Jammed D cells in Maglite

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got a nasty one here, my sister allowed some cells to decay in the 3D Maglite I'd given her some time back. Now the batteries have corroded and I can only get one of them out! Does anyone now how to remove the switch/head? This way all I need do is take a screw driver handle and a mallet and knock them out. Or just buy her another one to screw up!

chiphead

Why won't women take care of their technology?

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had alkaline batteries leak in my 4 cell mag even though the light was bright (batteries fresh) :confused: What I did was to remove the head and bulb so they are not subject to the stress and slam the open tail end hard against a piece of pine board (motion parallel to the tube axis) so the tube would not bend. It got the battery out.

Fulgeo

Enlightened
Got a nasty one here, my sister allowed some cells to decay in the 3D Maglite I'd given her some time back. Now the batteries have corroded and I can only get one of them out! Does anyone now how to remove the switch/head? This way all I need do is take a screw driver handle and a mallet and knock them out. Or just buy her another one to screw up!

chiphead

Why won't women take care of their technology?

Chiphead,

Do this. Take a small bladed screw driver or even a toothpick and peal off the rubber boot switch seal covering the switch. You will see the exposed switch has a small hole in it. Insert a 5/64 hex allen wrench into the center of the switch post and unscrew the set screw that holds the switch body in place. 3 full counterclockwise turns should do it. Also remember to press the switch into the "ON" position. Now unscrew the head which contains the reflector and set it to the side. You should now see the bulb on the pedestal that holds it. Remove the bulb and set it to the side. Now you can try and push the pedestal switch assembly down thru the flashlight body to dislodge the batteries. If this gives you trouble get yourself a small section of PVC pipe that clears the pedestal but not so big that it hits the retaining snap ring. Place this over the pedestal and apply pressure if this does not work go for broke and hit it with a mallet or slam it against the floor. If this does not work time for a new flashlight. Save what ever you can from the old flashlight. Worst case you can save the head with reflector, switch boot and tail cap.

Here is some good reference material that should help alot.
http://www.maglite.com/pdf/CustServ/CD_switch_repair_8_0411222004324362.pdf

Good luck and happy mods!

buickid

Enlightened
If its a Energizer, Duracell or I think Ray-o-Vac, send it back to Mag and they'll fix you up. IIRC they have contracts with those battery mfgs. to handle this type of situation.

Billy Ram

Enlightened
I've had this happen to more than one Maglight and whacking the end on a white pine board did remove the batterys. On a 6 cell it took more effort than it was worth. Both flash lights were dammaged from the leaking batterys and one couldn't be used. The other didn't last much longer and had batterys once again jammed.
I don't like to leave alkaline batterys in equipment longer than a year even though they seem to be still good.
Billy

Last edited:

peterkin101

Newly Enlightened
I'm pretty sure MnO2 is basic...
I don't recall single use acid batteries being sold by the flashlight section in Wally:thinking:

You are being a little pedantic.

Yes the gunk being leaked is basic rather than acidic but it will still has great potential to cause severe injury.

If I remember rightly there is also a health dose of Potassium Hydroxide (KOH aka Caustic Potash) there as well which is the corrosive ingredient.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are being a little pedantic.

Yes the gunk being leaked is basic rather than acidic but it will still has great potential to cause severe injury.

If I remember rightly there is also a health dose of Potassium Hydroxide (KOH aka Caustic Potash) there as well which is the corrosive ingredient.

you are being a little paranoid.

there is nothing in alk batts that has great potential to cause severe injury. just wash your hands after handling them (leaking batts that is), and don't ingest, use common sence, and you'll be fine.

Last edited:

peterkin101

Newly Enlightened
you are being a little paranoid.

there is nothing in alk batts that has great potential to cause severe injury. just wash your hands after handling them (leaking batts that is), and don't ingest, use common sence, and you'll be fine.

Well I suppose you could put 100% concentrated (oily) Sulphuric Acid on your hand and it won't hurt you if you wash it off immediately.

And I've seen that happen for real.