NiteFighter
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Inexperienced Stupid Knife Question

Default Re: Inexperienced Stupid Knife Question

Quote Originally Posted by LuxLuthor View Post
    I like the idea of a pointed blade, and that last one is a great looking model. I'm gonna order that one. Thanks guys very much for your expertise.

Oh one last thing....knowing nothing about sharpening....what is your advice regarding this knife?

LOL....one more thing...going to that link I'm immediately drawn to that Defender 154 knife of the year, even at twice the price. I don't know the benefits between the two on a practical basis.
    Sharpeners, here's a good one for light touch up;
    http://www.amazon.com/Smiths-Abrasiv...5311697&sr=8-5

http://smithsedge.com/products/product.asp?id=8
    “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend, inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” -Groucho Marx
    You never know when you might need a good flashlight!

Quote Originally Posted by Th232 View Post
    Variable, but usually within the 3" range, +/-0.5". Knife clips are about the same as flashlight clips, so I'm getting some wear near the pocket's edge.

Of course, if I'm carrying a small FB (thanks Gollum!) then clip wear isn't an issue at all.

thanks mate

I think the small fixed blade is the most overlooked edc

if its small enough to carry comfortably then it is a great option

or extreme fixed blade edc (joke)

I STILL need a small fixed.

I dunno, it's weird but I like to carry one to slice and peel fruit. I got a whole bunch of Macintosh apples last week that had really thick skin. It made me glad I carry my Spyderco Salt 1 around. Far as I'm concerned it's the ultimate edc I like that it is innocuous (rounded tip, 3in blade) its slim and light and has a great clip, plus virtually no maintenance with the H1 steel. I've been thinking of getting a knife with titanium handles for something a bit dressier lately. Carry what you like. I wouldn't really think to much about defensive use. That's a bit of a Hollywood cliche. Chances are if someone else is going to mug you with a knife theirs will already be out and open. If you ask me you're better off running if it's an option, rather than engaging in a "knife fight". Most places the law sees it that way too.
    Don't get me wrong I still have a few auto's I keep mainly for the fun/cool factor. But I typically don't carry them.
    Last edited by RyanA; 10-11-2009 at 09:23 PM.
    siamo il rumore

I ordered that LW-45 model from AG Russel, and the sharpener from Amazon. Thanks again!

Flashaholic*

I ordered that LW-45 model from AG Russel, and the sharpener from Amazon. Thanks again!
    LOL....and So It begins.

I used to collect knives....lots.....(99% folding pocket knives) before I started ( heavily) on flashlights ....I still have some good ones...But I dont have the same hunger for them anymore....I was always hunting for the perfect EDC...I dont think I ever found it...yet, but I have come close.

I carry a knife with me almost everyday...( sometimes more than one) but that is not as crazy as it sounds. I'm no knife fighter, haven't ever been......despite being in fights, whilst having knives in my pockets, I never, Ever, even considerd using it...never even thought about it.

I carry because I need & use them; that & I think a gentlemen should have a small pocket knife about their person, & be skilled and able to use it.

We are in a prepacked society today, so a pocket knives are used less than they were, but I would be lost without one.

Living in the UK we are restricted by laws...but fairly sensible knife carry/ use if you ask me. there are still a few good choices to be had... I used to carry a locking folder as my work required it.

I tended to go towards the "harder use knives" as I would use them for tasks that knives shoulden't be used for...Why...because I'm not a purist, and there is something staisfying about completing a multitude of tasks with just a pocket knife, just today I used my pocket knife to fix 3 little niggly little problems on my car whilst it was getting a thourough cleaning, and I only used it to cut once.
    Last edited by Raoul_Duke; 10-12-2009 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol View Post
    Knives and fire are what separate us from the animals.
    What separates us from the animals is superstition and meaningless rituals.

I don't get the no locking knives in England thing. I think that would potentially cause more injuries. I remember fixing some desks in art class in high school with an old Swiss army knife and darn near hacking my index finger off when I pressed down on the screwdriver blade. It bled like crazy, I've still got the scar and a little divot in my finger.
    siamo il rumore

Quote Originally Posted by Raoul_Duke View Post
    LOL....and So It begins. .
    Noooooo.....it can't be like the flashlight bug. I can just buy this one and appreciate it, and not feel the need to buy any more, right? Please say yes even if it is a lie. I'll try wearing my

There aren't any laws that prohibit defensive violence, but that violence must be reasonable under the circumstances. A knife would require realistic threat of serious injury to justify it's use.

Here are two real life San Diego examples of justified knife use:

A gang attacks a woman, presumably to rape her. She stabs one in the leg, and he bleeds to death, if I recall. The others run away. No prosecution.

