I imagine that you can understand how a light can a sort of extension of one's personality and how one derives a bit of satisfaction from the use of same. Knives are sort of the same. Think of it this way: cheap knife vs. good knife is the same as stock Mag Light vs. Mag Light w/ Malkoff drop-in. And yes, there is a pride of ownership factor as well.

Fact of the matter is that the knife is probably the second oldest tool (hammer i.e., rock being the oldest). It simply makes sense to carry one day in, day out; both for convenience and emergency use. Having carried one daily all of my adult life, I can't imagine walking out my front door without a blade on me.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me its basically its like my sig line says. Certainly there is appreciation of workmanship and quality with high end stuff. There is also the feeling of having a really good tool in your hand when you need it.

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of mine I have as users, others as shelf queens.

Funnily enough, my XM-18 (easily the most expensive in my collection) is my hard-use knife. I can admire the work that went into its design and construction, and quite happily use it for the harder tasks that I have.

I suppose a viable comparison would be my LS20. I can admire all the work that went into its design and construction, and still happily use it, despite the fact that it's the most expensive item I carry, barring my laptop.

kwkarth

Enlightened
I have never bought a "major" knife. I think the only knives I have ever bought was a Swiss Army and a Rapala fishing filet knife. Sometimes I read some posts in this section, and I try to figure how I would use a nice knife. It's hard to imagine having it in my pocket all the time, and I can't imagine using it as a defensive weapon....I'd surely poke my own eye out somehow. I'm more of a run than fight kind of a guy, and have never been in a fight in my life.

Do you guys get them to a large degree as an admiration of the quality/workmanship....almost being like a shelf queen?

I guess it depends upon what you mean by "major" or "nice" knives. For me, I admire the engineering, art and craftsmanship of every knife I own, and I have more than a few. I like to carry a small knife with me everywhere and I find uses for the small Swiss army pocket knife I EDC many times every day. Along with the small pocket knife I also carry a Leatherman Skeletool pretty much everywhere, and use it for any task at hand.

I also have several pocket knives that are works of art, made out of materials such as ZDP-189 blade steel or fine Damascus with ZDP-189 core, wooly mammoth bone, iron wood, fossilized walrus ivory, or other "artsy" scales, mokame frame, niobium frame, and the like. These knives are so precisely crafted, like a fine swiss watch. I often carry one of them, but I use them very gingerly/carefully, so as not to mark them up in any way.

I have a number of Tactical knives that are again, very finely crafted, and I admire them for the craftsmanship and engineering.

Interestingly, there are some very close business ties between some of the Tactical and some of the "artsy" knife companies.

Anyway, just as you can't carry more than a couple of flashlights at once, the same is true of pocket knives, so when they're not being enjoyed on my person, they make a great collection which can be admired as such.

gollum

Enlightened
wow :popcorn:

I think everyone has answered here to cover just about all facets of knife ownership

as a Knifemaker and collector and carrier
I relate to all these answers

I'm glad to see TH232 uses a high quality knife that many ppl keep as a safe queen... good on ya mate :wave:

I have many knives that vary from cheap to very expensive ($1000+)

all knives get use by me but the dearer they get the more care I take with regard to potential damage, mainly scratches
you do not start chopping a chunk of hardwood with a unique custom folder ...you use your camp knife or an axe etc

and most people have a decent keychain or pocketknife for all the general stuff,cutting boxes,open letters etc
and then a really nice backup

if you let any knife sit in storage for too long it might get rusty or mouldy so it is always wise to circulate all your knives occasionally

this is all very similar to our edc flashlights
we all have favourites
we all use certain ones for certain jobs etc

I recommend this if you want to buy knives...
don't waste money on cheap stuff

a factory made knife with quality steel and good materials can be had for little more than $100
$200-300 will get you a very good knife that will last years and be a pleasure to use
after that you're starting to get choices in quality custom made territory and the sky is the limit there

EV_007

Enlightened
Agreed, owning a good quality knife (And light) give peace of mind and pride I guess.

Like flashlights, knives can get ridiculously expensive while giving diminishing returns after a certain price point.

Like flashlights, less favored knives tend to become shelf queens as you collect more.

My Sebanza gets used almost everyday. The light weight and quality has never failed me, yet.

I' not a knife fighter, but my Emerson CQC10 backs up my "defense" carry package.

Gatsby

Enlightened
I have almost always carried a pocket knife. My dad carried one daily and I just assumed it was part of what a gentleman kept with him. My dad loved flashlights and kept a host of Mags in handy spots but given the relative lack of true pocket lights he didn't pocket one daily.

What I carry is a bit different - I have been moving a bit toward fewer but higher quality items in my EDC. I currently have 4 Spydercos, 1 Benchmade and a few SAKs (alox classic on my key ring and alox Cadet that I do EDC, Spartan which is in my desk at work and gets apple slicing duty, and Camper which my father gave to me years ago and which I'm saving for my son). There is still some redundancy - I have a Spyderco Navigator which is my small knife, but the other Spydercos and Benchmade all fall into the roughly 3" blade size which is my favorite for most daily carry.

I admit that I don't use my nicest knife, a Spyderco Sage 2, to chop wood and relatively speaking treat it somewhat gingerly - or at least don't abuse it and wipe the blade after use, etc... I do carry it regularly and open the mail, open packages, etc... with it like I do most of my EDC knives. None are really shelf queens but I have to admit that until they get a bit of "wear" on them I do tend to baby them a little. That first mark is sometimes a good thing as I'll stop treating it with kid gloves.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I appritiate the quality/workmanship, but don't collect anything (mostly). I won't buy something I won't use, and if something I have is not getting used it'll be sold.

kwkarth

Enlightened
I appritiate the quality/workmanship, but don't collect anything (mostly). I won't buy something I won't use, and if something I have is not getting used it'll be sold.

