• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Looking for a boost converter to power an LED strip

Vynce

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a boost converter to power an LED strip from a set of batteries. The LED strip consists of 30 blue (3mm or 5mm) LEDs in some kind of mixed series/parallel configuration. It is designed to run on 12V. I want to power it with four AA NiMH batteries in series (4~6 V).

Here's the measured current draw at various voltages:
80 mA @ 10 V
180 mA @ 12 V
285 mA @ 14 V

I think that either a constant voltage source at 12V or a constant current source at ~180mA would be ideal. Adjustable brightness is not required. I would also like to be able to optionally power two of these strips at the same time (I assume that wiring them in parallel at double the current would be ok).

Any suggestions on which Sandwich Shoppe product would suit my needs best? I'm comfortable with SMD soldering if any modifications need to be made.

Vynce

Newly Enlightened
After doing a lot more reading, it looks like my choices are limited to the Shark/Blue Shark and the TaskLED Fatman. The Fatman is an older design and doesn't have open-circuit output protection which makes the Shark a better choice.

Is there an ETA on when the Sharks will be back in stock?