A pair of robbers in a car pull up to an older man walking on the sidewalk and one gets out with a handgun, demanding money. The victim stabs the gunman and he drops his gun. The driver shoots at the victim but misses. The victim picks up the handgun and returns fire, killing the first robber. No prosecution.

Women and older folks in general usually don't get into much trouble for self defense.
    As it should be IMO, but you or me now that's another story.

Correct, the threshhold for reasonable violence--especially with a knife--is highest for healthy men between 16 and about 60 years old.

Here's a real life counter example (again from San Diego):

A guy in his 20's enters a bar/restaurant and picks an argument with another similar guy and his wife/girlfriend. He's thrown out by the restaurant staff. He waits in the parking lot and accosts the couple as they leave. There is a fight, starting unarmed, but the solo guy begins losing and pulls a knife and kills the other. He claims self defense. Prosecuted for murder.

Both men are reportedly mixed martial arts practitioners. The "winner" of the fight is heavily tattooed, with a large tattoo of a blue hand on his face. He wasn't seriously injured in the fight. I haven't heard any resolution, so I presume he pled guilty, or it is still working through the system.

Flashaholic*

Yes....

You can just buy one. ( it's just which one is 'the One'?)

I sent you a PM on the Most popular 'one'....or maybee it was two of three

Noooooo.....it can't be like the flashlight bug. I can just buy this one and appreciate it, and not feel the need to buy any more, right? Please say yes even if it is a lie. I'll try wearing my

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by RyanA View Post
    I don't get the no locking knives in England thing. I think that would potentially cause more injuries. I remember fixing some desks in art class in high school with an old Swiss army knife and darn near hacking my index finger off when I pressed down on the screwdriver blade. It bled like crazy, I've still got the scar and a little divot in my finger.
    In short it was a case law thing....we used to be able to have a 3" or less locking folder....then one cocky guy went to court and the judge ruled that his 3" locker was a fixed blade...Wrong interpretation of the guidelines behind the legislation...but it set a precident....So now its non lockers unless you have a good reason...no higher court or court of apeal will ever go back.

MuHaHaHa Sorry about your wallet bro.
    Last edited by kwkarth; 10-13-2009 at 06:24 AM.
    “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend, inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” -Groucho Marx

LOL. Lux wait until the next best "gotta have it" steel comes out.
    siamo il rumore

The Spyderco Sharpmaker is great for maintaining your edge.
    I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Lux,
    You need to read up on knife sharpening before you start messing around much with the edge. The Sharpener you already bought should keep you in good stead until you're ready to move on. Many good manufacturers will re-sharpen your knife for little to no fee, other than postage both ways. Just call them and ask.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Oddjob View Post
    The Spyderco Sharpmaker is great for maintaining your edge.
    Its certanly not a bad sharpener...but still takes a little bit of skill...or more than that patience...I hate slipping of the end and dulling the tip. It works alot better with clean rods ( have to keep re cleaning if doing a reprofiling job....I have the ultra fine rods aswell that help.

I prefer the Edgepro (Apex though havent used or seen the 'Pro' but id like one....but they are both a bit more spendy...Still worth it if you want all your knives inc kitchen etc to cut like a frickin laser beam

Flashaholic

How long are the knives that you guys always carry in your pockets? I'm trying to think how much I would use it during my day...and if it wears a hole in your pocket. Certainly being outside hiking/camping it would be essential. I'm still thinking about them. It's probably one of those things that once you have it you see more of a value in it. Not sure what model, length is most "practical."
    My current EDC includes:
    - Boker Trance (slightly less than 3" blade)
    - Letherman squirt S4 multi-tool with a 1-3/8" blade
    - Photon Micro Light
    - iTP C7T

I'm looking for a Spyderco Endura (4" blade) to potentially replace the Boker. Part of the consideration for a pocket knife is something that is thin enough to be comfortable and smooth enough to not wear holes in pockets (but not so smooth I cannot hold on to it ).

I used to limit myself to things the size of the squirt multi-tool or smaller, but I find the larger knives give me a much better grip and easier deployment for all kinds of everyday tasks (opening mail, opening plastic bags of all kinds of stuff, removing stray threads, ...). Most larger knives are designed to be opened with one hand which I find pretty handy. (Is that a pun? I hope that's a pun. I love puns. ) I think (hope?) this daily familiarity with a blade on the large side of 'pocketable' may work to my favor in the extremely rare chance I need a defensive weapon (and I do have some training as a peace officer -- a few years ago in a different state).

It's just another tool that should fit your needs. You don't EDC a USL; neither should you EDC a machete. Some cities or states don't like anything over a certain length so you adjust your EDC accordingly. Neither do you try to carry a beautiful custom flashlight with an aggressive strike bezel on an airplane. The tool should be useful and fit your needs, including not getting locked up for being prepared. But you knew that.

