Foxfury Breakthrough
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Inexperienced Stupid Knife Question

Default Re: Inexperienced Stupid Knife Question

Quote Originally Posted by LuxLuthor View Post
    LOL! I think I now know about as much as you can find out after two more phone calls to several people at Kai. There is one other knife on the list at Sonoma, namely Michel Bras that is made in partnership with Shun, even more expensive than Meiji (however it does not use the SG-2 steel)

Classic has core of VG-10 with 32 folded layers giving the Damascus appearance.

Elite uses the SG-2 with 2 clad layers of 410A Stainless

Kaji uses SG-2 with 32 folded clad layers also giving the Damascus appearance. It is a bit heavier with the larger tang at end of symetrical (not D shaped) slightly curved handle and two rivets.

Meiji uses SG-2 with 64 folded layers, yet is a bit lighter than Kaji, and has the straighter profile and handle similar to classic. The additional layers give more side texturing to slightly reduce drag. She said on a practical basis it doesn't perform significantly better than Kaji. (Especially at the double price)

So, my instinct without feeling/seeing them in person is leaning towards the Kaji. The nearest Sonoma is an hour's drive. I'm trying to decide if it is worth driving to try them, or just order.
    Dude,
    I made a trip to WS today and looked at all of the Shun knives. Guess what, there's yet another one that they didn't tell you about. The Ken Onion Kaji fusion! The 8" KO chef's knife with the SG2 steel core damascus blade!

They were nice enough to bring out a cutting board and a raw potato for me to slice and dice and I tried ALL of the options except the classic, which I already have.

First, let me say that the Meiji was in a class by itself. 2nd, was the KO Kaji Fusion. The others, including the MB were way behind.

Here's what I left the store with;

The Ken Onion series is being discontinued, so get 'em while they're available!

The Kaji Fusion was originally either $450 or $499, not sure which, and I got it for $349.00.

http://reviews.williams-sonoma.com/3...10/reviews.htm
    Last edited by kwkarth; 10-22-2009 at 06:22 PM.
    “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend, inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” -Groucho Marx
    You never know when you might need a good flashlight!

this one time, i went to a knife fight and a cooking show broke out.

Technically, the Michel Bras is also a Shun knife, or at least a co-partnered Shun knife....but the SG-2 is "the money shot play," which ruled out the Michel Bras (well also because I don't want to be handling a sharp knife with a name that makes me think about things like this)

Speaking of the sandwiching

Oh yeah, we were talking about knives....the appeal and effect of the Damascus layers is noteworthy.

I don't mind thinking about other things when I hear Michel Bras but maybe something "newer" and less weird than AJ. I think I'd be partial to Kelly Brook.

Oh yeah, back on the knife topic.....

kwkarth, those are beautiful knives!!!!

What was that? Oh yeah, you got me distracted!

Knives, that was it, or was it flashlights... thanks!
    “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend, inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” -Groucho Marx

So the Meiji is really different in terms of looks, feel, and function?

Did you mean to "dis" the Kaji line saying it was in the same category as the MB line? I got the impression from talking to KAI and several clerks at 4 different stores that they all liked the Kaji better than the Ken Onion, but none mention that discontinued model.

I wasn't sure if I would have liked that KO grip, & the normal ones also being the same VG-10 so didn't consider it.
    Last edited by LuxLuthor; 10-22-2009 at 08:00 PM.

So the Meiji is really different in terms of looks, feel, and function?

Did you mean to "dis" the Kaji line saying it was in the same category as the MB line? I got the impression from talking to KAI and several clerks at 4 different stores that they all liked the Kaji better than the Ken Onion, but none mention that discontinued model.

I wasn't sure if I would have liked that KO grip, & the normal ones also being the same VG-10 so didn't consider it.
    So, the regular Ken Onion line uses the same blade construction as the Classic line. The Kaji and the Elite are a step up, using SG-2 core steel. The Kaji handles, while beautiful and well constructed, seem to me, too thin and insubstantial. The KO handles are much more robust, but a hair on the short side. The KO Koji Fusion handle is yet more robust with a SS rear bolster on the aft end of the handle as well as the for-end. The Meiji handles are volumetrically, the biggest and are also "D" shaped like the Classic and Elite series, but bigger and nicer looking. Overall, the Meiji's are also the best balanced of all the Shuns. The "texturing" for lack of a better term on the sides of the Meiji blades insure no stiction between blade and food. The KO Kanji was #2 in this regard, the WS Kanji and Shun Classic about the same at #3, and the Michael Bras #4.

