Foxfury Breakthrough

Thread: Surefire G2 Striking Capability

Flashaholic*

Default Surefire G2 Striking Capability

I've seen compatible defense bezels for g2's online. But the main concern I have about g2's are the nitrolon bodies. The tube wraps around an aluminum inner tube but the threads that holds the bezel is all nitrolon.

Does any know if the g2 is capable of taking damage if we shank an attacker with a defense bezel on it? The nitrolon body is identical to hard Polyurethane when fully set and hardened.

Has anyone even tried putting a defense bezel on a g2 and use it in a combat situation? It's not as durable as the 6p but surefire didn't make the g2 a nitrolon body just for a non-conductive, corrosive body.

Default Re: Surefire G2 Striking Capability

It will work just fine, then once you have a good lawyer, he/she will be able to convince the jury that when you replaced the standard bezel with a wicked-looking crenellated one, that it didn't constitute prior intent for assault.
    In the past we have had a light which flickered, in the present we have a light which flames, and in the future there will be a light which shines over all the land and sea.
    - Winston Churchill

Flashaholic*

A (mini) flashlight isn't a combat weapon, nor an impact weapon.

Hopefully, the pointy bezel fad is dying away.
    There's more to a light than its output.

CPF Member 13...

If you carry a flashlight for self-defence, you are fooling yourself. If you need to defend yourself, carry something else or just strike someone without it.

But to answer your question, it will not break, but it won't give much weight to your punch either. If you're going to keep bringing it to brawls you're going to have to stock up on some spare bulbs though, which will cost you more than just simply buying a bigger light or a serious weapon or mace.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiresius View Post
    The nitrolon body is identical to hard Polyurethane when fully set and hardened.
    FYI, Nitrolon is a proprietary aramid glass-filled polymer so not identical to hard Polyurethane.

Quote Originally Posted by Size15's View Post
    FYI, Nitrolon is a proprietary aramid glass-filled polymer so not identical to hard Polyurethane.
    the depth of technical knowledge here never ceases to amaze and humble me, all i know is check cell voltage, put cells in light, turn light on (and change mode) lol

if anything goes wrong, come running to CPF for help

Why are all the contestants in Miss Universe only from Earth?

Quote Originally Posted by dano View Post
    A (mini) flashlight isn't a combat weapon, nor an impact weapon.
    Actually it could be used as a "strike focus" for say pressure point defensive tactics concentrating the strike over a very small area (I've seen a Scottish self defense instructor using this approach)... but then so could any similarly sized object

Quote Originally Posted by dano View Post
    Hopefully, the pointy bezel fad is dying away.
    One can only hope, never been a huge fan of those Klingon type bezels
    My modest collection HERE & 55w HID spotlight project HERE

Flashaholic*

crenelated bezels have their use, if not exaggerated.

they keep the edge of the head round and protected, specially from falls, p60 based lights tend to be head heavy (more if using a malkoff type drop-in)

they let light pass, so you dont leave them turned on by accident (or by curious people)

i guess if you dont like them the easy way is not to buy them?

Quote Originally Posted by Size15's View Post
    Did SF change the composition?

http://www.surefire.com/why_surefire#Nitrolon
    SureFire’s polymer WeaponLight and flashlight bodies are made of Nitrolon, a proprietary high-strength, non-conductive, impact-resistant, glass-filled polyamide nylon polymer.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Did SF change the composition?

http://www.surefire.com/why_surefire#Nitrolon
    SureFire’s polymer WeaponLight and flashlight bodies are made of Nitrolon, a proprietary high-strength, non-conductive, impact-resistant, glass-filled polyamide nylon polymer.
    Sounds like Fiberglas...
    There's more to a light than its output.

CPF Member 13...

Same concept -- a glass fiber reinforced plastic. But fiberglass usually uses a thermoset (e.g., epoxy) for the resin. Nylon is a thermoplastic.

I really doubt that Nitrolon is an aramid-glass fiber composite. Aramids are used as the fiber component in composites, not the matrix component. It's probably a confusion between aliphatic polyamide (e.g., nylons) vs aromatic polyamides (e.g., para-aramids).
    Last edited by Justin Case; 10-14-2009 at 07:53 AM.

I do have some further details somewhere- I'll see if I can find them...
    Definitely glass-filled Nylon.
    I admit to not understanding 'plastics' enough to determine whether both SureFire's statements are essentially the same or actually contradictory. I'll investigate if I get time

Aramid is short for aromatic polyamide. If Nitrolon is glass-filled nylon, then it cannot be glass-filled aramid. Nylons and aramids are two clearly distinct polymers.

It appears then that I was using old terminology, likely replaced because it was inaccurate. Thanks to those who know about polymers for helping to update and correct me!

Back on topic, to striking with a G2, I dont see the problem. But I think "shank" is the wrong word choice. Pressure points are what you should be applying force too. flashlights can be for self defense but you need training and practice. I look at the E2DL like a kuboton with pointy ends.

striking to the face and other sensitive areas might help create a moment for you to escape.

However extreme crenelations, like that of the Surefire Porcupine, could actually shank someone. Other types like GGGAZ offer sleeved strike rings to attach to your G2. are made of steel and can multiply the force used to a more concentrated area.

I have the GGGAZ crenelations for my M2 bezel, and while it has a ring of small teeth, it is not pleasant at all to be poked by it.
    Collecting is not about what you have but rather what you DONT have . . . yet.
    ABTOMAT: "Newer Surefire lights strike me as the result of CNC programmers saying to each other "Hold my beer and watch THIS."

DimeRazorback has a true life story on the, um, effectiveness of the strike bezel:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=240966

I forgot about that!

Last edited by DimeRazorback; 10-16-2009 at 07:15 AM.

^^Click for my beamshots!!^^ My Flashlights

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Solscud007 View Post
    However extreme crenelations, like that of the Surefire Porcupine, could actually shank someone. Other types like GGGAZ offer sleeved strike rings to attach to your G2. are made of steel and can multiply the force used to a more concentrated area.

I have the GGGAZ crenelations for my M2 bezel, and while it has a ring of small teeth, it is not pleasant at all to be poked by it.
    I agree. I have one on my 6P and it is definitely made to injure someone.
    Funniest CPF thread ever. I promise it'll make your day.

Quote Originally Posted by DimeRazorback View Post

I forgot about that!

Yes head trauma can have that effect on memory

Quote Originally Posted by dudemar
    I agree. I have one on my 6P and it is definitely made to injure someone.
    Depending on your locality it could also turn said flashlight into a concealed/prohibited weapon
    My modest collection HERE & 55w HID spotlight project HERE