I missed this thread until today but just wanted to say that I think it's neat that you're checking out the knife scene Lux. I've been hooked on them since grade school. I used to save my pennies so that I could pick out a knife at the local gun shows as a youngster. During the last 5 years most of my interest has been in lights but I've still managed to pick up a few knives. While I don't always have a light on my person when out of the house during the day I do have a knife. I think that after a while of carrying them you tend to realize how often you have need of one. After a while flicking open a blade and cutting something is a natural as scrapping at something with your finger nail. You hardly even think about it.

I see that you ordered 1 or 2 knives so let us know what you think. I could see you as the type of person who would find a little 2-3" blade very handy and practical. This Spyderco Sage came to mind since I know that you appreciate a certain amount of elegance in your tools. The CF Native is also a striking little knife as well. I once dressed and skined an entire mule deer with a Native and it performed admirably
    Last edited by Patriot; 10-14-2009 at 08:59 PM. Reason: spelling

Lux, I just read your first post, and I would have never guessed that you would want to run away from a fight after having read some of your posts, where you have gone one on one with some of our members. Welcome to knives. BTW, are you going to SHOT 2010? If so, there is a world of knives there.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
    I missed this thread until today but just wanted to say that I think it's neat that you're checking out the knife scene Lux. I've been hooked on them since grade school. I used to save my pennies so that I could pick out a knife at the local gun shows as a youngster. During the last 5 years most of my interest has been in lights but I've still managed to pick up a few knives. While I don't always have a light on my person when out of the house during the day I do have a knife. I think that after a while of carrying them you tend to realize how often you have need of one. After a while flicking open a blade and cutting something is a natural as scrapping at something with your finger nail. You hardly even think about it.

I see that you ordered 1 or 2 knives so let us know what you think. I could see you as the type of person who would find a little 2-3" blade very handy and practical. This Spyderco Sage came to mind since I know that you appreciate a certain amount of elegance in your tools. The CF Native is also a striking little knife as well. I once dressed and skined an entire mule deer with a Native and it performed admirable.
    Both the Sage and the Native are very nice knives you suggested!
    Cheers!
    Kevin

Flashaholic*

I see that you ordered 1 or 2 knives so let us know what you think. I could see you as the type of person who would find a little 2-3" blade very handy and practical. This Spyderco Sage came to mind since I know that you appreciate a certain amount of elegance in your tools. The CF Native is also a striking little knife as well. I once dressed and skined an entire mule deer with a Native and it performed admirable.
    If you like the CF native, look here.

Quote Originally Posted by jzmtl View Post

Wowee! Best price on that knife I've ever seen! Thanks man.

By the way if you want to snag one you'd better do it fast... I hear the Native4 (CF) is on the chopping block this year and getting discontinued.
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by jzmtl View Post
    OMG its Fugly I hadn't seen V4 yet.

I think I will have to get one, it looks like it would be a great user.

Quote Originally Posted by Raoul_Duke View Post
    OMG its Fugly

Are we talking about the same knife?

Flashaholic*

Are we talking about the same knife?
    Yep all Spyderco's are Ugly IMHO...That may be a slightly better looker than some spydies...but I have been away from collecting for a while now, and it was a bit of a supprise looking at a new spydie I haven seen a pic of before, and true to form, they all still get beaten with the ugly stick when they start life..

Saying that is only a small part of the story though.
    The important part is They are realy great Tools!!! probably some of the best out there; function over form and all that...the customer service and the people who own the co. are first class also!!!!!!!!

If I had to recomend a brand ( To lux or anyone new to knives)...for value, variety and quality I would say spyderco.

But I woulden't buy a spyderco on looks/ There are far better lookers out there...

Guess what I have clipped in my pocket right now...thats right a Spyderco
    Last edited by Raoul_Duke; 10-15-2009 at 03:16 PM.

Hmm, well I guess to my way of thinking, form often follows function. If you have a form that works good, it often follows that it looks good as well. I wouldn't say that I have an artistic eye but I appreciate artistic machinery whether it's a Ferrari or an Omega watch. I've recognized that early Spyderco designs were a departure from the typical pocket knife but now in an age where everyone is producing their own tactical folders and EDCs they appear completely conventional to me. The Native is perhaps one of the most popular knives in Spyderco's line and except for the blade hole it would almost be indistinguishable from several dozen other similar models from other manufacturers. Obviously looks are subjective but Spyderco has been immensely successful not just with users, but eye candy seekers and collectors as well. In today's factory knife industry I'd be hard pressed to think of the Native as anything but elegantly normative in design. If it's ugly I don't know what would be considered "pretty."