You're the smart one here. :)

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
How long are the knives that you guys always carry in your pockets? I'm trying to think how much I would use it during my day...and if it wears a hole in your pocket. Certainly being outside hiking/camping it would be essential. I'm still thinking about them. It's probably one of those things that once you have it you see more of a value in it. Not sure what model, length is most "practical."

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Knife is just like a flashlight for me. Have at least 1 of each with you all the time.
They can be a tool, a toy, or a piece you just have so you can admire it close up.

I think a blade length of 2-3 inches is good for general carry and when doing something specialized like camping or hunting the sky's the limit really, carry as big as you are comfortable with.

Defensive weapon? If you try it you will both end up cut most likley. Getting stabbed hurts, every time. I'm at 3 so far. :ohgeez:Personally I think it's faster and safer to leave the blade in your pocket and go at it with your hands. If he's already got a knife out you are in real trouble if you try to go for yours and fumble the draw in any tiny way. If it's a real concern go and get instructed in taking a knife away from someone. You'll still get probably get cut but not so much.:rolleyes:
Hey if running has worked for you this long, don't change - it's a good strategy. Just because a knife is sold as a particular style doesn't mean anything, it all in how you use it. My Strider butters a biscuit pretty well and could cut somebody if I need it to but I'd rather not try it with a folder no matter how tough or combat styled it is.

1 more thing, it's 4:30 AM and opinions vary~! :cool:

Last edited:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
How long are the knives that you guys always carry in your pockets? I'm trying to think how much I would use it during my day...and if it wears a hole in your pocket. Certainly being outside hiking/camping it would be essential. I'm still thinking about them. It's probably one of those things that once you have it you see more of a value in it. Not sure what model, length is most "practical."

I used to carry a 3 inch blade but have recently been carrying a blade under 2 inches for day to day use. I pocket carry my knife and light so I have been trying smaller sizes.

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
Variable, but usually within the 3" range, +/-0.5". Knife clips are about the same as flashlight clips, so I'm getting some wear near the pocket's edge.

Of course, if I'm carrying a small FB (thanks Gollum!) then clip wear isn't an issue at all.:D

Last edited:

Fulgeo

Enlightened
LuxLuthor,

I have had a knife in my pocket since 4th grade. I am of the era where it was not a big deal. Heck before 9/11 I flew from Michigan to Costa Rica and back with a 2.5" knife in my pocket. I have one well worn 3" flat full stainless steel lock blade that I have owned 25+ years that likely as not you will find in my pocket. When you buy a lock blade try to handle it before the purchase. Open the blade and with the blade locked in position grab the blade and see how much movement it has side to side. Check how loose it is. Not up and down like against the cutting edge but 90 degrees from the edge if you follow me. Some expensive knifes are "loose" and some inexpensive knifes are tight. Some knifes loosen up as they age. I was lucky in finding a knife 25 years ago that is still tight and it was not an expensive knife. Also be aware that just about all pocket knifes these days are made from 440 Stainless Steel. Its pretty, extremely resistant to oxidation, easy to fashion a blade from and does not hold an edge well. Its a good enough metal for a pocket knife but an old high carbon steel blade holds a superior edge in comparison. Those old boy scout knifes where high carbon steel and they held one heck of an edge. Last issue, you should do a little research in you state and read up on the knife carry laws. In Michigan you can carry a "folder" single edged blade of 3" or less length. It can not be of the "assist" self opening variety. The police in my state used to take and open your blade up and put the blade in the palm of their hand up near the base of their fingers. If it was longer than their palm you could be in trouble. Do not ask me how I know this.:rolleyes: I always have a pocket knife and very small lighter on me when I leave my house and enter the world. I do not smoke but "being prepared" is the motto.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
A knife is what you use to rip / cut open your flashlight packages. How can you be a real flashaholic without one? :D
Seriously I've had a pocket knife of some sort for probably over 50 years. You will want to check your state knife laws if you are considering EDC'ing one as they differ quite a lot from state to state. I have carried a Benchmade Ritter griptilian for several years and it's fairly easy on the pocket (clipped inside) and probably use it 40 times a day (more now as I'm building a house) but I can't imagine not having this tool. BTW the Forbes list of top tools of all time (or something similar) listed the knife as the number one tool. I think Benchmades are a great starting place. I've got others including a Strider, Emerson and others. While Emerson and Spyderco's have a big fan base I really don't care for either of those brands. Strider however is a knife you know is a tool that will survive about anything. Just beware that if you think flashlights are a wallet drain you ain't seen nothin' yet if you get into knives :broke:

Jethro

Newly Enlightened
It's hard to imagine having it in my pocket all the time, and I can't imagine using it as a defensive weapon....I'd surely poke my own eye out somehow.

LOL, you aren't a real "knife guy" until you deep cut yourself with a very sharp, high quality knife! I almost took my own pinky off with a new Spyderco Harpie back in the day.

I used to be that way, buying knives for the engineering, design... beauty. Now-a-days I use them mostly as tools. The only knifes I carry daily are a Leatherman Charge Ti and a Stanley razor knife. Both nothing to defend with, but useful for me. I would never use a knife as a weapon unless it's kill or be killed. I've never had to resort to that as it never get's past the hand to hand phase.