The overall weight of the knives ...
    KO Kanji the heaviest, next, was the Meiji, then the Classic and Kanji about the same with the Classic maybe ever so slightly heavier than the Kanji.

Quote Originally Posted by kwkarth View Post
    So, the regular Ken Onion line uses the same blade construction as the Classic line. The Kaji and the Elite are a step up, using SG-2 core steel. The Kaji handles, while beautiful and well constructed, seem to me, too thin and insubstantial. The KO handles are much more robust, but a hair on the short side. The KO Koji Fusion handle is yet more robust with a SS rear bolster on the aft end of the handle as well as the for-end. The Meiji handles are volumetrically, the biggest and are also "D" shaped like the Classic and Elite series, but bigger and nicer looking. Overall, the Meiji's are also the best balanced of all the Shuns. The "texturing" for lack of a better term on the sides of the Meiji blades insure no stiction between blade and food. The KO Kanji was #2 in this regard, the WS Kanji and Shun Classic about the same at #3, and the Michael Bras #4.

The overall weight of the knives ...
    KO Kanji the heaviest, next, was the Meiji, then the Classic and Kanji about the same with the Classic maybe ever so slightly heavier than the Kanji.
    I can't thank you enough for sorting through all these models, and especially for discovering that KO Kaji Fusion with the SG-2 core, Damascus style, and longer tang handle grip. I was previously "locked in" on the Kaji....heading towards Meiji. But now I'm also a KO Kaji Fusion owner (being shipped).

I can't thank you enough for sorting through all these models, and especially for discovering that KO Kaji Fusion with the SG-2 core, Damascus style, and longer tang handle grip. I was previously "locked in" on the Kaji....heading towards Meiji. But now I'm also a KO Kaji Fusion owner (being shipped).
    Hey, no problem Lux, glad to help when I can! Now I hope you like your knives, and if by chance you don't, let me know so I can buy them from you!!

Knives inbound. I sense another Lux Luthor epic review thread on the way......

This is all your fault kwkarth.

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
    Knives inbound. I sense another Lux Luthor epic review thread on the way......

This is all your fault kwkarth.
    Whaaa, me? All I did was answer a few questions.

Whaaa, me? All I did was answer a few questions.

You showed pictures..........you showed pictures......

Flashaholic*

I've been wanting one of those shun chinese chef knife, but couldn't justify dropping $200 on a kitchen knife. Maybe someday.

Quote Originally Posted by jzmtl View Post
    I've been wanting one of those shun chinese chef knife, but couldn't justify dropping $200 on a kitchen knife. Maybe someday.
    You have nothing to worry about then because it's not a Chinese chef knife and it wasn't $200 bux, so you're safe on both counts.

You have nothing to worry about then because it's not a Chinese chef knife and it wasn't $200 bux, so you're safe on both counts.
    LOL on both counts.

Since I started this thread, I have bought 7 knives & a snazzy sharpening system. It will be interesting to see how the 16° edge on Shun compares to that arm hair shaving edge of the two Lone Wolves.

Have you used any of your new Shuns for personal grooming?

LOL on both counts.

Since I started this thread, I have bought 7 knives & a snazzy sharpening system. It will be interesting to see how the 16° edge on Shun compares to that arm hair shaving edge of the two Lone Wolves.

Have you used any of your new Shuns for personal grooming?
    Sorry about your wallet, man!

LOL! My face isn't that big!! I cooked up a storm tonight though and it was a joy to use the new knives. I sliced, diced, and chopped to my heart's content! The end result was actually edible too! After I finished, I ran the edge of both KO knives across my fine ceramic stick and guess what? They were already, or should I say still smooth as a baby's bottom from hilt to tip.

For fun I minced up a bunch of raw brussels sprouts so fine, they were almost powder when I got done, and it only took seconds. Amazing knives!

I have not encountered anything in the fridge yet that presented even the slightest challenge to the KO Kaji.

Now you can look anybody straight in the eye and tell 'em you're a real cut up and mean it!
    Last edited by kwkarth; 10-23-2009 at 09:40 PM.

The "real" test for me is going to be the green acorn squash.

The "real" test for me is going to be the green acorn squash.
    Piece of cake man.

Just make sure your fingers are not in the way of the blade when you apply it to the top of the squash, because it will emerge on the other side of the squash more quickly and with less effort than you might imagine.

