• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Eiger cool white

arty

Enlightened
I recently got an Eiger level 6, cool white. The light has a great beam, but the "cool white" seems green to me, and I am green weak! I am insensitive to green.
How much tint variation is there in these LEDs?

fyrstormer

Banned
My color vision is fine, as far as I know, and my cool # 6 Eiger is slightly pink. Maybe you're also insensitive to the color of red that the Rebel LED's phosphor emits.

How can you see a green tint if you're insensitive to green?

arty

Enlightened
I see green, but I am just less sensitive than the average person. I am not red-green blind.
I see reds fine, just less sensitive to green.
I wonder if I got the "natural" one by mistake.
How could you tell?
I compared the beam to some Pacifics I have, and they look red in comparison.
The Matterhorns look purplish compared to the Eiger.
The beam configuration is really great, smooth and wide.
I first noticed the tint outside, as it was not so obvious indoors when I used the light by itself.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanted the warmer versio, but I was told that they are really warm, unpleasantly warm.

So, My order was changed to a cool one, which should be much nicer. The warm lights are have are all Q2/Q3/Q4/ in 5A, compared to a cool white Q5, they are on the yellowish/reddish side. If the Eiger natural is supposed to be warmer than that, it can't be greenish, should be orange.

I don't have my cool Eiger yet to tel you how it looks, I hope to get it soon, it has been on its way since the 28th september, shipped with Global Express and I'm getting nervous... :mecry:

fyrstormer

Banned
I see green, but I am just less sensitive than the average person. I am not red-green blind.
I see reds fine, just less sensitive to green.
I wonder if I got the "natural" one by mistake.
How could you tell?
I compared the beam to some Pacifics I have, and they look red in comparison.
The Matterhorns look purplish compared to the Eiger.
The beam configuration is really great, smooth and wide.
I first noticed the tint outside, as it was not so obvious indoors when I used the light by itself.
That's really weird. My Eiger is distinctly more pink than my Baltic, which has a lime-gold tint. I'm pretty sure I ordered the cool one, but now you've got me wondering.

Does anyone have the neutral and the cool emitters that they could light up side-by-side and take a beamshot of?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I ordered cool because of the warnings of the overly warm nature of the warm LED that are used in these.
What I got was something almost neutral. Like an WH XR-E Cree really and I love it.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two #4 cools. They are both warmer than any of my Crees. However, one is very noticably warmer than the other. The warmer one looks more creme than cool. The cooler one is what I would consider neutral.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Eiger arrived today! :)

While I wanted to have a level 6, my Eiger is pretty bright and there's an "8" stamped in the contact. Could be, that I have a level 8, it get's pretty warm in a few minutes too.

The tint of my Eiger seems to tend to greenish as well. If I look at it alone, it seems prety white, but compared to my other lights, it surely tends to the greenish side. Well, the tint is not bad after all, I have the wide version, pretty good flood and as I said, used alone, the light looks pretty white (and the light is gold-plated)! :huh:

arty

Enlightened
If I had to use a single color word to characterize the color of mine, it would be "cream" colored.
Not really all that "cool" a tint, but a very useful beam. The medium is pretty wide.
The flashlight is cool.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's really weird. My Eiger is distinctly more pink than my Baltic, which has a lime-gold tint. I'm pretty sure I ordered the cool one, but now you've got me wondering.

Does anyone have the neutral and the cool emitters that they could light up side-by-side and take a beamshot of?

MWClint shot some outdoor pics of his Eigers, including some where you could compare the warm and cool tinted versions. This was not long after the Eiger came out, probably in the original Eiger thread.

Also, Robyn posted some indoor beam shots of different Eigers, likewise when they were first introduced. I believe she started a separate thread on that.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I posted re: the arrival of my Eiger in the LED section. Just to let you guys know, the 'neutral' tint is very, very warm. Almost as warm as my 6P P60. My Eiger AAA Level 7 brass medium head pocket body is just awesome. Doesn't get very warm either - not like my MD2 M60W MC-E!!

Amazing how much light comes out of this little fella with such a nice, floody beam to match!! Haven't seen the 'White' version - I wouldn't be too keen on green - I'm green sensitive also.

James....:)

Last edited: