The North Face Base Camp Travel Can

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog...y_rn=&cm_vc=Search?link=image&variationId=002

I bought this today for $25. It's cool. Didn't even know what I'd use it for. I got home and started playing with it. Now I want ten of them.

It has mesh pockets with elastic on each end inside, another along the length of the flap with two tabs that you can put pens or markers in(or a loop to hold up the mesh when the bag is open like I did using the>>), hanging strap with fastex buckle, zipper and slip pockets on the flap itself, daisy chains down two sides, carry handles at each end.

Pelican 1050 for size reference:
dscn4569.jpg

For us flashlight nerds...taking your Li-ion chargers and a DMM along with you?
dscn4567.jpg
dscn4568.jpg

Headed to the beach with the family, and want to take along some essentials, the camera, some sunscreen, spare shades, lip gloss, and personal hygiene stuff in case you're stuck using Porta-Pots?
dscn4570.jpg
dscn4571.jpg

Tired of having a hard time keeping track of chargers, cables, and connectors for the digital camera, video camera, portable DVD?
dscn4576q.jpg
dscn4577.jpg

Need a double tough shaving kit?
dscn4572i.jpg
dscn4573.jpg

Ever want to make the home first aid kit portable?
(this is just a bunch of random crap, wasn't going to tear into any kits for pictures)
dscn4580.jpg
dscn4581.jpg

Tired of looking for a decent place in your pack for those clumsy fuel canisters?
dscn4578.jpg
dscn4579a.jpg

Headed to a CPF get together, and need a portable toybox?:poke:
dscn4574.jpg
dscn4575u.jpg

I probably won't use it for any of those things:rolleyes:--well, the stove and fuel canisters..that setup's going to be used if I ever manage to go hiking again. I like that a lot.

Last edited:

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
reserved-I might add some pics of how I set it up, and what I actually use it for.
I put split rings on the last loop of the daisy chains at one end and attached a little shoulder strap, plus added a carabiner from a Pelican case to attach a water bottle, or make it easer to hang the bag with the attached strap. Oh, and there's a NiteIze S clip with a CMG Ultra-G on one of the split rings, too.

Last edited:

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know. Bought it around the mid-90's.
I've taken great care of it. Probably the only piece of gear I've ever babied. Comes out long enough to boil a pot or cup of water, and immediately goes back in the case. Except for the discoloration on the arms and burner, it's good as new.
"PRIMUS" on the burner is the only marking. The arms fold flat, so the whole thing can go in a shirt pocket if you want it to.
dscn4583.jpg

Last edited:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
All those lights, but no spare batteries? I'm disappointed in you.:sssh:

But, yeah, cool bag. I saw one at a local outdoor's store (****s), and thought it looked alright. Kind of bulky, but well made.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
They make a bigger version that comes with a shoulder strap, and has a lot more room without being anything close to "big". $39, though. Nice bags, but they're proud of that TNF label!