Magcharger, Still an option?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Would you still buy a Magcharger today? OR is there a better car cradle charging option now.

Primarily to leave in the car and never think about till you need it - aside from the occasional function check.

Magcharger comes to mind first because you can easily mod it if you want to tweak preformance.

Last edited:

Howecollc

Enlightened
There will never be a better cradle charging system because Tony Maglica's litigation team won't let there be. Those charging rings are pure genius, and undoubtedly patented.

my#1hobby

Enlightened
I have a Magcharger in my van and it stays plugged in all the time, and ALWAYS works! My *treamlight would come out of its charger sometimes without me even touching it.

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new LED MagCharger should be out soon.They have been showing it off at trade shows but I have yet to see a picture of one.

I wonder if the incan version will be discontinued?

Dealers that carry the original might drop the price to make room for the new model.Maybe just wishful thinking.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would you still buy a Magcharger today? OR is there a better car cradle charging option now.

Primarily to leave in the car and never think about till you need it - aside from the occasional function check.

Magcharger comes to mind first because you can easily mod it if you want to tweak preformance.
SureFire 10X Dominator?

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
being able to drop the light into the charger any way up is great, but there is a downside (and an upside to having to orient a light in the charger the right way)

when you grab a magcharger out of its cradle (which is very secure, probably the one i would trust most for an in car light) the switch could be anywhere, whereas every other cradle light i have (SL Ultrastinger, Pelican M11 and Inova T4) all have the switch in the same location every time you pick it out of the cradle
it might be slightly more irritating to drop into the charger, but works a bit better when you need light right NOW

most people would probably drop the magcharger into the cradle with the switch up anyway (although the cradle will protect the switch from accidental activation)

(i would include the strion in this, but its switch is at the back, and easy to find)

the magcharger is a good solid light though, i have one that i bought new, with charger and everything, and a second one i picked up, body only from a pawnshop for a bargain price, its waiting for me to decide what to do with it, i will probably get some brighter bulbs, and put a new batt stick in it

/rant mode off

Databyter

Enlightened
I still like em, my neighbor has a new one and all I can say is it is surprisingly bright. Mag has really improved those over the years. It blows away my old stock non rechargable stock mags.

I heard they were based on Nickel Cadmium batt.s though which I hope is not true. Nickel Cads and frequent topping off in cradle doesn't seem to be a natural choice. But they still rock regardless for the contractor or whoever that just wants powerful light that always has some juice and ready to go with some pretty usable brightness.

Howecollc

Enlightened
I heard they were based on Nickel Cadmium batt.s though which I hope is not true. Nickel Cads and frequent topping off in cradle doesn't seem to be a natural choice.
Apparently Mag took this into consideration when they designed the charger to trickle at 200 mA, which from what I've read, is an amount that can be easily dissipated from the battery indefinitely. This enables the MC to be left in the cradle all the time without damaging the battery. My Mom leaves hers hanging on the wall 24/7, and the pack still lasts about 4 years. The trade off is, of course, the 14 hour charge time everyone complains about.

Howecollc

Enlightened
Can anyone offer a higher capacity battery without making it yourself?
http://www.batteryjunction.com/streamlight-fb-5h1.html
This seems to be the highest capacity pack readily available, as the often mentioned 4.0 Ah Aero packs of old seem to be no more. Powerstream offers 3.8 Ah NiMH flat top 1/2 Ds, but they require a minimum of 100 cells, and would have to be assembled to some degree. There is an old thread somewhere on CPF where js? was trying to get together a group buy for a pack using the Powerstream cells, but I recall it fell thru for lack of interest.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
They're cool. I've got a friend letting me mess with theirs. Theres a lot of artifacts but the darn thing throws like crazy with an 1185 setup. Anyone know what kind of connector the charger is using though?

Last edited:

Howecollc

Enlightened
They're cool. I've got a friend letting me mess with theirs. Theres a lot of artifacts but the darn thing throws like crazy with an 1185 setup. Anyone know what kind of connector the charger is using though?
Do you mean what type of connector is between the charging cradle and the wall plug-in transformer, or do you mean how do you connect the light to charge it.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you mean what type of connector is between the charging cradle and the wall plug-in transformer, or do you mean how do you connect the light to charge it.

Yes, between the cradle and wall adapter. Is it a tamiya style adapter? Looks similar.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited: