advice/recommendations for a new EDC

DS7089

Newly Enlightened
hello friends. :)

im looking for a new edc, and im leaning towards the Fenix pd30+

but im wondering if anyone has any suggestions/advice/recommendations/condemnations/fighting words/or general your mama jokes.

i'd greatly appreciate the help. thx!

Ajax517

Newly Enlightened
PD30 is a bit large for EDC unless you normally carry tools on your belt anyway. What do you normally carry for, work or SHTF?

If this is the only light you will carry and it has to be pocket or keychain, I would look at something in single AA or 123 form.

Fenix LD10, Quark AA, Nitecore D10, etc.

neninja

Newly Enlightened
I recently got a PD30+ as an EDC and think it's fantastic.

The 2xcr123 format is just the right size for me as I find 1xcr123 too small to comfortably hold. The PD30+ sits nicely in the hand.

It has decent throw but with plenty of spill and a really bright hot spot. I also find the included lanyard, clip and holster very useful.

I'm really pleased with my choice.

UpChUcK

Enlightened
For EDC I personally like single cell lights (1xAAA, 1xAA, 1x123). My EDC is a Maratac AAA. The ITP A3 EOS is the same light but with different knurling and a keychain attachment. That is what I carry in my pocket. In/on my backpack, I also carry a Lumapower Incendio 1x123 and a JetBeam CLE v2 1xAA. I'll throw other lights in as needed but those 3 above are always with me.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
i also prefer single cell lights as user lights. (mismatching different voltage cells and only needing to carry one spare battery to make it work again instead of two)

for longer actual use i do prefer longer frame lights too. longer use as in more than couple minutes at a time.. bigger lights that "fill the hand" are convenient to use when task takse more like 5-30minutes. any longer than that.. then i suggest headlamp :)

pd30 sounds right length for lengthy constant use.. (i use Lmini2 as that.. with 18650 battery.. other choice for similar size is jetbeam pro3 st. the 18650 has more runtime than two cr123s and its rechargable.. )

this size already asks for big pockets or belt holster in my mind. smaller lights you may still carry conviniently in your pocket.

1cr123 lights are too small to my liking too. thats why my most edc lights are AA lights.. nitecore d10, 47s quark aa, jetbeam pro1, etc. and they all are also compatible with Li-ion rechargable 3.6v battery (14500) too. if i carry two AA sized lights on me. other has Nimh and other has li.ion in it. and i can still mix them up if needed. i do like the option of using primaries and rechargables in same light. and AA battery lights do work sufficiently with basic alkalines bought from closest store if neccessary. (or harvested from closest tv remote as it happened with my itp eos couple days ago)

and i do not like to use primary cells as my user lights. i keep them as sparebatteries but actually i use rechargable versions in every light i truly use.

CampingLED

Enlightened
...but im wondering if anyone has any suggestions/advice/recommendations/condemnations/fighting words/or general your mama jokes...

:welcome: Your mama says: "If you can wait a while, buy a XP-G light, if not, buy a cheap light and replace it in a few months."

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can't go wrong with the RA Clicky, Nitecore D10 or Novatac lights!!

nickdolin

Newly Enlightened
Carrot, care to elaborate?

Because I'm stuck between the two myself.

The Quark is the floodier of the two, plus a neutral option is available.

The Fenix is the thrower of the 2 but it likely overall brighter with the R2 over the Q5 or Q3 in the neutral quark.

carrot

Flashaholic
First, I think the PD30+ is ugly (too lumpy).
Second, the Quark 123^2 has more knurling, and is also R2. I also like the threads better on the Quarks than on the Fenixes, they are more robust. The pocket clip is excellent but I see Fenix now also offers one (finally)