I forgot to mention that my KO Kaji already bit me. When I picked it up at the store, I took it out of the box to look it over. I was admiring it on the stand, as I sat it down on the counter.. When I picked it up to put it back in the box, I grabbed the stand by the bottom, one hand in the front, one hand in the back. My index finger happened to rest on the point of the knife, which instantly embedded itself to the bone. Ouch! So, do as I say, not as I do, be careful!

Laughing at you guys.......

kwkarth you're to fine kitchen knives what Lux Luthor is to Incans. Between the two subjects there's nothing you guys don't know. It's fun to hear you guys talk about all the little details.

Laughing at you guys.......

kwkarth you're to fine kitchen knives what Lux Luthor is to Incans. Between the two subjects there's nothing you guys don't know. It's fun to hear you guys talk about all the little details.
    I think maybe I'm more like somebody who know's just enough about a bunch of things to be dangerous with 'em all! LOL

Hey Lux,
    Done battle with any ornery green acorn squash lately?

Hey Lux,
    Done battle with any ornery green acorn squash lately?
    The last one was about a month ago when I used that big "Al Capone" knife, pressing down with one hand from top of blade, other hand on handle. Very hard pressure with both hands, rocking the 'Godzilla' knife ends back and forth as it slowly pivot-slices through the damn rock hard squash.

Despite my best slow rocking efforts, once the blade reaches the end and suddenly cleaves through to the wood, inevitably one half goes flying over into the toaster, and other half typically flies onto the floor, bouncing off the refrigerator. Then the next ordeal is getting a little off the ends so the halves sit flat in the pan.

I thought I would be really clever one time, and used this saw, but that made a mess, and my wife wasn't too happy since I partially sawed into the cutting block.
    I actually make a point of not having my dog in the kitchen at the time, because he got hit with a ricochet off the frig once. It's only because we both love eating them baked with butter and brown sugar that I bother. I should make a video of the ordeal, because it is pretty funny.

I am due to get the sharpener Monday, and probably the rest of the "motherlode" will arrive by middle/end of the week. Rest assured, I will have some test potatoes, squashies, carrots, & the other monster-to-cut--white turnips (which I hate).

I'm really looking forward to your results. You should do a before and after with the Old Chicago when you get your sharpening kit! Years ago, I did pretty much the same trick with ...I think it was an acorn squash too. As I recall, I was a bit too close to the problem at the time to see the humor in it.
    Last edited by kwkarth; 10-25-2009 at 08:22 AM.

Holy Moly !

Got one of the three KO Kaji Fusions (& a couple folders)...and the Edge Pro system. I'm overwhelmed and

Holy Moly !!! is all I can say at this point...oh, and I can also see that having adequate arm hair is going to be a problem.

Oh no...he's hooked!

Flashaholic*

And bad!

Lux, after your arms, you have leg hair...
    Finning does help dissipate heat. This is why the fins are removed before cooking fish. Otherwise it will throw off the heat and not reach the proper cooking temperature. --Duglite

Congrats Lux! May I suggest you shave kiwis instead of arm hair?

We had company over on Sunday night for dinner. Our son and his wife and baby, and his wife's parents. He (our son) wanted to prepare the salad at our house because they had been so busy running around prior in the day. I handed him one of the KO's to cut the onion. He touched the blade to the top of the onion, and then it was translated to the other side of the onion, in a blink.

His first words? Holy Moly ! Have fun Lux!!

Quote Originally Posted by Th232 View Post
    And bad!

Lux, after your arms, you have leg hair...

LOL.... funny 232

Curling paper is pretty fun too once you run out of hair.

As a competitive swimmer, you should be used to the no hair thing Lux..

As a competitive swimmer, you should be used to the no hair thing Lux..
    Ahhh those were the days. Could eat whatever you want and always burn it up. Swimming 4+ hours a day gets old though. I didn't get to the Olympic level where you needed to shave all your body hair.

Just had a nice talk with the Edge Pro owner to get his advice on all my knives I ran through the carbide sharpeners. Also asked him what he thought about using this to sharpen the Shun knives. He immediately said you can do a much better job sharpening it with Edge Pro than sending it back to KIU in Oregon...speaking from experience with them. That's pretty amazing.
    Last edited by LuxLuthor; 10-27-2009 at 06:04 PM.

I have used the Edge Pro on two older knives, and easily got them sharper than the new Shun knives. This is more amazing than I had anticipated, and relatively foolproof.

How many of you guys have this sharpener?