Surefire G2 Striking Capability

Tiresius

Enlightened
I've seen compatible defense bezels for g2's online. But the main concern I have about g2's are the nitrolon bodies. The tube wraps around an aluminum inner tube but the threads that holds the bezel is all nitrolon.

Does any know if the g2 is capable of taking damage if we shank an attacker with a defense bezel on it? The nitrolon body is identical to hard Polyurethane when fully set and hardened.

Has anyone even tried putting a defense bezel on a g2 and use it in a combat situation? It's not as durable as the 6p but surefire didn't make the g2 a nitrolon body just for a non-conductive, corrosive body.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
It will work just fine, then once you have a good lawyer, he/she will be able to convince the jury that when you replaced the standard bezel with a wicked-looking crenellated one, that it didn't constitute prior intent for assault. :)

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
A (mini) flashlight isn't a combat weapon, nor an impact weapon.

Hopefully, the pointy bezel fad is dying away.

vizlor

Newly Enlightened
If you carry a flashlight for self-defence, you are fooling yourself. If you need to defend yourself, carry something else or just strike someone without it.

But to answer your question, it will not break, but it won't give much weight to your punch either. If you're going to keep bringing it to brawls you're going to have to stock up on some spare bulbs though, which will cost you more than just simply buying a bigger light or a serious weapon or mace.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
FYI, Nitrolon is a proprietary aramid glass-filled polymer so not identical to hard Polyurethane.

:wow: the depth of technical knowledge here never ceases to amaze and humble me, all i know is check cell voltage, put cells in light, turn light on (and change mode) lol

if anything goes wrong, come running to CPF for help :D

lovecpf

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
A (mini) flashlight isn't a combat weapon, nor an impact weapon.

Actually it could be used as a "strike focus" for say pressure point defensive tactics concentrating the strike over a very small area (I've seen a Scottish self defense instructor using this approach)... but then so could any similarly sized object ;)

Hopefully, the pointy bezel fad is dying away.
One can only hope, never been a huge fan of those Klingon type bezels :shakehead

manoloco

Enlightened
crenelated bezels have their use, if not exaggerated.

they keep the edge of the head round and protected, specially from falls, p60 based lights tend to be head heavy (more if using a malkoff type drop-in)

they let light pass, so you dont leave them turned on by accident (or by curious people)

i guess if you dont like them the easy way is not to buy them?

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same concept -- a glass fiber reinforced plastic. But fiberglass usually uses a thermoset (e.g., epoxy) for the resin. Nylon is a thermoplastic.

I really doubt that Nitrolon is an aramid-glass fiber composite. Aramids are used as the fiber component in composites, not the matrix component. It's probably a confusion between aliphatic polyamide (e.g., nylons) vs aromatic polyamides (e.g., para-aramids).

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
I do have some further details somewhere- I'll see if I can find them...
Definitely glass-filled Nylon.
I admit to not understanding 'plastics' enough to determine whether both SureFire's statements are essentially the same or actually contradictory. I'll investigate if I get time

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aramid is short for aromatic polyamide. If Nitrolon is glass-filled nylon, then it cannot be glass-filled aramid. Nylons and aramids are two clearly distinct polymers.

Size15's

Flashaholic
It appears then that I was using old terminology, likely replaced because it was inaccurate. Thanks to those who know about polymers for helping to update and correct me!

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back on topic, to striking with a G2, I dont see the problem. But I think "shank" is the wrong word choice. Pressure points are what you should be applying force too. flashlights can be for self defense but you need training and practice. I look at the E2DL like a kuboton with pointy ends.

striking to the face and other sensitive areas might help create a moment for you to escape.

However extreme crenelations, like that of the Surefire Porcupine, could actually shank someone. Other types like GGGAZ offer sleeved strike rings to attach to your G2. are made of steel and can multiply the force used to a more concentrated area.

I have the GGGAZ crenelations for my M2 bezel, and while it has a ring of small teeth, it is not pleasant at all to be poked by it.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
However extreme crenelations, like that of the Surefire Porcupine, could actually shank someone. Other types like GGGAZ offer sleeved strike rings to attach to your G2. are made of steel and can multiply the force used to a more concentrated area.

I have the GGGAZ crenelations for my M2 bezel, and while it has a ring of small teeth, it is not pleasant at all to be poked by it.

I agree. I have one on my 6P and it is definitely made to injure someone.