Looking for a rather large tritium tube/sphere

jdkno

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a trite tube or sphere that is 6mm in diameter by like 6 or 7mm long. Anyone know where I could possibly source one? All the sellers here pretty much max out at 2 or 3 mm and thoes are rather long too.

thanks.

Capo_au

Newly Enlightened
This may explain why your having a hard time locating anything that large.

Because tritium in particular is an integral part of thermonuclear devices (though in quantities several thousand times larger than that in a keychain), consumer and safety devices containing tritium for use in the United States are subject to certain possession, resale, disposal, and use restrictions. Devices such as self-luminous exit signs, gauges, wrist watches, etc., which contain small amounts of tritium are under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, and are subject to possession, distribution, import and export regulations found in 10 CFR Parts, 30, 32 and 110. They are also subject to regulations for possession, use and disposal in certain states. They are readily sold and used in the US and are widely available in the U.K. Some countries, Belgium for example, have outlawed them.[4] Tritium lighting is legal in most of Asia and Australia.

You would assume that the tubes used in the self-luminous exit signs must be of a reasonable size to be of any use. Might be worth looking up. Just a thought.

It looks like these tubes are encapsulated in epoxy plastic, but they seem to be a fair size.

Last edited:

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most tritum exit signs use 5mm diameter tubes but the shortest one is 40mm overall (30mm tritium section)

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
According to this thread, 5mm diameter is used in Exit signs. What length(s) are used in exit signs?

Without buying an Exit sign;
What is the largest diameter, NOT length that I can buy? Where can I get them too?