Playing a little with an SST-50 ...

wquiles

Flashaholic
Not a full build, but I will share a few pics ;)

DSCF8237.JPG

DSCF8239.JPG

DSCF8240.JPG

This is with the reflector I got from Jo:
DSCF8242.JPG

DSCF8243.JPG

Here is with a deep reflector for MC-E/P7:
DSCF8244.JPG

DSCF8245.JPG

And here with a small reflector for the MC-E:
DSCF8246.JPG

Here I am running it at 4 Amps:
DSCF8249.JPG

Here I am running it at 5 Amps:
DSCF8250.JPG

Will

Al Combs

Enlightened
Wow, it took 4.6 volts to get 5 amps from an SST-50! I thought they were supposed to have a low Vf. Page 8 of the Luminus pdf on the SST-50 says it only takes 3.6 volts to get 5 amps. What's up with that?:thinking:

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
prolly a lower or an unknown bin, the data-sheet will be for the highest binned

wquiles

Flashaholic
Wow, it took 4.6 volts to get 5 amps from an SST-50! I thought they were supposed to have a low Vf. Page 8 of the Luminus pdf on the SST-50 says it only takes 3.6 volts to get 5 amps. What's up with that?:thinking:
Actually, if you read the data sheet again, you will "not" find a statement from them stating that every single LED will consume 5 Amps at 3.6 volts. Note #3 on the table says that those are only "typical values" -> some LED's will have low VF's, this one I got clearly has a higher VF than "typical".

prolly a lower or an unknown bin, the data-sheet will be for the highest binned
Yup, this is one of the unknown bins PhotonFanatic got as early samples ;)

Will

space

Newly Enlightened
And the Vf wasn't measured at the LED was it? At 5A there will be a fairly substantian drop in the wires.

space

wquiles

Flashaholic
And the Vf wasn't measured at the LED was it? At 5A there will be a fairly substantian drop in the wires.

space
You are right, in that with the long cables that I used there will be a voltage drop on the cables, so next time I need to measure the voltage at the LED, which would have been lower than the voltage shown at the power supply.

I will try to take another measurement tonight.

Will

Flash_25296

Newly Enlightened
Out of curiosity what is the internal resistance of the DC Power Supply that you are using for testing and how does it compare to the resistance of the wire you are using?

Here is a useful guide for using Agilent Power Supplies
http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/5965-8239E.pdf

Tip 1 is inline with your concerns so maybe you could add that into your setup to better regulate the source.

wquiles

Flashaholic
Out of curiosity what is the internal resistance of the DC Power Supply that you are using for testing and how does it compare to the resistance of the wire you are using?

Here is a useful guide for using Agilent Power Supplies
http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/5965-8239E.pdf

Tip 1 is inline with your concerns so maybe you could add that into your setup to better regulate the source.

This is a 9Amp, 60V extra heavy duty bench supply, so the internal resistance is not the problem. However, as space correctly pointed out, the long and thin wires that are OK for most of my experiments at 1 amp or so are not adequate for 5Amps.

Here on top, on my bench DMM I have the voltage at the LED (1.28 volt drop on the wires!), and as you can see it is more in line with that we expected initially to see: 3.39V volts at 5Amps :devil:
DSCF8264.JPG

I will try another experiment, maybe tonight, where I am going to direct drive the LED from that BIG F cell - I will use short wires ;)

Will

Flash_25296

Newly Enlightened
I have worked with supplies like this before and hooking up the sense lines to the load is a good way to go. Glad to hear you have a solution to better test your device

Did you check out the link, try the remote sense lines and lets see what happens :eek:

Al Combs

Enlightened
Here on top, on my bench DMM I have the voltage at the LED (1.28 volt drop on the wires!), and as you can see it is more in line with that we expected initially to see: 3.39V volts at 5Amps :devil:
Will
Glad to see you got a good one.:)

wquiles

Flashaholic
OK, not quite a full host either, but I am starting to take some beamshots with various reflectors and one Aspheric glass lens:

From left: Metal reflector I got from Jo (Britelumens), Barbolight Deep Reflector, DX MC-E reflector, Glass Aspheric lens I bought years ago from online surplus store (maker/origin unknown, but many were bought here in the forums at the time):
DSCF8287.JPG

Camera on tripod - manual exposure - auto white balance.

Pointed at the ceiling - about 3.5 to 4 foot away - light off:
DSCF8274.JPG

Pointed at the ceiling - SST-50 at 5A - Jo's reflector:
DSCF8275.JPG

Pointed at the ceiling - SST-50 at 5A - Barbo reflector:
DSCF8276.JPG

Pointed at the ceiling - SST-50 at 5A - MC-E reflector:
DSCF8277.JPG

Pointed at the ceiling - SST-50 at 5A - Glass Aspheric:
DSCF8278.JPG

Pointed across my "shop" at the knee mill - light OFF:
DSCF8286.JPG

Pointed across my "shop" at the knee mill - SST-50 at 5A - Jo's reflector:
DSCF8283.JPG

Pointed across my "shop" at the knee mill - SST-50 at 5A - Glass Aspheric:
DSCF8284.JPG

Pointed across my "shop" at the knee mill - SST-50 at 5A - Barbo reflector:
DSCF8285.JPG

Hopefully by next week I might have enough time to make something more "portable" to take outdoor beamshots ;)

Will

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will, I believe the Surplus Shed aspherical lens is the same one as the MG
lens I used in my SST-90 build :thumbsup:

Hmmm .... I think it is mentioned somewhere in LuxLuther's aspherical lens shootout :confused:

wquiles

Flashaholic
any outdoor beamshots Will?
Hopefully by next week ;)

Will, I believe the Surplus Shed aspherical lens is the same one as the MG
lens I used in my SST-90 build :thumbsup:

Hmmm .... I think it is mentioned somewhere in LuxLuther's aspherical lens shootout :confused:

The surplus shed was indeed a 01 LAG 123, the link is still floating around here their part #PL1072. It is the MG 52 x 37 one, it just has a new part number now.

http://www.surplusshed.com/pages/item/pl1072.html

CVI Melles Griot part number is LAG-52.0-37.0-C

Thank you guys - I bought those a while back - maybe 2 years or more, and last night was the first time I tried one. Glad I tried with the SST-50 :devil:

Last edited:

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you guys - I bought those a while back - maybe 2 years or more, and last night was the first time I tried one. Glad I tried with the SST-50 :devil:

Will,

I don't know what we were thinking. At DFW GTG we had SST-50's pushing 5.2A, DEFT aspherical lens, and 01LAG123, but we never gave it a try. saabluster even had a few SST-90's, we never lit em up. We'll have to have a GTG in my garage or something where we can use a power supply and do some testing.

Just too much going on that night!