Reflectors for XP-G: Post your tests here

ergotelis

Enlightened
So, lets begin with mine:

-IMS 17mm: Not bad but not good too.Big hotspot few artifacts.
-IMS 20mm: Not bad but not good too.Big hotspot few artifacts.
-IMS 27mm: Maybe the best match for "small" reflector. Nice hotspot with good throw.

-Carlco 17mm: Avoid No good hotspot and a artifacts.
-Carlco 20mm: Better than 17mm, big hotspot and less artifacts.

-23mm smo for XR-E from KD: Very pleased with that unexpected good results.
-52mm alu smo for mag V3 from KD: Very nice too, excellent throw and beam profile.

-Mag stock smo reflector: Excellent throw,has artifacts,needs perfect focus to avoid most of them.

-Der Wichtel smo for P7: Very nice focus but focuses a bit high, some light is escaping, if it is made longer then it would be a perfect match.

-Classic op P60 reflector from DX: Nice beam profile, not well defined hotspot and surely not for throw.

-Smo P7 reflector 27mm from Photophanatic: Nice focus and beam profile,though IMS 27mm was better.

This is for time being. I have a lot of other reflector to test. Just check my sig i shall test all other available reflectors. No beamshots, it is too difficult now to set proper focus without host and take a snapshot. That is all what i saw with some experiments.

Please post all you guys what other reflectors work nice or bad with that new led! To add, tint from Cutter for the xp-g R5 is magnificent! Something between WG and WH, Not that yellowish/greenish or pure white. I like that a lot!:wave:

Last edited:

Calina

Enlightened
Thanks, this is a great idea.
It should be done for every LED model. and these threads should be stickied or included in a "threads of interest" sticky.

Beam shots would be nice but if you can't do them could you measure the beam angle of the hot spot and of the overall beam.

Also sku numbers for the KD and DX relectors would help since they have so many.

trout

Enlightened
Dont know if this qualifies but here it is anyways.

cutters 7 up XPG R5 board 39 mm dia with kathod 6 degree optic to match . it is for a bike light and real sweet

beamshots009.jpg

gibby_z

Newly Enlightened
cutters 7 up XPG R5 board 39 mm dia with kathod 6 degree optic to match . it is for a bike light and real sweet

Looks like a flood rather than a spot.

How hard are you pushing these?

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
While its not a reflector.....here's my findings with XP-G R5 in a Surefire E2DL using the original TIR optic.

If it was taken off the board it would focus better without having to unscrew the top bezel as much.

001-36.jpg

003-44.jpg

gibby_z

Newly Enlightened
Not bad at all!!

Has anybody tested or have shots of the 25mm 4up version from cutter?

ergotelis

Enlightened
Of course, if anybody knows, post about any optic that is good. For time being ,for XP-G's i would go with IMS 27mm and the KD V3 mag smo reflector. Right now i am trying to swap an emitter to an Eagletac P100A2.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
XP-G in Jet II IBS, nice spot about the same size as the Jet II Pro IBS but with much more spill

Jet II Pro IBS Cree XR-E Q5 on left, Jet II IBS XP-G R4 on right both with smooth reflector. I had to unscrew the head of the Jet II a tiny bit to get the best focus

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=245040

1003720w.jpg

Romisen G2 with XP-G on the right, the spot is a bit bigger but it has more spill, Compared to the Jet II Pro IBS Q5 on the left.

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=245035

1003713.jpg

AlexGT

Last edited:

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice, i have been thinking of getting cutter 7up. Which driver are you using?

Dont know if this qualifies but here it is anyways.

beamshots009.jpg

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
XPG R-5 tried on a few reflectors:

Ultrafire C3 reflector: Donut
IMS 17mm reflector: Donut
IMS 17mm stippled : Very slight Donut,
Reflector from Nichia 1W falshlight: No Donut, small flaws
Same nichia reflector stippled: No donut, no flaws, perfect beam.

All of the above increased hot spot size vs. original C3.

img3158n.jpg

bstrickler

Enlightened
Anyone know how well the McR-18 reflectors work with XP-G?

I'm looking to toss an XP-G R5 in my Minimag, and it looks like the McR-18 will fit, but I don't want to end up buying an XP-G and an McR-18, to find out the beam is hideous, then need to buy another reflector.

~Brian