How to Harness the Bridgelux C2000 PICS ADDED!!!!!

clint357

Newly Enlightened
As some of you know, I have been trying to make a good auxilary automotive light with the Bridgelux C2000. I have a few beam shots (which I will post once I get home from work) with a 50mm P7 reflector, a 50mm aspheric, a 50mm euro beam aspheric, and a 38mm condenser lens. I'm going to take some more pics later this week or this weekend and I was wondering if anyone else had suggestions on how to tame this beast. I'm driving it at 2.5A, which should be putting out over 3,000 lumens....I believe. This thing is a monster in terms of total light output, but it seems tricky to get a good beam without wasting a lot of light.

UPDATE 10-25-2009

I need to go back and pace it off, but I believe the building is about 500-600' away. I know that some of the shots are kind of crappy because there is some kind of motion light that kept switching on and off right next to the building. I'll be back in a better area as soon as I get my 100mm aspheric in the mail though.

200 Jeep Grand Cherokee with clean lenses...

High beams
PA243150.jpg

Low beams and stupid motion light
PA243151.jpg

Bridgelux with 50mm DX OP reflector
PA243152.jpg

Reflector and matching aspheric-note the yellow halo from the led
PA243153.jpg

Reflector and 50mm euro beam aspheric from DX
PA243154.jpg

No reflector and 50mm aspheric about 10mm from led
PA243155.jpg

No reflector and good focus on the aspherical lens. You could see all 25 beams of light comming from the led...cool looking but useless.
PA243157.jpg

LED with no optics.
PA243158.jpg

My thoughts; This thing is cheap and puts out a TON of light, but because the surface area is so massive it's hard to get a tight beam. I think this setup would be ok for some aux. offroad lights or aux. driving lights, but it would be nice to get some more throw. My 100mm aspheric with an 80mm focal length should provide some interesting results though. Hopefully it will be here soon so I can post my findings.

Last edited:

LEDobsession

Enlightened
Re: How to Harness the Bridgelux C2000

As some of you know, I have been trying to make a good auxilary automotive light with the Bridgelux C2000. I have a few beam shots (which I will post once I get home from work) with a 50mm P7 reflector, a 50mm aspheric, a 50mm euro beam aspheric, and a 38mm condenser lens. I'm going to take some more pics later this week or this weekend and I was wondering if anyone else had suggestions on how to tame this beast. I'm driving it at 2.5A, which should be putting out over 3,000 lumens....I believe. This thing is a monster in terms of total light output, but it seems tricky to get a good beam without wasting a lot of light.

I guess its kind of a monster. If you haven't seen it yet, check out the CSM-360-W. That thing is a monster! Anyways, it'll be pretty cool for what you're doing with it. I think 25 dies are gonna be hard to harness the full output though. :thumbsup:

clint357

Newly Enlightened

Are those things readily available now? If so, how much are they? I'd like to see someone on here do a review on them.

LEDobsession

Enlightened

Are those things readily available now? If so, how much are they? I'd like to see someone on here do a review on them.

I'm not really sure if they are available yet. Last I checked, avnet only had a request quote option. And from the looks of it, they'll be pricey. Do a CPF google of it and you can find out a lot more about it. :thumbsup:

clint357

Newly Enlightened

Doesn anyone know where to get a large (3-5") aspheric lens for a decent price? I know that I can get a good medium-flood angle with a 50mm lens, but to get a good throw I"ll need something bigger.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast

What do you mean by "euro beam" aspheric? The aspheric lense off of an HID car headlight?

clint357

Newly Enlightened

First post updated with pics! BTW does anyone know if you can take that yellow film off of the Bridgelux? It makes a nasty yellow halo when focused with an aspheric.

ecameron87

Newly Enlightened
What did you use to drive this with? I wonder how it would do in a Hella 4000 offroad light in place of the standard bulb? I am looking for a good flood light.

clint357

Newly Enlightened
Look at the other post with some better shots. I think you would find that this needs enough heat sinking that it has to be in a specially made housing. It does make a good flood though.

kirill_igum

Newly Enlightened
i'm also interested in how you drive the LED. i'd like to use it for a motorcycle. thanks

Lightdoctor

Enlightened
Your stupid motion light is actually a high pressure sodium lamp doing end of life voltage rise cycling.